MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Long-Eared Owls

steve sutton

Turkey hunting in SE Washington in early May I had encounters with this Owl on three consecutive mornings.....thought I was seeing more than one but wasn't seeing them both at the same time.....after the bird I was working gave me the slip on the third morning I was walking out and chose a different path around a low wet spot......the adult immediately flew to the area and started calling bringing the other adult in....lots of beak snapping and hissing and I knew that there had to be a nest nearby.....

pissedLongear-1rs.jpg

Searched for a few minutes and was just getting ready to give up when I realized that the birds were concentrating on not the trees in the swamp but a big low cottonwood on the edge of the pasture...less than 10 feet from wherre I was standing....checked that and found the nest at about 10 feet off the ground.....the nestlings laying low and just peeking over the lip of the nest.....

I climbed up into the tree and the boldest, and oldest, of the nestlings displayed his displeasure at the intrusion...

pissedOwlets-4rs.jpg

The hissing and bill snapping of the Owlet brought the female into the tree and just above me....at that point she was just barely outside the minimum focal length of the lens and not only was she behind lots of limbs I was not able to move enough on the limb I was on to be able to get a clear shot of her....if I had to do it all over again I would have switched to manual focus but didn't think of it at the time....did manage this one "decent" shot of her expressing her displeasure at my presence.

pissedLongear-3rs.jpg

That fired up the Owlets and brought the male into the tree with us...a couple of close passes near my head and I figured that even though these Owlls are only about half the size of Great-Horneds, and not nearly as aggressive, that it was still best to leave the tree rather than end up with a set of hooks in my scalp....

pissedOwlets-2rs.jpg

Steve

Actually "I did read the title". I thought that he was describing that the owls had "long ears". Have a great day.

good luck to all
the dog

That is pretty freaking cool!

That reminds me...a few years ago in the backcountry of Colorado, there was a cute little owl that was tooling around in the trees next to my tent and he was always there each night when I came back to camp. Pretty cool. I'll have to dig up a pic and post it.

Didn't mean to offend, dog.

If sutton doesn't mind, here are some more Long-eared Owls. Not the quality of his.

LEOW1-3.jpg

LEOW3-1.jpg

LEOW2rpt.jpg

LEOW1-2.jpg

LEOW1-1.jpg

Mama.jpg

LEOWnest.jpg

Somebody read the title, read the thread, and then hijacked the post. Really though, pretty amazing photos. You guys are crazy getting that close to the nest. imo.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back