Look at me, look at me... I drew a moose tag.

Beautiful bull moose! Great job keeping after it! Many people may have given up if they didn’t find blood right away.

P.s. I’ve killed 2 elk and a few whitetail with the thor hammers. I’m less than impressed with the knockdown power but they shoot very consistently out of my gun.
Given the amount of flesh and bone that bullet had to go thru on a quartering to shot before getting to a lung, I’m impressed.

@sneakem did you end up gutting him to see how it did? I’m guessing you severely damage one lung and maybe liver?

Given the amount of flesh and bone that bullet had to go thru on a quartering to shot before getting to a lung, I’m impressed.

@sneakem did you end up gutting him to see how it did? I’m guessing you severely damage one lung and maybe liver?
No.. I did him gutless and boned out. He’s too much animal for one man to handle. I recruited a friend to help me roll the other half when I finished the first side. I would guess that I got one lung. His chest cavity was full of blood when I stuck the knife through the ribs. Didn’t get to the guts as we were spent after getting all the meat and the head.
I will say the hole looked more like a bruise and did very little damage to the meat passing through…🤷🏽‍♂️. Obviously it had enough juice to do the job, but I thought it would thump a little harder. Thought it was a better choice than a powerbelt and it shot some sweet groups…

IMG_4623.jpeg
You can see the entrance hole in the hide and through the shoulder, obviously the quarter has already been separated and sitting lower anatomically, but it was mid quarter in the pocket, maybe slightly less angle than shown but not much…

No.. I did him gutless and boned out. He’s too much animal for one man to handle. I recruited a friend to help me roll the other half when I finished the first side. I would guess that I got one lung. His chest cavity was full of blood when I stuck the knife through the ribs. Didn’t get to the guts as we were spent after getting all the meat and the head.
I will say the hole looked more like a bruise and did very little damage to the meat passing through…🤷🏽‍♂️. Obviously it had enough juice to do the job, but I thought it would thump a little harder. Thought it was a better choice than a powerbelt and it shot some sweet groups…

View attachment 294993
You can see the entrance hole in the hide and through the shoulder, obviously the quarter has already been separated and sitting lower anatomically, but it was mid quarter in the pocket, maybe slightly less angle than shown but not much…
Muzzleloaders just don’t have that much umph. I think a lot of folks overestimate them because of how big the bullet is. That bullet did well to make it thru that shoulder then the ribs and get thru a lung. It’s just a big chest cavity to fill to create pressure to push blood out thru lots of meat and fur. I wouldn’t base future use off this experience alone. It hit that bull pretty hard to make it thru a lung. A powerbelt probably wouldn’t have done it.

You had the right bullet for the shot.

Congrats again on a stud bull.

View attachment 294993
Sorry if I missed it earlier but what’s your bullet grain and how much/what kind of powder?

Incredible bull and sorry thank you for sharing the adventure. That's fkn awesome!

Lock up the brakes, pull off the road... bull trots into the trees.
A bit of a rookie rookie mistake here. Seasoned road hunters coast to a stop. Generally out of sight of the target animal if possible. Whether or not you leave the vehicle running depends on several factors. . . from what other hunters have told me anyways.

All ribbing aside, that is an awesome, hard earned, dream bull right there. I’m jealous. Congrats. Thanks for sharing

A bit of a rookie rookie mistake here. Seasoned road hunters coast to a stop. Generally out of sight of the target animal if possible. Whether or not you leave the vehicle running depends on several factors. . . from what other hunters have told me anyways.

All ribbing aside, that is an awesome, hard earned, dream bull right there. I’m jealous. Congrats. Thanks for sharing
Or
IMG_2390.gif

.50 cal 300 grain Thor, 79.9 grains (weight) of Blackhorn, roughly 115 by volume.
That’s plenty of umph for the task the muzzy are more like a archery kill than a rifle when we hit animals back out and give them time just like a arrow

Hell of a bull, sneakem. Your dedication and skill as a hunter are always impressive, and your hunting stories are some of the best. Really enjoyed following this one. Congratulations on the enormous moose and I hope you get an equally impressive elk come rifle season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back