Lock Times for Factory Rifles

MinnesotaHunter

Last summer, on the recommendation of BuzzH, I installed a Tubbs Speedlock firing pin assembly on my custom .260 Rem. At the time I basically understood the concept, but recently wanted to learn a bit more.

So.....I have been on paternity leave for the last couple of weeks, and while my new little one and wife have been napping, I have had some time to read about some shooting/hunting stuff. One of the things I have been looking at (thinking about) is the affect of lock time on field shooting accuracy.

The basic concept is this: "a reduction in lock time will cause your rifle to hit closer to where you held the sight when you pulled the trigger. Everyone's rifle is moving when it's fired. The amount of movement may be almost imperceptible, but that's all it takes. If you're shooting at a trophy deer at 300 yards, movement at the muzzle of only 0.058 inches means a missed animal. If you're a competitive silhouette shooter, just 0.022 movement makes the difference between a hit and a miss on a 500 meter ram. When lock time is reduced, the probability of hitting your target is increased." (from David Tubb, maker of Speedlocks)

My thought is that this idea is even more important in a hunting rifle when shooting from less stable field positions. The calculations on my 260 are that with my new assembly the bullet is about 25ft out the barrel, before the old assembly would have ignited the primer. Seems like a pretty nice advantage to me. I cannot say at this point that I have noticed a dramatic shift in accuracy, but anecdotally, when I have shot from field positions (sitting w/bipod in particular) things seem to have tightened up.

That all being said, I started to wonder how my other rifles compared to my 260, so I started searching the internet for mentions of other rifle models factory lock times. I found some, but a lot were no where to be found. I thought I would post up what I found and see what some of you guys who are surely smarter than me when it comes to this type of stuff, might be able to fill in the blanks. From what I have found, there is certainly some inconsistency in how this is measured, so don't shoot the messenger. Of particular note, given the recent discussion of the Tikka T3s, I found several sources stating that it has the fastest lock time of any factory rifle today.

While it certainly isn't the silver bullet to instant field shooting prowess, at half the price of a Timney trigger, guys ought to be looking at them.

Lock Times.jpg

MinnesotaHunter,

Like you I don't think theres any ONE thing that makes a great rifle.

But, my thought when I started down the custom/semi-custom route was, why not make your platform the best you can?

It just didn't make sense to spend the money on bedding, timney trigger, action truing, hand lapped custom barrel, etc. and not change out the firing pin assembly.

I wanted to take out as many variables as possible and have total confidence that I would get results that I could repeat every time I pulled the trigger.

It would be really tough for me to go back to a bone stock, off the shelf rifle again.

Best bet is to never know the difference...will be much cheaper in the end.;)

Talk about splitting hairs. Would there really be any visable difference in point of impact? Next thing you know someone will invent a remote control trigger so you can eliminate another imperceptable movement of your rifle when you put your finger on the trigger.

Instant...just add batteries.

Remington’s gambit to change primer technology was a huge flop. After years of research and development, they released the ‘Etronx’ electric primer and a special Model 700 designed to fire it and only it. In place of a cup and anvil design which ignited the priming charge under the impact of a mechanical firing pin, the Etronx used a 150-volt pulse to set off a proprietary electrically-ignited primer. The advantages of the system were that it allowed nearly-instantaneous lock-time and a very light trigger pull with almost no over-travel.

If the muzzle on your rifle is moving 50 thou when the trigger sear breaks you have more problems than a new pin spring will fix.

.005 is about .75" at 100yds.

So you've never pulled a shot 3/4 in?

So a faster lock time will help poor form? .25 gain with a fine tuned load is accuracy gained from the rifle itself. Seems lock time may only help the shooter. Maybe. mtmuley

If the muzzle on your rifle is moving 50 thou when the trigger sear breaks you have more problems than a new pin spring will fix.

Its not just about the speed, but also the fact that the chrome silicon spring will not take a "set" or "memory".

I've seen 2 firing pin assembly failures and one of them cost a good friend of mine an absolute slug of a mountain whitetail...the type of buck that just isn't around every tree.

The second one was on the range, and luckily I took Dad to the range here in Laramie prior to one of his pronghorn hunts. The spring in his model 70 was weak enough that it would only hit the primers hard enough to dent them. Luckily I had a couple spare rifles laying around the house he could borrow.

Again, I want to know, that I have the BEST parts that I can get on a custom rifle. I want any failure to be on ME and not the equipment. Its no different than having quality everything for fishing tackle, then tying a swivel on with a square knot...just flat doesn't make sense.

I have spent the better part of 2 decades applying for tags, wore out 4 trucks, and have spent thousands and thousands of hours hunting, researching, etc.

I want my rifle platform to be the best...and that includes a speed lock firing pin assembly for me. I put too much effort in to risk an equipment failure.

OK. So is it worth it to the average hunter? Will groups tighten in proportion to funds spent? As said earlier, never gave it a thought. Got some pretty targets from a bone stock rifle. And, to respond to Buzz, firing pin failures are rare. To have seen two of them is interesting. mtmuley

Last edited:
That's up the individual, but I don't think average hunter has much to do with it.

But what I can tell you is that hunting your ass off to get a rare opportunity at a giant public land mountain whitetail and have your bone stock ruger 77 firing pin assembly chit the bed on a broadside 50 yard shot really sucks.

I can live without the $44 a more reliable rifle part costs, but a blown opportunity over a failed part...yeah, you don't get those back.

OK. So is it worth it to the average hunter? Will groups tighten in proportion to funds spent? As said earlier, never gave it a thought. Got some pretty targets from a bone stock rifle. And, to respond to Buzz, firing pin failures are rare. To have seen two of them is interesting. mtmuley

I don't need to learn the hard way, and I don't need to relearn a hard lesson...I eliminate the problem.

A primer will fail before a firing pin I bet. I guess once something is in your head, it's there. I get it. That being said, I'm not gonna run out tomorrow and replace all my firing pin assemblies. mtmuley

I've never given lock-time even a millisecond of thought. mtmuley

Until you posted 4 times in response. Seems like a an interesting concept and a relatively cheap upgrade to improve rifle accuracy and reliability. It's really no different than speed freaks obsessing with archery. Or better yet, guys who like to take pictures and obsess over lenses, full frame vs crop sensor, etc, etc, etc while most of us are very happy with a decent point and shoot. In the end, I think guys have a passion for Different things and enjoy tinkering in an ATTEMPT to achieve better results.

Additionally, small tweaks here and there add up, Like counting ounces. After a while, they turn into pounds....especially on the mountain.

Back