Long range group

m5dx

What would you consider a good group out of a 300 WBY with a hunting round at 900 yards?

No idea. 900 yards is not an ethical hunting range to shoot at a living, moving animal.

I just get much closer. That's what you should do too.

If you are at an MOA at 1000 you are doing great. I think my best group out of my 300 RUM at 1000 was 8". Practice makes perfect.

1 moa is typical. So 900 yards would be 9 inches. If you cant hit that with every shot, then why would you attempt to take an animals life. Risk of injury, not being able to recover is something I wont risk.

I think it's funny how yall like to jump to all kinds of conclusions. He just asked a simple question. Never stated his ability or inability to do anything. Just a simple question. Maybe his hunting round can do 1 moa at 1000 yards. Dang so quick to judge

Whoa Fellas, settle down.

He asked a very simple question. Never once did he say he was shooting at animals at this distance.

My guess is the OP is relatively new to shooting at distance, otherwise he wouldn't have needed to ask this question.

IMHO, you should always practice shooting targets at a way farther distance than you plan on killing critters at.

practicing to 1k makes that 400yd shot a gimmie.

I routinely ring steel out to 1k. Sometimes beyond. Longest kill was considerable shorter distance than that.

I practice archery out to 100yds. My longest archery kill is WAY less than that.

To answer your question, I consider a great day at the range .5 moa at any distance.

Last edited:
No idea. 900 yards is not an ethical hunting range to shoot at a living, moving animal.

If you have no idea than why did you comment? I know people that shoot better groups at 900 yards than some people shoot at 250-300. How many people on here hesitate to take a 250 yard shot?

Its a loaded and vague question.

There are simply too many variables to answer it with any kind of sincerity.

IMO/E holding MOA to that range is no picnic...so a 9" 3-5 shot group at 900 yards would be pretty darn good. Depending on the ability of the nut behind the trigger, conditions, and ability of the rifle., it may be flat assed impossible.

True MOA may not even be attainable simply due to the rifle...factor in environmental conditions, lack of the shooter ability, etc. who knows??? A good group may be hitting a 4x8 sheet of plywood every time at that range.

I know this from spending a fair bit of time at the local rifle range here, true MOA is akin to finding a unicorn for about 80-90% of what I see at the 100 yard range. Rarely do I see anyone shooting better than 4-6 inch groups at the 200 yard range. For that matter, I rarely see anyone even shooting at the 200 yard range.

Finally, its a damn good thing most animals are shot at relatively close range, have relatively large kill zones, we have well constructed bullets, and repeating firearms...

Pay attention during hunting season to how often you hear only 1 shot, not often.

Its a loaded and vague question.

There are simply too many variables to answer it with any kind of sincerity.

IMO/E holding MOA to that range is no picnic...so a 9" 3-5 shot group at 900 yards would be pretty darn good. Depending on the ability of the nut behind the trigger, conditions, and ability of the rifle., it may be flat assed impossible.

True MOA may not even be attainable simply due to the rifle...factor in environmental conditions, lack of the shooter ability, etc. who knows??? A good group may be hitting a 4x8 sheet of plywood every time at that range.

I know this from spending a fair bit of time at the local rifle range here, true MOA is akin to finding a unicorn for about 80-90% of what I see at the 100 yard range. Rarely do I see anyone shooting better than 4-6 inch groups at the 200 yard range. For that matter, I rarely see anyone even shooting at the 200 yard range.

Finally, its a damn good thing most animals are shot at relatively close range, have relatively large kill zones, we have well constructed bullets, and repeating firearms...

Pay attention during hunting season to how often you hear only 1 shot, not often.

Very well said buzz. I agree on the last sentence 110%. It's rather sad really.

other than load development, I cannot recall the last time I shot targets at less than 300. Killed my elk last year at about 80yds though.

In a perfect world,on a calm day, I would say a pie pan.
A barrel is more like it from my exp. viewing & shooting.
About the size of a torso in my exp. @ a military range and off a few years back........
I agree with Buzz H on this one.

Sighted in and dialed is 2-3" @ 200 yards for me. 1/2" - 3/4" @ 100. If it's 2-3" away from dead nutts center of the target on a calm day,it's not dialed in. IMHO

My longest kill shot on an animal was last year,cow elk 405 yards on a rest. One put her down & the second shot to end it in the neck.

Usually less than 200 yards is my comfort range.

I have taken 29 bulls. I hunt the back country at 9,000 ft. I always attempt to get as close as possible. I've been fortunate enough to take elk from 10 yards to 811. I shoot 1/2 groups at 200 constantly. I don't know when the last time I've taken a follow up shot. I've been fortunate that I haven't lost a animal in over 25 years. I believe I am an ethical hunter as I practice all year round. I've recently made some changes to my setup that would allow me, if the situation warranted it that I could effective make a one shot kill at 1000 yards.

I just wanted a little feedback on what others where able to do, to see if what I consider a good group is unrealistic. I don't ride a round in the pickup smoking and drinking beer and call that hunting. Sorry for the rant, I just get tired of the internet morality police.

So tell us YOUR group size at 900. Better yet, a picture. How do you know you can make that one shot kill? Got some 1000 yard targets with a cold bore shot hit in the 10 inch vital zone? What rig are you shooting? mtmuley

No judgements, just an opine of me,myself & I. And I shoot an old Rem.700 30-06.
You do sound like you know what you are doing. And asked a ?
mtmuley asks a honest one too. What are you shooting?
I know lots of range masters who can't hit the broadside of a barn in the field . Any distance....

Last edited:
I haven't shoot a 1000 yet. I've only shot 850 and I could average a 6-7 inch group. You can't guaranty a one shot kill, but you can practice for one. I shoot a 300 WBY with 180 Accubond. With my Muzz. Vel. that bullet loose effective expansion around 1080. I don't think that's a shot I would take, as that's a long ways, I just was wondering what people are seeing group wise that might ring some steel. I only practice cold bore shoots and I've worked on this gun for 15 years.

Last edited:
I think you meant 1800 fps. At least that is what Nosler says.

You might consider a little more context when asking a question like that. I would have also assumed by the way it was asked that you may not know what you were doing.

I think you meant 1800 fps. At least that is what Nosler says.

You might consider a little more context when asking a question like that. I would have also assumed by the way it was asked that you may not know what you were doing.

I think he meant 1080yds is where the velocity dropped below that 1800fps threshold.

What would you consider a good group out of a 300 WBY with a hunting round at 900 yards?

Great question. You opened a fresh can with that one. Getr ready for everyone to jump your ship. The only thing you're missing so far is having Belly jump on too :eek:
Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back