AMK Sportsman

LOLO zone ID

BT_NVhunter

Just curious if anyone has experience hunting the general season elk in Lolo zone of ID what’s the land layout thick? Burns? Or is it zero visibility lol just hoping to speak with someone who’s had boots on the ground. Also are the bears thick around there?

JLS

If it looks like a meadow, it’s really a six foot tall jungle. Steep. Brushy. Can be wet as hell in October. Good bear numbers.

Follow game trails, hunt the benches, and be ready to shoot elk at 50 yards.

westbranch

To see elk they either have to be on an opposite ridge 1,000+ yards away or 10 yards away so the brush doesn't block your view. But the trees and brush are nice to hold onto due to how steep it is.

Good news on bears are the reduced price tags, and I think you can get two reduced price as a nonresident.

Reactions: JLS

lastlight

Welcome to the forum. Was in there for 10 days straight last year chasing moose. I looked everywhere for elk in case I wanted to return to hunt elk. No sign, no elk, many camps I talked to said the same. I saw one wolf and plenty of sign, tons of bear and lion sign too. I think they are eating white tails. Beautiful country but I wouldn’t head all the way into that remote rainforest for an elk hunt..

406LIFE

Welcome to the forum. Was in there for 10 days straight last year chasing moose. I looked everywhere for elk in case I wanted to return to hunt elk. No sign, no elk, many camps I talked to said the same. I saw one wolf and plenty of sign, tons of bear and lion sign too. I think they are eating white tails. Beautiful country but I wouldn’t head all the way into that remote rainforest for an elk hunt..
So you're the guy who got my moose tag?

BAKPAKR

There are lots of burns. I drew a leftover moose tag in the Lolo Zone several years ago. I didn’t find out until I got to the unit that about half of it had burned the year before. Although I did see more wolf tracks than elk tracks, I called a raghorn bull elk into bow range (no tag and no bow) and I heard a couple others bugle. I didn’t run into any elk hunters.

ccc23454

I seen a stud bull moose in there couple years ago (way up high in a burn) but i had elk and deer tags. Did find both but only few and none big enough to shot. More wolves than anything... Some desolate and remote places and beautiful country that is absolutely void of a huntable population. Last time there i bought my tag in Bozo on drive in mid season now Lolo sells out...lol idaho just taking $ from people and that year they listed it as "at objective" for population, idaho has some low game management standards.

dgc1963

I didnt get the tag for the unit I go to this yr and saw they still had tags for the lolo unit (10) left, talked with several folks at the local field office yesterday and I dont think as a NR I would go to lolo for elk but spring bear or lions for sure
just my opinion

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jay97070