PEAX Equipment

Longest Shot on a game animal

Not big game but a coyote at 310 to 325. Actually that was my first coyote now that I think about it. I'd like to get comfortable with shooting further for when we head west but there isn't anywhere at least that I have access to in this area that I can shoot out past 250 or so to practice.

Last edited:
I think what's most important in terms of "Long Range" hunting is knowing your limit on a living animal and to stick with that max range.
I like that. Randy and the Latvian Eagle on a podcast when discussing this topic I believe hit it dead on when they made the point that went something like if you were dall sheep hunting on a once in a lifetime hunt where blood=notched tag and this sheep is bedded, are you going to take that shot or are you going to move ahead to that next ridge cutting the distance down in half?

370 meters, 275 H & H, Leupold, 160 gr Woodleigh, Stone sheep

we flew in and set up camp, just a spike camp, as we did not intend to be there that long. 5 days later o_O.

Although it took forever to get in range of him, especially since I do not consider myself a long range shooter and 370 meters was approx 300 meters further than my normal shots with the 348, the hunting Gods guided my shot perfectly and he went down with the one shot.

I am watching this thread to see if anyone has used a 257 Weatherby as I have an opportunity to obtain one and am researching that caliber/rifle and the ability to obtain ammo for it
Killed my biggest mule deer at 422 with a 257 wby. Held where I wanted to hit and the bullet found its mark. The cartridge is flat shooting. If you can get one pull the trigger don’t hesitate.

I like that. Randy and the Latvian Eagle on a podcast when discussing this topic I believe hit it dead on when they made the point that went something like if you were dall sheep hunting on a once in a lifetime hunt where blood=notched tag and this sheep is bedded, are you going to take that shot or are you going to move ahead to that next ridge cutting the distance down in half?
The idea of not getting closer if possible has never entered my mind. I know people who will intentionally shoot further than necessary but I don’t hunt with them. Every shot I have taken or seen taken is because it was deemed not possible to get closer without spooking the animal or the opportunity would pass if a shot wasn’t taken.

That’s the context I am reading in almost all the replies. The truly long range shooters on this forum have mostly not replied. Probably because this thread’s “ long range” isn’t really long range with what can be done with a dialed in rig in the hands of a skilled shooter and because they don’t feel the need to explain to people they know won’t understand.

Two elk are tied for my longest.

A 6 point bull at 620 in AZ with a 7 RM 160 accubond, AZ402 and a friend of his where with me on that one.

A cow elk at about the same distance, IIRC, it may have been 623, 7-08, 140 accubond, on a very rare, dead calm day in Wyoming. A friend shot a cow from the herd and they started making their way down a slope to a saddle. There were 3 cows lagging behind and they stalled out in the saddle, now or never type deal. Having a January day with no wind was the real challenge.

Been a handful of others between 400 and 500, a few more in that 300 range, and a vast, vast majority 150 or less.

Closest I recall is a bull elk I shot with Oak one day with a .338...might have been 10 yards.

Farthest I've ever witnessed was last winter, a friend shot a coyote at 930, first shot, cold bore hit.

I wanna puke at this thread. Is longest shot and calling it a personal best make you feel good? How about closest shot. That's way cooler and worth bragging about!
The kid in class who raises their hand and leads with “I don’t actually have a question, but I do have a comment...”

I’ll just say more than 1/4 mile, less than 1/2 mile and leave it at that.

I had to lean over the side of a tree stand to pop a turkey on Thanksgiving day. Must have been 11 maybe 12 feet.

370 meters, 275 H & H, Leupold, 160 gr Woodleigh, Stone sheep

we flew in and set up camp, just a spike camp, as we did not intend to be there that long. 5 days later o_O.

Although it took forever to get in range of him, especially since I do not consider myself a long range shooter and 370 meters was approx 300 meters further than my normal shots with the 348, the hunting Gods guided my shot perfectly and he went down with the one shot.

I am watching this thread to see if anyone has used a 257 Weatherby as I have an opportunity to obtain one and am researching that caliber/rifle and the ability to obtain ammo for it
FWIW, Stone Sheep with a 275 H&H is the classiest thing I’ve read about in 2020. Tip of the hat, ma’am

Thank you ladies and gentlemen. Very enjoyable stories.

Some of you guys have been on some great hunts. Congratulations And some of those shots are way past my ability, well done guys.

For years we estimated my longest shot was approx 300 yards on a Coues in Arizona. We did not know the exact yardage. I used a 257 Roberts with a Weaver scope.

Years later I was able to kill a Gemsbok with one shot at 312 yards using a 300 H & H wearing a Swarovski and from memory we were using Bitterroot Bullets on that hunt

Salmonchaser: right back at you and I bet when toad was in camp she brought a smile to your face. What a sweet girl. I also noticed you gave up a good fishing spot just because a brown bear wanted to fish there. did you tell him you were there first (-;

Guys thank you so much of your replies. Marvelous recollections of days gone by, and some damn good shooting. I hope each of you are able to add to those memories this fall.

My closest elk was 7 feet. 06/180 partitions. Next there have been a number between 30 and 100 yards 43 elk; 100 deer +/-; 54 years hunting, only a few were over 300. Only 2 were over 400. Don’t recall ever shooting one over 200 yards that I hadn’t tried to get closer to.
During my career I shot at least once a week, I spent 20 years as a SWAT sniper and instructor, trained regularly out to 1000, I think any thing over 300 is getting to be a long poke.

Attachments

• C6315B0B-E05D-4D01-ACC5-89677517C4AA.jpeg
    C6315B0B-E05D-4D01-ACC5-89677517C4AA.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 057FE684-5F87-4C2B-9799-01D2E7CEBC2C.jpeg
    057FE684-5F87-4C2B-9799-01D2E7CEBC2C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 5F2F4DEB-9CE0-4E80-A618-1B193859F162.jpeg
    5F2F4DEB-9CE0-4E80-A618-1B193859F162.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Farthest was a mule deer buck at 430, closest rifle shot was a bull elk at 45 yards. Farthest coyote was 620.

278yds (ranged) bedded blacktail 3x4 ...6.5x55 Kimber (of Oregon) Swede w/ Power-Shok 140 Grain Soft Point...342yds (ranged) running mule deer 3x3, Ruger Mod. 77 30-06 w/ Federal 165 Grain Swift Sciroccos....thought my buddy had wounded it and I ended up putting it to bed only to find out that it had a fugged up hip injury and he had cleanly missed it initially. Those are the only two shots I believe I have ever taken over 250yds as I spend as much or more time with a bow in my hands than a rifle and really enjoy the stalk as much or more than the shot.

I wanna puke at this thread. Is longest shot and calling it a personal best make you feel good? How about closest shot. That's way cooler and worth bragging about!
Funny how nobody stated it was their personal best so take it elsewhere...to appease your holier than thou attitude...6 feet with 54 caliber hawken

Last edited:
I shot my first (and only) antelope last year at 550 yards with my friend’s custom built 6.5x284 with 143gr ELD-X. We were on a small knob looking at another group when we noticed a different group with a nice buck grazing behind us. There was absolutely no way to get any closer without being seen. One shot, it ran about 40 yards, laid down and died. 87598A9E-D4D8-4C8E-8E98-C29B5FEE3754.jpeg

Last edited:
I think my longest has been pretty modest by most standards. We were sneaking on some antelope to a field edge when another truck stopped on the road 3/4 of a mile out. That sent the herd running around the hill we were behind. I spun around and sat with the shooting sticks, and was lucky to have the herd run around in front of us. I waited for one to stop and he fell at the shot. Ranged it after at 330 yds. That was the first animal I took with my Bergara .270 and Hornady SST 130gr. Killed my bull a couple weeks later at 80 yards, same setup.

I’ve spent a lot of time at the range with this rifle and would feel very comfortable to 400 yds, but I would prefer to get closer if I can.

My longest was a Muley doe at 808 yards at 6* downslope. I wasn't "out to prove" anything, the conditions were absolutely perfect (dry, zero wind or close and the temp was identical to my load testing conditions a week earlier) - The doe was standing near a trail that led directly down to my truck about 200 ft below her, so it was simple math that she was gonna be the meat deer being that close to the truck. No real talent involved, I had a perfectly flat spot and was able to prone out, load my bipod and setup my shot for a good 15-20 seconds before squeezing off. I have had other opportunities at similar distances but in every case I have chosen to close the gap and try to get inside 400 wherever possible. shooting a Christensen 338 LM with a Steiner military 25x and handloaded Nosler ABLR 265 gr over 104.4gr of RL33.

My closest elk was 7 feet. 06/180 partitions. Next there have been a number between 30 and 100 yards 43 elk; 100 deer +/-; 54 years hunting, only a few were over 300. Only 2 were over 400. Don’t recall ever shooting one over 200 yards that I hadn’t tried to get closer to.
During my career I shot at least once a week, I spent 20 years as a SWAT sniper and instructor, trained regularly out to 1000, I think any thing over 300 is getting to be a long poke.

There is a lot of wisdom in that bolded sentence.

My longest (402) was a 1 shot kill on a bull elk in Colorado. Great conditions, all the time in the world, best rest you could ever hope for in a huge rock at the perfect height. Spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to get closer. Sako A7 300WSM Leupy VX3 with Federal Barnes TSX.

Closest was an whitetail buck at 14 yards with a shotgun with sabot slugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back