looking for Javelina in unit 22

Mntman

Been looking for them since Jan 1st and have not seen any in the old haunts.
Whats up with that, and other hunters been out in AZ in unit 22 and seen anything?
If so let me know by email or post here.
Thanks,
Allen

south of strawberry and pine are loaded with pigs.... in the pine trees down to the wilderness area....
Delw

Never hunted 22 for pig but I have also seen pigs in the area south of Strawberry/Pine. I have also seen some on that flat brushy stuff on the right hand side 3-5 miles before Pine coming from Payson. I have seen pigs a couple years ago in the southwestern portion of mazatal wilderness accessed from beeline highway. I am not sure exactly where the boundaries are but the area around the verde river near bartlett/horseshoe is loaded with pigs. I have also seen them a couple times in that creek that runs around the base of Mt Ord but has always been 1 or 2 never seen an actual herd there. Do you have the water cathments book/map that the game and fish sells for $50? A couple years ago a buddy of mine shot a pig in 22 and it was near one of those azgfd water catchments. Good Luck!!

Alan, I would make a suggestion, but I've never hunted in 22. Good luck and Good hunting................
cool.gif

THERE A HEARD AROUND CHALK MTN BY HORSESHOE LAKE AN OTHER AREA IS SOUTH OF RYEON THE WEST SIDE OF THE HWY THERE ARE SOME WATER HOLES THERE ABOUT 2 MILES IN ....YOU CAN SMELL THEM BEFORE YOU GET TO THE AREA

ALL SO TRY THE ARE AROUND THE TONTO VILLAGE

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have hunted roosevelt, the barnhardt trail area by rye, and by the bushnell tanks area.
Going to look into the areas by pine and payson this weekend and let you all know what I find and get.
Thanks again for the help.

Allen, I lied. I have hunted that area and I hunted it for pig. Pumpkin Center.. Just south of there is a road that leads west up the east side of Mr. Ord. About 2 miles up that road a large drainage opens on the south side of the road. When we were up there, that drainage was filled with pigs. That was a while ago and I had forgotten. Glen reminded me about it..

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

cool.gif

If you go back up into the area around chalk mountain do you have to pay at the entrance to the Horseshoe Dam recreation area? I was back up in there today trying to get over to Chalk Mountain and couldn't find the service road that takes you up in there.

Mtnman, how did your trip up to Pine/Strawberry go? Did you see much sign? I am going up there on friday morning bright and early and hopefully spend the day. I was in the Bushnell tanks area today for about 5 hours on the ground and didn't see anything fresh at all. Where are the pigs in 22? The only thing I saw was a real nice herd(9) of mulies with a 4x4, a 3x3, 2 spikes and 5 does.

Well, I have been skunked by the pigs this year
frown.gif

Did not see any! Smelled some over by sunflower on 393? towards bartlett lake about 5 miles off the old sunflower road.
Saw plenty of quail and deer but no pigs.
Well, trying to go to CA for a hog hunt soon but not getting the details worked out soon enough. May go in the fall/winter.
Good luck to all of you other jave hunters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back