Looking for camping info around SE Montana

HuntingJudge

Hey everyone I know I am new here but a long time hunter looking to change things up a bit. I am looking for camping info from Baker - Ekalaka or around the Broadus area. I know there is National Forest there and some BLM chunks but i was wondering if there is a bunch of camp sites/ easily accessible, or if it will be struggle in November to find a spot. I don't know if there is much worse than 410 during archery season. If anyone has any information on this I would very much appreciate it. We will be in wall tents not campers.

If people click on this and have no information, how about posting something for you hunting camps you couldn't live with out... Early elk camp is the portable shower, every couple days its nice to clean up a bit. During the late season I love my jet boil just a cup of something hot can make the brutal cold days a bit better.

I know information is not free so if you would like any information on:
Deer or ducks I am sure i could help especially along I-15 top to bottom

What are you looking for in a site? You can pull off anywhere on BLM and set up a tent for the week, also if you are hunting BMAs many landowner will let you set up on their place and will tell you where they would prefer you to set up.

That is kind of what I am look for is there a bunch of designated camp sites around there or places people have used a bunch, or is it going to be a more of pull off the road an camp where ever we can hit BLM. I am sure I will be hunting BMA's so that is good to know that they will allow camping in a few of them. I have never hunted that area and was just looking to get a idea of what I am in for.

I've never been into Broadus...but the gas station on Adak was better than the one in Ekalaka, the credit card terminal for the pump on Adak mostly worked. There is hardly any infrastructure in/south of Ekalaka, but Baker has just about whatever you need.

I've never been into Broadus...but the gas station on Adak was better than the one in Ekalaka, the credit card terminal for the pump on Adak mostly worked. There is hardly any infrastructure in/south of Ekalaka, but Baker has just about whatever you need.
Do you mean Alzada, I have never heard of Adak.

If I was you I would pick a few areas you want to really focus on and setup shop not to far from where your hunting. The area is pretty vast and you can go in all 360 degrees and turn up some chunk of public. Wall tent camps are the best. Good luck. Try to limit your party to less then 5 it's getting pretty crowded over there.
Is judge joe brown a real judge?
Couldn't tell you who joe brown is.......

There are showers in Alzada and Broadus, along with ice, beer, water, etc. Tons of spots to camp on public, just try to locate a spot on the lee side of a ridge that is facing southern and avoid having your stove facing into the wind, it can backdraft your tent if your exposed too much. I would say the biggest deal is remove all your trash and watch out for fires. Good luck

Oh boy... welcome to the sh#t show. Randy’s gem that he has provided for all to behold. You shouldn’t have a problem finding a legal buck just don’t forget to get it checked for cwd. New year new rules.

I appreciate the responses knowing there are some showers/ gas information that stuff is awesome to know when we are out for ten days. I deal with the CWD up where I am at in Northern Montana so I will read through the regs but I bet its at least close tot he same.
I figure the deer hunting will be much of the same as what I have been hunting in the breaks, same number of people, same quality of deer. Just looking for a change of scenery, maybe meet some new people. The group I will be hunting with will be a wide variety of people from a Trophy hunter, to a 12 year old and a new hunter who is about 30 and never hunted before.

The problem I have is I cant make it that far away on a weekend with all the sports my family has going on. Thanks again for the information.

I am a real Judge 20% of the time the other 80% is spent being a dad/husband, coaching football/ baseball, and hunting.

Last edited:
It is really easy to stay in Belle Fourche, SD and make the drive into SE Montana from there. That's where we camped for our antelope hunts into Wyoming and Montana last year. Seen plenty of deer as well.

Also, get your reservations ASAP. I make mine for next year while I'm there. Many do as well.

We put up shop on BLM land last year just off the road. We could step out of our tent and be hunting thousands of acres without driving anywhere if we wanted. The designated camping spots in the Custer in early September were pretty well spoken for when we went out there on a scouting trip. We hunted late November and decided to not hunt the Custer. We saw lots of trucks pounding the main roads but no orange a mile or further in. Good luck.

Attachments

• 46452368_10213014265972726_6396987641430016000_n.jpg
    46452368_10213014265972726_6396987641430016000_n.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 50
We hunted that area for the first time last year and had the same concerns, but all of them were unfounded. There are endless places to camp, although we didn't see any places that looked like designated camping spots. Granted, we never set foot in the Custer, but there are plenty of good spots to kick off the road and set up shop on BLM and State land.

Reactions: LCH
We put up shop on BLM land last year just off the road. We could step out of our tent and be hunting thousands of acres without driving anywhere if we wanted. The designated camping spots in the Custer in early September were pretty well spoken for when we went out there on a scouting trip. We hunted late November and decided to not hunt the Custer. We saw lots of trucks pounding the main roads but no orange a mile or further in. Good luck.
Do you get a lot of double takes hauling your Ice Castle that far west? I bet they don't see too many in that area! Looks like a nice camp setup.

Back