Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Looking for a Packer in CO GMU 80, 81

Mike Ladd

My partner and I are hunting the last week of the archery season in CO Unit 81. My searching as left me a bit short of finding someone(s) available to horse pack for us if needed. I'm hoping some kind soul on this forum can point me in the proper direction. All help is appreciated. I would like to make a good contact before we leave for the hunt. Thanks in advance.

check Conjeos River Outfitters. They are on forest road 250 to Platoro. They used offer a packout service.

Call the forest service and ask what outfitters are licensed in your area. I bet there are a few that would pack an elk out for you. You should still be prepared to get it out on your own though, often times they can be busy that time of year. Will you have cell service? Sat phone?

I may be wrong, but I think Conejos River Outfitters is now being run out of Antonito, which is out in the San Luis Valley, but may outfit in the South San Juan Wilderness. I believe they were affiliated with the Rainbow Trout Ranch, which is on FR 250 a few miles North of the berg of Horca. Rainbow Trout Ranch is a upscale Dude Ranch that does a lot of horseback rides in the San Juan Wilderness in the Summer months. I met one of their dude rides a few weeks ago when I was coming out from a pack trip down that way. When I brought up the subject of the missing college boy in 2015, that was last seen jogging away from their ranch, the wrangler wanted to move on pretty quickly. I guess I don't blame him though.....
Anyway, I've never heard any negative feedback on Conejos River Outfitters.

Cell service in the South San Juan Wilderness?
Hahahahahahahahaha! Good luck with that!
I live in this general area, and can tell you most places in the backcountry you won't have service, unless you're absolutely on a mountain top and still relatively close to the San Luis Valley in Unit 80. In Unit 81, you can forget it.
A satellite phone or a DeLorme Inreach is the only way you're going to be chatting with anyone down there.

Cell service in the South San Juan Wilderness?
Hahahahahahahahaha! Good luck with that!
I live in this general area, and can tell you most places in the backcountry you won't have service, unless you're absolutely on a mountain top and still relatively close to the San Luis Valley in Unit 80. In Unit 81, you can forget it.
A satellite phone or a DeLorme Inreach is the only way you're going to be chatting with anyone down there.

That's my point....How does he plan on getting in touch with someone once the elk is down..

There are some lodges and resorts that a person might be able to beg a call from. The little berg of Platoro on the North end of the South San Juan wilderness has phone service, and at the other (South) end of the Conejos canyon, the even smaller berg of Horca has phones. It's a good 20 miles between the two. I guess desperate people will do desperate things to be able to make a call!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back