Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

“Long range” non custom rifle advice

Initially I kind of was thinking about the 7 mag or .300 for terminal performance on elk up to around 500 yards, but I’m open to other calibers you guys suggest that would perform fine for what I’m looking at.

I have a Browning HCS in .300 WM. The thing is a shooter, light weight, and buttery smooth, I love the rifle. I was very surprised at how low the recoil is with the factory (removable) brake.

Full transparency, the cons for me are:

1) It is extremely loud with the brake, I don't like to wear hearing protection in hunting situations, but I'm doing it now.
2) This is not a range gun. Shoots sub MOA for the first 4-5 shots, but heats up quickly and groups open up. Small impact to me, I'm a hunter not a range junky.
3) The 26" barrel has taken some time to get used to packing around, navigating brush, etc.

I've sorta got out of the magnum biz later in life, but if I were to get another magnum I'd probably be looking at the short mag family.

Initially I kind of was thinking about the 7 mag or .300 for terminal performance on elk up to around 500 yards, but I’m open to other calibers you guys suggest that would perform fine for what I’m looking at.
You don’t need a magnum to kill and elk at 500y. Use a quality bullet out of a .280 Rem (I prefer copper TTSX) and you will have plenty of terminal performance. Heck a 7mm08 (among others) will do the job too. Both with a lot less noise, muzzle flash and recoil than a magnum.

Last edited:
You don’t need a magnum to kill and elk at 500y. Use a quality bullet out of a .280 Rem (I prefer copper TTSX) and you will have plenty of terminal performance. Heck a 7mm08 (among others) will do the job too. Both with a lot less noise, muzzle flash and recoil than a magnum. Thanks
My 7-08 shoots a 139grn Hornady Interbond 2920fps and its about .6MOA. That's better than I've been able to do with my .270 so far. And yes, I'd certainly shoot an elk with it.

For elk sized animals at out to 600 yards, I'd opt for either the 7mm or 300 mag families. I'm a huge fan of the 7mm-08 but I'd like some more ft lbs out that far for elk. As for a rifle, I'd look at the Christensen Mesa. I'm really pleased with my Ridgeline and the Mesa carries the same sub MOA guarantee. It's a bit above your budget, but not by much.

I have the Xbolt stalker long range in 300wm. topped with a vx5. Love it. It shot hornady precision hunter 3/4 moa. Currently hand loading for it. I went with the stalker over the hells canyon simply for the price. Got it on sale for just over $700. Leaves extra money to put towards optics over the hc

As was mentioned already, something in 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 280 AI will get the job done.
Your wife will actually shoot the gun then too.
For light weight, the Tikka are hard to beat.
If you don't mind lugging around another couple of pounds, then don't overlook Savage.
My two walk about rifles (before i found my Forbes) are both Savages.
And i've done 600 yard matches with the one in 7mm-08. They are fairly repeatable shooters.

I’ve never looked much into the 7mm mag, but I was surprised how similar, at least ballistically, it is to the 270 wsm. I would’ve expected a larger gap. Good thing I have lots of time to decide. Lots of info to absorb.

7mm mag or .300 WM will both do it. Look at Nosler Accubonds or Federal Trophy Bonded. I generally think: all else being equal go with the bigger bullet.

Personally those are my two favorite bullets. And my Ruger M77 with a tang safety in .300 Winnie is my go to elk gun.

I have a Browning HCS in .300 WM. The thing is a shooter, light weight, and buttery smooth, I love the rifle. I was very surprised at how low the recoil is with the factory (removable) brake.

Full transparency, the cons for me are:

1) It is extremely loud with the brake, I don't like to wear hearing protection in hunting situations, but I'm doing it now.
2) This is not a range gun. Shoots sub MOA for the first 4-5 shots, but heats up quickly and groups open up. Small impact to me, I'm a hunter not a range junky.
3) The 26" barrel has taken some time to get used to packing around, navigating brush, etc.

My elk rifle has your (#1) & (#2) also. Mine has a 24" barrel with a slim line muzzle brake that adds about 2". It's the same outside diameter as the barrel is so it doesn't look like a "pickle on a stick." So it's Long and Loud!

I dislike carrying it through thick brush, but love it for out west hunts.

… But I always feel compelled to add, 600yds on a game animal in the swirling mountain air is complicated and should be avoided.
Best advice that I've read so far...

My "dedicated" elk rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby with a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope. I had a KDS brake put on it which lengthens the barrel to 26" but it kicks less than my .308 Win, also a Vanguard.

My foul weather "backup" rifle is a 7mm Rem mag Remington 700, also with a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope.

I regularly practice with both of these rifles out to 430 yards, but even at that range, proper doping of the wind is necessary.

So since starting this, I’ve been researching whenever I have time. Fortunately I don’t plan on buying this rifle for about another year. One rifle that’s intriguing is the savage 110 LRH. It has an adjustable muzzle break, so if the recoil is a bit much for my wife, We have the option of using it. I’ve looked at the 7mm mag and 280 AI in that rifle. The 280AI definitely has less bullet offerings, but has enough, and I do have the reloading equipment if needed. I’ve looked into the tikkas, brownings, and rem 700’s(it’s hard for me not to go this route since I’ve always had these). Calibers I like so far are 7mm mag, 280 ai, 270 wsm, and 308 and 7mm-08. It’s fun stuff learning this, but it’s made me realize I have a lot to learn.

When I here long range factory setup> I just think you need to shoot a nigh BC Bullet> Therefore a little faster twist is needed for various reasons. I know you can get that hells canyon with a 1-8 twist in 7mm mag

24/7,
If you reload already, then 7mm anything is WAY more versatile than 270.
Bullets range from 100gr varmint to 197gr MatchKings.
For 7mm-08( mine is AI) i find 150gr & under to be preferable. Really shines with 140gr. The "sweet spot" so to speak. Any heavier and the bullet really starts to impede into the powder space.
280 Rem (i have 2) will get you more speed. But do remember, it's NOT a Rem Mag!
150gr seems the sweet spot for these. Mine like the ABLR. Try Alliant PP4000!

The 280AI, again is still NOT a Rem Mag!
150gr ABLR & Ballistic Tip, 160gr GameKing, and 168gr Berger VLD Hunting all work well.
A 24" barrel will help pay dividends on your velocity!

Rem Mag likes slow powders and long barrels.
150GR ABLR is my most accurate bullet, over a charge of RL26.
160gr GameKings and 168gr Berger VLD Hunting perform well also.

With all of the above, don't be afraid to use mono bullets.

PS. My wife is more accurate than i am with my Rem Mag. More so the 280 & 7mm-08. But mostly the 280.

Well, if your gonna brake it....a .338 WM is hard to beat for an elk rifle, or any other game for that matter. My wife has used a Win. Model 70 in .338 WM (no brake) since ‘96. She’s taken several head of game out to 400 yards. Almost all of her kills have been one shot! As we handload, she’s using Barnes 225 grain TTSX’s @ 2950 mv. She’s capable to go farther, with good shooting conditions.

The rifle: there are several very good rifles available at reasonable, get whichever fits you and the wife Best, or better yet....his and hers! memtb

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t particularly like the idea of using a brake, and my wife will probably use it only a couple times. That’s the main reason I like the idea of the savage 110 adjustable break or browning with the removable brake, so I don’t have to use it, but she can use it for the few hunts she might need it. I’m definitely leaning toward the 7 mag for the variety of ammo options.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back