Looking for OTC archery elk hunt opportunity for 2022

Sharp stick

None of my 2 normal hunting buddies are up for a hunt this fall due to other commitments. I ain’t getting any younger at 62 so I don’t want to just hope for next year as nothing in this life is guaranteed. I have inquired to several Colorado outfitters about drop camps so I can save on the wear and tear and avoid carrying an elk out on my back . All have a 2 person minimum, for safety reasons I get that. I’ve been diy archery elk hunting for 25 or so years every 2-3 years. The area I am use to hunting seems over run with folks the last 2 trips so I’m looking to try somewhere new. Didn’t get drawn for Az again so back to OTC back up plan. So that’s my story, I know, sucks to be me right? I would like to find some one a maybe in my age range that I might be able to keep up with if needed ( as I typically hunt somewhat slow ) compared to some young bucks I know. I’m thinking a drop camp 2nd or 3rd week of Sep, Somewhere with OTC either sex elk tags. I’m not willing to sit this season out and I plan to hunt one way or another but would prefer to team up with someone if possible. If this interest anyone, let me know.

Sure wish you’d have posted this up before the end of the Colorado draw. Put in for my old OTC that’s now draw.
I’ll be 61 come September and usually hunt alone, but wouldn’t mind company.
Like a 76 year old told me a couple years ago, us old farts have to stick together.

I’ve been working on one of my buddies who has been riding the fence on elk hunting this year since he has been unsuccessful on 2 diy hunts and even 1 guided hunts. He wants to go with a guide if he goes, I prefer to go the cheaper route. Too bad we can’t find an option that serves both hunt preferences..

Have you considered llamas? Can't hunt next couple years but intend to use llamas as I approach 60 to take strain off back and legs. Still better with two of course.

Reactions: JAG
I think I would prefer to be dropped off by horses like in a typical drop camp then left alone without any horses in camp to contend with over renting lamas and being responsible for them all week. I don’t have much experience with horses either but I have rode them a few times

great idea, know of a danish hunter who done just that and got a great bull as well as a monster mulie

None of my 2 normal hunting buddies are up for a hunt this fall due to other commitments. I ain’t getting any younger at 62 so I don’t want to just hope for next year as nothing in this life is guaranteed. I have inquired to several Colorado outfitters about drop camps so I can save on the wear and tear and avoid carrying an elk out on my back . All have a 2 person minimum, for safety reasons I get that. I’ve been diy archery elk hunting for 25 or so years every 2-3 years. The area I am use to hunting seems over run with folks the last 2 trips so I’m looking to try somewhere new. Didn’t get drawn for Az again so back to OTC back up plan. So that’s my story, I know, sucks to be me right? I would like to find some one a maybe in my age range that I might be able to keep up with if needed ( as I typically hunt somewhat slow ) compared to some young bucks I know. I’m thinking a drop camp 2nd or 3rd week of Sep, Somewhere with OTC either sex elk tags. I’m not willing to sit this season out and I plan to hunt one way or another but would prefer to team up with someone if possible. If this interest anyone, let me know.
Sent you a PM

Mine can do 10-20 miles a day loaded, depending on terrain and their fitness
They are amazing critters and becoming more popular all the time for back country hunter. I just prefer to not be responsible for someone else’s animals while I am out hunting. To each their own I guess

For sure,
I definitely wouldn't look at taking care of horses in the back country and try to compare that to llamas.... Definitely two different animals. We always joke that a horse's goal is to kill me, kill everyone else, and then kill themselves 😂. Basically the same phrase we used for clients when I was a rock climbing guide.

I'm terms of someone else's animals, I feel you there. I could never rent my guys out. Depending on someone else to not overburden your animals, especially something like elk hunting just seems too risky.

Last edited:
And I have only been on a horse no more then 1/2 doz times. And I agree that they try to hurt a guy when they feel like it. I’ve seen it. I know nothing about riding or caring for a Lama

Best of luck to you. I have been on 3 drop camp elk hunts. 0 / 2 with the bow and 1 / 1 with rifle. All of which in Colorado.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back