“Long range” non custom rifle advice

huntin24/7

I’m looking at getting a new rifle in the next year, and I’m looking at increasing my shooting distance. This would be mostly for elk, and when I say long range, I mean around 500-600 yard max. I’m well aware that good ammo, lots of shooting practice, and good optics are as important as anything. That being said, any recommendations for the best rifle in the $1000ish price range. I’ve looked into the browning stalker and hells canyon long range, particularly the .300 win mag w/muzzle break, as my wife will be shooting too. I’ve always been a Remington fan too, but I’m open to different rifles and calibers. Any thoughts?

Any particular brand on the tikkas? Part of the reason I was looking into the browning was the muzzle break since my wife will be using it at times too, and I figured for elk at that range, something in the 7mm-300 is in order. I have a lot of hunting/shooting experience, but lm lacking experience on longer range shooting and rifle hunting elk.

Browning, Howa, and Tikka will all have some nice offerings in that range. Make sure you save enough to get a good scope on it.

If you want light recoil without sacrificing performance and a good range of ammunition, 6.5 CM, .270, or 7mm Rem Mag are all good choices.

Here are two threads that lay out common responses to the ever popular “which rifle/which cartridge” questions. With practice and a good tracking scope I don’t think your “up to 500-600y” goals changes much. Pick a rifle from near the top of the first list, and a cartridge from the second list and get to the range.

Last edited:
Any particular brand on the tikkas? Part of the reason I was looking into the browning was the muzzle break since my wife will be using it at times too, and I figured for elk at that range, something in the 7mm-300 is in order. I have a lot of hunting/shooting experience, but lm lacking experience on longer range shooting and rifle hunting elk.
I was about to say what brockel did, just have a smith thread it if you need a brake. No need to blast 'em over with a cannon despite marketing. Bullet construction and practice matters way more than chambering in my experience.

Hunter format Tikkas don’t come with threading for muzzle brakes and (in the opinion of many including some manufacturers) the end of the light sporter contour barrels are too thin to safely thread for .308 dia bores. This is not unique to Tikkas, many of the factory sporter barrels are too thin for over 7mm dia bores to be threaded. But I know there are guys who do it. And there are threadless adapters (like Witt). But rather than go muzzle brake, I would go with something like a .270 or a .280 Rem with decent gun weight, stock fit and butt pad to have a manageable recoil rifle.

I’m a Rem 700 fan, BUT I usually end up with something that does not resemble the factory rifle. If you want great accuracy out of the box it’s hard to beat a Tikka, and it’s even harder to beat a Tikka without spending more money.

I have the Browning Xbolt long range stainless steel heavy barrel Fluted with break in 300 win mag. It’s an outstanding rifle. I couldn’t be happier with it. The gun was that $1400 range tho. A little expensive but shoots really well. It still has some kick but it’s manageable and I’ve been able to watch impact on all my shots with it. I use the 180gr sst from hornady. Always great luck with them.

Last edited:
I like Tikka, myself, but my most accurate current rifle is a Remington 700 SPS. 7mm-08. Helps that I found a terrific load that it likes. It will shoot a long way. The 700 is a very good platform.

But I always feel compelled to add, 600yds on a game animal in the swirling mountain air is complicated and should be avoided.

I personally like to Rem 700 Long Range if your not hiking too far, I dont think any come factory with a brake but its not a big deal to put one on and Id recommend a trigger tech trigger

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back