Caribou Gear Tarp

Long range group

Its really fun when you start reading stuff like this on the "internet", people really need to be looking at more important things like
1) If you can hold MOA to XXXX distance then what bullet are you using that well reliably expand at that distance? hint its a VLD and makes Hamburger out of animals meat....
2) ever ran your numbers on JBM ballistics to show how much energy and velocity you have at that range?

So what if your 300wby can shoot a 180gr accubond at 3200fps out the muzzle, your bullet needs atleast 1800+fps to expand that just limited you to about 800 yards of ethical killing. Change that bullet for a 210gr VLD berger and you just made that rifle into a LR hammer that will kill to 1200yards. Now you have the rifle can you shoot that far? Probably not. Im not going to even get into wind, but if you are asking a question about what a good group at 900 yards should be you got NO CLUE.

... is your rifle custom built and consistent? Or are you shooting a factory rifle you pulled off the gun rack and slapped a tacitcoool scope on and think your a LR hunter?

LR hunting takes lots and lots of practice with very consistent and concentric ammo. Not to mention spending time verifying actual drop charts, verifying actual scope adjustments, just cause it says its a 1/4moa per click is it really or are you guessing on something you never actually tested?

I build my own rifles for myself and hunting partners.... Because i want to know i setup that rifle up 100% and know what its capable of and what its not capable of. You dont need that much bullet to kill that far.... run a 6.5 Berger hybrid at 3150fps against your 30cal 180accubond on JBM ballistics and tell me? the 6.5 runs right past it and has half the recoil.

heres my 6mm-06 antelope rifle this is 200yards with a 105gr berger and H1000

heres my 7mm STW 168gr berger with RL22 at 300yards.

Sorry for busting balls but some people need to stop watching "best of the west"

you don't see benchrest shooters shooting accubonds for a reason...

So you saying Accubonds don't shoot well or don't kill stuff? That bench rest shooters don't use them really doesn't mean squat in the hunting world, LR or not. mtmuley

So you saying Accubonds don't shoot well or don't kill stuff? That bench rest shooters don't use them really doesn't mean squat in the hunting world, LR or not. mtmuley

100% NO, accubonds work well to there limits......All i was trying to get at is that some people over look things because they dont know any better.

By all means accubonds are great bullets, But i have different views on what is long range then others might. Which is why wind drift and bullet BC is more important to me.

Sorry for busting balls but some people need to stop watching "best of the west"

you don't see benchrest shooters shooting accubonds for a reason...

I have a factory rifle that I slapped (lapped actually) a "tacticool" scope on. It shoots well, well enough that I don't feel the need to experiment with additional load variations nor spend thousands on a "custom" rifle.

I also watch "Best of the West". I have hunted with John Porter, had a great hunt and a great time. I also watch Newberg and Rinella (though I have not hunted with them) and some others. I don't much care for the ones who dress up like everyday in the woods is Halloween.

So why the condescending attitude towards my equipment, or Best of the West for that matter?

I think you missed the point. There are a lot of people that have 'long range rifles' that have absolutely no idea what they're doing. They see the guys on the Best of the West dumping critters at long distances and they think there's nothing to it. So they buy one of their rifles, scopes, and ammo and all of the sudden they're long range shooters.

There's nothing wrong with a factory rifle as long as it shoots and is consistent.

He also brings up a good point about bullet choice and the effective killing distance of a bullet/cartridge. You may be able to put a bullet on target but it needs to have enough energy to do what it needs to do.

I think you missed the point. There are a lot of people that have 'long range rifles' that have absolutely no idea what they're doing. They see the guys on the Best of the West dumping critters at long distances and they think there's nothing to it. So they buy one of their rifles, scopes, and ammo and all of the sudden they're long range shooters.

There's nothing wrong with a factory rifle as long as it shoots and is consistent.

He also brings up a good point about bullet choice and the effective killing distance of a bullet/cartridge. You may be able to put a bullet on target but it needs to have enough energy to do what it needs to do.

BINGO thats exactly what i was getting at. Nothing wrong with a factory rifle as long as it shoots good (consistent) Not one hit out X number of shots. There is a difference between knowing and just doing.

Also to the guys comment above, I never said spend thousands of dollars on a rifle. Hence why i build my own and chamber my own rifles. Also take a look at every scope that those guys are using NIGHTFORCE, huskemaw to name a few. I spend most my money on optics that i know work.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back