Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Longest Shot on a game animal

330 meters for this kudu. And I wouldn't have taken the shot if PH had given me the distance. He said take the shot so I did. It was the eleventh hour just before dark of last day. I was using a borrowed 30-06 CZ Ebony Edition with 165 Barnes. I missed the same bull a half hour earlier. Gun was 1.5 ft low at 200 meters. I made the adjustment, aimed way up between his horns, and dropped him with a neck shot standing facing us downhill. Gun was on sticks front and back. Shot the impala with my 30-06 Springfield at 280 meters. Dropped in his tracks with 165 gr Partition. That is not my kind of hunting but do what you're told over there. I prefer tracking in snow for up close and personal. Obviously that is not going to work with African plains game.2019-08-28 kudu with gun.JPG2019-08-23 impala.JPG

I’ve shot several deer between 350-400 yards. 1 coyote over 400.
My most surprising shot was dropping a hog somewhere around 225 yards with 00 buckshot. Hail Mary payed off on that one.

2020 shot a cow elk at 384 with Savage 7mm-08, 4-12X40 Nikon Prostaff with BDC, 139 gr Hornady Superformance GMX. I had shot my rifle plenty and knew the ballistics by heart, but double checked on the Nikon SpotOn App. Placed my BDC where I wanted it and squeezed off the round. Bullet hit right behind the shoulder and took out both lungs and the top of the heart and exited through the back shoulder. She was standing at the top of a ridge and ran about 10 yds before hitting the ground and sliding all the way to the bottom. Made packing her out way easier since I didn't have to make multiple trips up and down the ridge.

In 40 years of hunting, almost all my shots have been less than 200 yards.
I like to call in moose so they are typically close, my closest was 25 yards.
My closest Dall ram was 40 yards and I shot a double-shovel caribou at 30 yards.
My closest shot ever was a Sitka Blacktail at 10 yards.
I'm not against long-range shots, just has worked out that either I could get closer,
or the first shot opportunity was less than 200 yards.
I do practice with reactive targets to 350 yards which would be my personal max distance.

My longest shot an an animal was 320 yards on an antelope. 243 with a fixed six. One shot was all it took. I’ve made another 300+ yard shot on a cow elk that was also a one shot kill. Those shots are as long as I will take, at least with my current setup and practice regimen.

About 300 was the longest shot I ever took and that was on the biggest muley I ever got. Living in the east, my practice range only goes out to 300, so I am just not comfortable going out beyond that.

As an aside, I met this guy the day before elk season in SW Montana last year. We were both scouting, I was walking and he was on his UTV. He stopped to chat with me and we started talking about guns and such and he asked me what I used and I proceeded to tell him about my Tikka .308 and how I limit my shots to 300. He goes on to tell me all about his super awesome custom built rifle and how he regularly shoots game at 1000 yards plus and insists that is the only way to consistently kill elk and he explains to me his hunting style is basically to ride around in his UTV until he sees some elk off in the distance and closes in within 1000 or so. He then proceeds to boast about his nice bull that he killed over in Idaho a couple of weeks prior employing such methodology. I thought to myself, WTF this guy is bat shit crazy, but I didn’t want to be rude so I just politely gave an awkward smile and walked on my merry way.
Where do they grow these people?!?

I only know for sure one long shot. 330yds with Rem M700 in 6.5x06, Shilen barrel, 140gr Hornady Interlock, 3-9x Nikon. I zero all my rifles for MPBR at normally an 8" target so normally just hold dead on and shoot. On the long one I shot just to say I killed a game animal at around 300yds. Terrible reason to take the shot but one shot into the chest. Deer walked off about 20' and simply laid down dead.

My longest shot at a game animal,,,,, with a big rock,,,, was about 25 feet. 10 feet horizontal 15' down.

50 years ago I was hiking across the Canadian Rockies,,,,,only had a knife. Back then there were no trails, no bridges, no maps just nothing and nobody but lots of bears, both kinds.

Before going I was in a museum on the east side and they had a big plastic relief map of the Canadian Rockies. I took notes, drew maps and had some friends drop me off on the west side. I fugured two weeks for the trip. It took almost three.

The river crossings were the scariest. About two weeks in I was getting more skinny and trying as best I could to live off the land. I snared a fat Marmot. No prize but the grizzlies liked what was left

Anyway up against a cliff there was a herd of big horn sheep bedded down. One had a broken fron leg. It spun around as he was running.

Some predator would get him and decided he was mine. I felt my guts growl just looking at him.

There was a tiny ledga above them. Risky to think about going out there but raw hunger ruled. My notion was to drop a small boulder, big rock on his spine and break his back.

I found the right rock got above above them and inched my way out on the ledge. The tipping point was so specific that I had to tuck the riock under chin. Holding it against my chest would have taken me down with the rock,,,the wall was so stepp behind me.

I was filled with a brural hunger for meat. The most I have ever known. I kept swallowing my saliva, drooling i was.

I aimed, I planned, I imagined an then let the big rock go. My lefy an right was perfect but I watched the rock going just past his spine and tickle his little tail aa it dropped to the ground with a hard THUMP.

Big horns are just used to rocks falling, they paid no heed to it, looked up did not see me looking down drooling at them with my fangs showing.

About 300 was the longest shot I ever took and that was on the biggest muley I ever got. Living in the east, my practice range only goes out to 300, so I am just not comfortable going out beyond that.

As an aside, I met this guy the day before elk season in SW Montana last year. We were both scouting, I was walking and he was on his UTV. He stopped to chat with me and we started talking about guns and such and he asked me what I used and I proceeded to tell him about my Tikka .308 and how I limit my shots to 300. He goes on to tell me all about his super awesome custom built rifle and how he regularly shoots game at 1000 yards plus and insists that is the only way to consistently kill elk and he explains to me his hunting style is basically to ride around in his UTV until he sees some elk off in the distance and closes in within 1000 or so. He then proceeds to boast about his nice bull that he killed over in Idaho a couple of weeks prior employing such methodology. I thought to myself, WTF this guy is bat shit crazy, but I didn’t want to be rude so I just politely gave an awkward smile and walked on my merry way.
Where do they grow these people?!?
They grow up Out west why is he bat shit crazy? Sounds like he’s killing elk not my style with the atv but who cares?

Most of you guys will probably consider this a mediocre shot range, but the longest shot I have ever had to make was about 200 yds.

With that said, it includes whitetails, 'Lopes, Mouflon, pigs and black bear.(OH, AZ, NC, FL, HI, WY)

The 200 yd shot was on a Cold, Cold NC sunrise at Billy's place. He had me up in the Cherry tree stand. (Cherry because it was a prime spot, not the tree)

Shortly after full morning light 3 does walked out from behind a length of trees that cut two crop fields into separate sections, because of a little creek.

They paused. I picked one. 7RM, 162 Solid Base, stout load of H4831, mid-chest.

Bang, 1 jump, Flop.

The weird part of this story is that I got about 3/4's of the way to my deer I came up to frozen solid dead doe!

Seems to be a numb nut took a shot into a group of deer, and when the deer dropped flat in it's tracks, he assumed he missed because all the rest bounded of, then never went to check. (A$$wipe)

Anyways, 200yds max, so far. I'll try to not get any closer if it's a requirement, but would someone send a IM to to the amnials.....I'm not their Friends list.

They grow up Out west why is he bat shit crazy? Sounds like he’s killing elk not my style with the atv but who cares?
Actually he didn’t grow up out west as he was Eastern European.
I wonder for every animal shot at that range, how many are actually killed, versus injured. I would bet heavily that the injury rate is astronomical. Bottom line, it’s just stupid, but that’s just my opinion.
Just to be clear, it’s not the UTV that bothers me, but rather the 1000+ yard shot…

Actually he didn’t grow up out west as he was Eastern European.
I wonder for every animal shot at that range, how many are actually killed, versus injured. I would bet heavily that the injury rate is astronomical. Bottom line, it’s just stupid, but that’s just my opinion.
Just to be clear, it’s not the UTV that bothers me, but rather the 1000+ yard shot…
ok no problem-Some people can ethically shoot that far Many others definitely should never consider it.

558 but it was only to knock down someones wounded animal that couldnt hit it at 250 yards. Finally got sick of watching and expired the thing.

I've hunted big game every year since 69, most everthing taken 200 or less until i started hunting a friends treeless ranch for elk in 2004. Have taken an elk every year and several at 380-410 yds. Only quality standing shots on sticks with a 300 H&H, 358 Norma and 6.5 CM.

243 yards on a whitetail deer. That was my first deer with a rifle. When I was growing up, Wisconsin was shotgun only where I hunted. When WI went rifle, I went out and bought a clearance savage in 270 win (first year with their accutrigger) and topped it with a Zeiss conquest 3x9. Ranged the deer while it ate in an alfalfa field. One shot kill but no blood to speak of. Used a nosler accubond in 140 grain. Will never forget it.

I've taken a handful of whitetail at 380-420 yards, and 1 elk at 380ish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back