Loan for hunting

holy hell - wondered where VikingsGuy went. and also wondered why i had never seen this BisonGuy until recently. this one got me!

edit- sorry the big derail.

giphy.gif

holy %$^&

i was literally thinking last night where the hell vguy has been. and since this thread have also been wondering who the hell BisonGuy thinks he is just showing up out of thin air and struttin such shit.

View attachment 259125

holy %$^&

i was literally thinking last night where the hell vguy has been. and since this thread have also been wondering who the hell BisonGuy thinks he is just showing up out of thin air and struttin such shit.
I feel better now...

I was however relieved when I noticed OntarioHunter and BGuy posting on the same day.

Got me too, til he showed up in an ongoing PM....totally wrecked the mental image burned in my tiny brain.
VG will be back by end of the month, likely after both my team’s disappoint in their respective playoffs in the coming weeks. Good enough to be invited to the party, but not good enough to carry the day I suspect.

so now that we have all figured out who @BisonGuy is, we can get back to the thread.

I think do whatever you want. if you have that disposable income to do it without being a hindrance to your family, why not? would i personally do it? Probably not. there are plenty of ways to finance this to get the lowest rate possible (in a time of rising rates). HELOC has been discussed, i haven't seen just a personal line of credit yet. many banks will do an unsecured PLOC for applicants with decent credit.

“The Coming of Neo-Feudalism” by Kotkin is on my reading list. Haven’t gotten to it yet, but understand the premise is the middle/upper middle income class will continue shrinking and we will largely be left with a permanent underclass that has no chance to have true economic agency and will largely be sustained by govt handout rather than individual productivity and this will all be overseen by a new “clerical elite” (think universities, mainstream media, govt officials, and favored professionals as a replacement for the catholic church) and new a new “aristocracy” (the uber-wealthy, especially tech derived fortunes). Sounds grim, but not that far from the mark if we are not very careful in the coming decade or two.
Nothing is permanent. History shows the problem fixes itself at some point, usually with severed heads on spikes. It seems every economic system results in income divergence and wealth inequality. We just don't seem willing to tweak anything to try to slow it down.

My profession as a school employee had me working summer jobs to pay for hunting/vacations/etc. Through luck and draws I eventually got 3 of the 4 NA wild sheep. I needed a Stone to complete. Then a couple of amazing people stepped up to help me go on a BC Stone hunt. It cost a third of normal, but that was still a hunk out of my savings.
Unfortunately we never saw a legal ram on that adventure and I came home empty. That would have really been bad, had I taken a loan out to finance it.

But I didn't quit. After two years of thinking I was done with my Slam Quest, I bought a run down house and my son and I spent the entire winter restoring it in our spare time. We were eventually able to flip it and we took the profits and went back to BC where I finished my SLAM.
If there is a will, there is a way, but I'm with those who think taking a loan is not the best route.

“The Coming of Neo-Feudalism” by Kotkin is on my reading list. Haven’t gotten to it yet, but understand the premise is the middle/upper middle income class will continue shrinking and we will largely be left with a permanent underclass that has no chance to have true economic agency and will largely be sustained by govt handout rather than individual productivity and this will all be overseen by a new “clerical elite” (think universities, mainstream media, govt officials, and favored professionals as a replacement for the catholic church) and new a new “aristocracy” (the uber-wealthy, especially tech derived fortunes). Sounds grim, but not that far from the mark if we are not very careful in the coming decade or two.
Read John Man's book on Marco Polo and the eventual demise of the Mongolian Dynasties. History always repeats itself.........

Nothing is permanent. History shows the problem fixes itself at some point, usually with severed heads on spikes. It seems every economic system results in income divergence and wealth inequality. We just don't seem willing to tweak anything to try to slow it down.
That's because DFF is ingrained in man's DNA.

My profession as a school employee had me working summer jobs to pay for hunting/vacations/etc. Through luck and draws I eventually got 3 of the 4 NA wild sheep. I needed a Stone to complete. Then a couple of amazing people stepped up to help me go on a BC Stone hunt. It cost a third of normal, but that was still a hunk out of my savings.
Unfortunately we never saw a legal ram on that adventure and I came home empty. That would have really been bad, had I taken a loan out to finance it.

But I didn't quit. After two years of thinking I was done with my Slam Quest, I bought a run down house and my son and I spent the entire winter restoring it in our spare time. We were eventually able to flip it and we took the profits and went back to BC where I finished my SLAM.
If there is a will, there is a way, but I'm with those who think taking a loan is not the best route.
This is pretty much the American dream, sheep style, congrats.

This post on another thread made me think and thought it deserves its own thread. @Big Fin or @wllm can put together some numbers and pretty graphs on this.

Is it though? We take out loans for everything now. The whole run out of health before money is a motivator when you have had a dream of hunting something. For some it’s easier to make a payment that has negative consequences verses making a payment to themselves for 5 years to be able to afford the trip.

I’ve been looking at an Alaska/Yukon moose & mountain caribou hunt like Fin did as a OIL trip. At 43 with two preteens saving 30k before I’m 50 is a tall task.

In all likelihood that 30k cost now will be 35k in 5 years when I can actually pay cash.

Will I pay 5k on interest on a 5 year loan?
If you’re looking for someone to say, “yes, take that loan, it’ll be the best decision you ever made.” I’ll do it. Take that loan, go kill a moose and a caribou, post your photos and stories here so we are all jealous of your adventure, and then don’t tell us how bad that monthly payment sucks, or complain about the divorce. 👍🏻

I posed the question to my wife and got a curious response:
She said people spend double that on vehicles that often don’t last or have much value beyond the life of the loan. Is that really that much different?
The one is see alot of guys do that I can’t is buy a brand new fully loaded Ford F350 diesel at like 80 grand and take it on a masonry or equipment operating job the next day. I know it’s a tax write off but dang that would hurt.

Back