Caribou Gear

Looking for info for reduced recoil loads for 308 and 7.08

arffdog875

I am looking for info on reduced recoil loads for my wifes 7.08 and 308. She has just started hunting and does not tolerate very much recoil. She shoots the remington reduced recoil 140 grain factory loads well, I was hoping to duplicate them on the reloading bench. I would like to eventually work her up to heavier loads for both rifles but for now starting light to avoid flinching or other problems. Can anyone help?? Thanks!

I have a 7mm-08 that I reload. I use 45.8 grains of IMR 4350 with a 140 grain nosler partition. I don't feel anything other then a little push.

I have a savage youth 7mm-08 for my kids (12 and 10 yrs), they have shot it with:

100 grain Hornady HP (#2800) bullets
Remington cases
CCI Large Rifle (#200) primers
47 grains IMR 4350 powder

and haven't complained about recoil. I haven't checked it against factory loads, however this is what I load.

KRS

Check your older reloading manuals or look for loads using SR 4759. They were developed for reduced velocity plinking loads. Another avenue, but you have to be VERY careful when using them are loads using Blue Dot. Here's a link to a lengthy thread from another site describing the use of Blue Dot:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2612182/1

Remember, powder weight has a bigger influence on recoil than bullet weight. You may be able to reduce them enough by using a slightly faster powder (which will have a lower maximum weight) and not lose too much velocity. I've done this for my 338 Win Mag.

Dan Johnson wrote, "If you want to estimate the recoil of your particular gun and load, here is a simple if not absolutely precise formula: Powder weight in grains plus the bullet weight in grains multiplied by the powder weight in grains divided by 80 times the gun's weight in pounds." that would seem to indicate that powder weight and bullet weight have the same influence. I see you think different and wondered why?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back