Caribou Gear

long range bow hunting

Nut,
why is that? I know a few guys that are very accurate at 50 yards -90 yards but at the same time I know guys with guns cant hit shit at 100 yards.

Any arrow in the vitals is going to do the same damage at 40 yards as it will 90 yards.

Delw

that was me under my dad's name.i could not find my password and was not patient. :( the energy of the arrow is way to low to me in make a quick kill is why

Most of the time and arrow wont make a quick kill they usually run off and bleed to death. Ive seen animals shot at 10 yards run off and die 300 yards away....
quick kill is dead when it gets hit or in the first 3 steps not finding the deer with in 100 yards.

Delw

problem with shooting out past 30 yrds........noise of the bow.
they may not hear it at 90 yrds......so keep them under 30 or over 80 :D

So Nut, 39 yards is OK, but 40 is where you draw the line.. regardless of other conditions? Hilarious!

Greenhorn has a point, for example,

A 200 fps arrow at 40 yards is 50 fps/yard but

at 300 fps you could shoot 60 yards and still get 50 fps/yard performance.

If the wind was at your back, say 10 mph, that would add another 1/6 mile per minute, or 1/360 mile per second, or 5280/360 feet per second or 528/36 or 264/18 or 132/9 or 44/3 or 11.3 fps and you could shoot over 60 yards then. The arrow would get there with the same fps/yard performance as the 40 yard shot.

It helps to have a chart with this stuff taped on your bow, right Greenhorn?

If we were shooting down, we'd get another 32 ft per sec per sec, but it would depend on the sin or cos of the angle down somehow. What do you do for that condition Greenhorn?

I know you don't like those big spotting scopes, they take into account the curvature of the earth and that helps too, so how do you do it?

Wait a minute, I agree with you, give an example, and you decide its a fruitcake idea then? I'm going to stick to under 20 yards or so, I think, under the conditions I shoot.

I killed a mule deer at 70 yards in AZ. I am a huge big fat slob. My rig is sighted in to 80 yards and if there is no wind, no chance for a closer shot (like a prarie deer looking at me) and i can hit him with a range finder...... I am shooting. Well, i used to say that, my shooting has been worst the last few years because i do not practice as much. My Elk hunt this fall i will limit myself to 60 yards. For me, thats a big target.

An elk is 3 times bigger, I don't know how much, but bigger, than a whitetail and not as skiddish, maybe, I've heard, and that makes a lot of difference as does the speed of the bow and whether the animal is aware of you or not, etc. Just explain it a little, make it clearer, that helps.

Lungbuster, crank your bow up to 40lbs and start pumping iron (and drinking your milk) so you can pull it. :D

In a few years, when you get your bow upto 70#, compare the penetration you get at 30 yards versus that at 100 yards. Then, after you've shot and killed a few dozen animals under varying conditions, come back and tell everybody how a 39 yard shot is ok, but 40 makes you a slob.

Greenhorn, you probably drink more beer than milk. So what is your highest range on your bow site? I have 70 at this time. When i was in my prime of shooting ability i could pop 12 inch balloons at 80 yards 9 out of 10 shots.
Lungbuster, greeny is right. dont knock longer shots because you don't have the skill or poubdage to take them. When you get your bow cranked to 70 lbs you will see the truth. It is just basic math, like any shooting. If you can hold a 3 inch group at 20 yards you can hold a 9 inch group at 60 yards. So given that, and an elks kill zone is a hell of a lot bigger than 9" what is wrong with taking the shot at 60 yards?

So Greenhorn has reading problems.

It was my son posting under my name. You're hilarious

that dip-shit is hilarious....

this is a deer hunting forum......so were not shooting at elk in this scenario...the kid has a forty yard limit set for himself ,good job lungbuster!......dont listen to that shit stain.

It is good that he has a limit but this is how he put it:

anybody that shoots farther than 40 yards at a animal with a bow is a slob

I can read and I know this is a deer forum. I never mentioned elk.

I didn't call him a snot-nosed know-it-all little punk now did I? :D

When my kid says something stupid, I'll let him know too.

Greenhorn. that boy is drinking every bit of milk we get already. :(
He is snot nosed but he ain't little(6'3 320lbs) He is more of a lard ass right now. ;)

Honestly to me the only thing he posted wrong was saying those who shoot over 40 yards were slobs and under my screenname. But 20 year olds are something a little difficult to deal with at times.

He was taught by me to never shoot over 40 yards by me. Why? Because of the energy issue and WHERE we hunt.

Shit, now it looks like I am defending him. :rolleyes:

Forget I was here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back