Public Land Stand Options

USAF Ret

I am hunting a military installation. Very blessed to have the opportunity. It is the flip of a coin each week as to what areas are open. I bought a new climber. I have used them extensively for bowhunting, but have not hunted for about a decade as life got in the way. I have gotten in pretty bad shape since then. Currently 90% disabled with back, shoulder and neck issues. I attempted to use the stand my first time out blackpowder hunting, but messed myself up pretty good and stopped at about 10 ft up.

Since then I have been using a pop-up blind, but have been getting busted. Also, the ability to have a good visual is impeded. Ex, went to set up on a food plot yesterday and literally could not see over the vegetation.

With that long diatribe, I would like to ask suggestions on using ladder stands on public land. Any suggestions on securing them from theft and folks using them? Any fairly lightweight ones that are not too cumbersome?

I have a few areas I don't think get hunted much due to access and folks not knowing what the spot is capable of. So, I have that going for me.

Thank you for your experience and wisdom.

Last edited:
Are you against using a mobile stand set up? Either a stand with climbing sticks or a climbing stand if you have trees that will work.

I have gotten away from pop up blinds, the only time I have luck with them is if it’s in a location you can leave it brushed in. If I’m on the ground I like just a pad against a tree or a turkey chair (way more comfortable) if there’s a cedar I can tuck into or some other brush.

Check state laws. In Idaho you can use any stand you find open on public ground. First come, first served.
It doesn't matter who owns it or set it up.

Hauling a ladder stand isn't super easy. Fairly heavy and awkward to carry between trees. But once you have it set up it's there. About the only way to keep others from using it is to remove the bottom section of ladder when you leave and haul it in and out when you hunt.

Are you against using a mobile stand set up? Either a stand with climbing sticks or a climbing stand if you have trees that will work.

I have gotten away from pop up blinds, the only time I have luck with them is if it’s in a location you can leave it brushed in. If I’m on the ground I like just a pad against a tree or a turkey chair (way more comfortable) if there’s a cedar I can tuck into or some other brush.
Original post, can't use a climber due to physical disability. Climbing sticks would not work either, as I don't have the dexterity to set up or climb up and in.

Hauling a ladder stand isn't super easy. Fairly heavy and awkward to carry between trees. But once you have it set up it's there. About the only way to keep others from using it is to remove the bottom section of ladder when you leave and haul it in and out when you hunt.
I would set it for the season. The stands have to come down at the end. I have a couple of spots I would want to stick to, so once put up, the stand would stay. I think I could get one of those deer carts to haul it out to the spot. Like the idea of removing the lower section.

Buddy of mine made a lightweight metal tube ladder stand only 10' tall and it has bicycle wheels & tires attached to it near the top where the bend from ladder to seat occurs.
He wheels that back on public ground, stands it up, ties it off, hunts out it, then uses it as a rolling deer cart to haul his deer out.
Pretty slick set up for public.

Maybe you need to bring a taller stool/chair and some camo netting to allow for easier relocation, but still be much smaller/lighter than a big pop up blind. Utilize surrounding vegetation for the majority of your concealment and the netting doing the remainder of your hiding.

If you need to, judicious pushing down of surrounding vegetation can create shooting/viewing lanes out from your hidey-hole.

A light, commercially made ladder stand still weighs 50# or so. There are also tripod stands meant to carry. Some have wheels. The lightest way to make one is from electrical conduit. You can bend and braze yourself.

I used to hunt with a 70-something busted up old vet who was fused this way and that and couldn't turn his head without moving his feet. He hunted from Summit climbers. He said he only got about ten or twelve feet up; "just high enough to see". If you're going to leave a climber out overnight, get aluminum. Also never leave it out when weather is freezing as water can collect in the tubing, expand and burst the tubing. 10' really is high enough because that's all the high you need to be to get out of ground air current.

Air on the ground doesn't move the same as air higher up. Learning to avoid a whitetail's nose on the ground a whole 'nother level than doing it ten foot up a tree. I bowhunt off the ground from a Millenium tree seat or turkey lounger, depending. The difficulty isn't in staying hidden from their eyes. It's knowing how and when air flows across the landscape.

Rivers west pack and stack was the lightest ladder that used to be made. I have hauled them in several miles. Not sure if they are still made. They don’t have a large platform if you need that

Buddy of mine made a lightweight metal tube ladder stand only 10' tall and it has bicycle wheels & tires attached to it near the top where the bend from ladder to seat occurs.
He wheels that back on public ground, stands it up, ties it off, hunts out it, then uses it as a rolling deer cart to haul his deer out.
Pretty slick set up for public.
Man, I may need to do something like that. I don't have the engineering mindset, but I can follow a pattern.

A light, commercially made ladder stand still weighs 50# or so. There are also tripod stands meant to carry. Some have wheels. The lightest way to make one is from electrical conduit. You can bend and braze yourself.

I used to hunt with a 70-something busted up old vet who was fused this way and that and couldn't turn his head without moving his feet. He hunted from Summit climbers. He said he only got about ten or twelve feet up; "just high enough to see". If you're going to leave a climber out overnight, get aluminum. Also never leave it out when weather is freezing as water can collect in the tubing, expand and burst the tubing. 10' really is high enough because that's all the high you need to be to get out of ground air current.

Air on the ground doesn't move the same as air higher up. Learning to avoid a whitetail's nose on the ground a whole 'nother level than doing it ten foot up a tree. I bowhunt off the ground from a Millenium tree seat or turkey lounger, depending. The difficulty isn't in staying hidden from their eyes. It's knowing how and when air flows across the landscape.
Good thought. I may just try and get 10 feet up or so. We still have leaves, but they are starting to turn. Later in the year I will be sticking out.

Original post, can't use a climber due to physical disability. Climbing sticks would not work either, as I don't have the dexterity to set up or climb up and in.

I hate to say it, but if you can't handle either of those options physically, a ladder stand is not going to help you unless you can get someone to put it up with you, and then you can leave it setup on post.

I hate to say it, but if you can't handle either of those options physically, a ladder stand is not going to help you unless you can get someone to put it up with you, and then you can leave it setup on post.
That was the thought.

In TN in most places stands can’t be left overnight. If they are allowed they should be first come first serve. A stand should not reserve your spot, nor should it tie up a usable tree from others’ use.

On top of that, carrying in a ladder stand is heavy and cumbersome. I’d venture a guess that if you can’t climb a climber then you won’t be able to tote in a ladder stand, but I could be wrong

With the disabilities you describe there’s no way I’d get in a tree because it would be hell when/if the fall arrest harness is activated. I bowhunted from a folding chair this AM. I’ve killed two deer that way now. If you play the wind and only move when the deer’s eyes are obstructed you can kill a deer. Plus you see a whole lot better than if you’re in a blind.

With the disabilities you describe there’s no way I’d get in a tree because it would be hell when/if the fall arrest harness is activated. I bowhunted from a folding chair this AM. I’ve killed two deer that way now. If you play the wind and only move when the deer’s eyes are obstructed you can kill a deer. Plus you see a whole lot better than if you’re in a blind.
Thank you. I may have to do that.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back