Caribou Gear

Loan for hunting

This is the way if you are not wealthy. If invited on one I’d pack and help with camp and call that my dall hunt.
I'd have to agree with this..always wanted to go on a mountain lion hunt but can't justify the money. I'd love to just go as a guest though. Besides it's the dogs hunt, the hunter is just the trigger man in this scenario.

Here’s what I can’t get out of my head. You hear so many stories about guys going on their OIL trips but it doesn’t pan out like they thought. Lousy weather, drunk guides, animals don’t show up, etc, etc. I couldn’t imagine coming home from a less than stellar hunt, then having to make payments for the next 10–20 years.

I'd have to agree with this..always wanted to go on a mountain lion hunt but can't justify the money. I'd love to just go as a guest though. Besides it's the dogs hunt, the hunter is just the trigger man in this scenario.
I did a goat hunt with another Hunt Talker who had a tag and it was a great experience. As for hound hunts like mtn lions or bears I would be happy just to be there as well.

Here’s what I can’t get out of my head. You hear so many stories about guys going on their OIL trips but it doesn’t pan out like they thought. Lousy weather, drunk guides, animals don’t show up, etc, etc. I couldn’t imagine coming home from a less than stellar hunt, then having to make payments for the next 10–20 years.
Imagine being the poor guide who has to listen to the fat drunk client cry for the entire trip about the 30k he had to borrow to go on the hunt in the first place.🙂

Imagine being the poor guide who has to listen to the fat drunk client cry for the entire trip about the 30k he had to borrow to go on the hunt in the first place.🙂

I’ve seen plenty of skinny, sober, and rich guys whine too. What’s your point?

30k is a crazy amount to spend on anything, a hunt, a car, a rolly... Some guys see the animals and adventure as worth that price point while to others it's insane.
I won't ever do another hunt as expensive as I did this fall, but to guys who spend 2-3k to hunt elk out of state, when will it be ROI not match up? When will you change from hunting to a different hobby/passion because it's no longer worth it? 1k per adventure? 10k?
No way would I spend anywhere near that kind of money hunting. But it's only gonna go higher as there are people that will pay the cost no matter what. Glad i[m old. Not enough years left probably to try and think my way into it. Looked up moose hunting on the internet just here in the lower 48 and prices blew me away!

Debt is a burden. It is not something I would ever consider for entertainment purposes. Contrary to some posts above, it isn’t shrewd to die with debt. This can have cascading effects on family members and someone is always left holding the bag at the end of the day. If you can’t afford a hunt without a loan, your future self will thank you for choosing something you can afford.

Heck I think wyoming needs to offer a loan service for people to apply for the new wyoming special tag prices in 2024. 8% interest is cheaper than most people using a credit card and I would bet a fair share of them don’t pay the credit card off the first month

I'm loan/debt free all due to the booming house sale. I feel much better without debt over my head, in fact, I feel great!
However, I get the point creep feeling and living life.
I went from instant invincible atv, boot rambler of the mountains to what should have been death, then should have been a quadriplegic, to now an eternal gratefulness for my approx 80% of who I used to be (age adjusted).

if it's an epic, long dreamed, trip of a lifetime, do it, IMO for tomorrow we may hopefully continue to dream our bucket list.

Heck, I was swimming with some estimated 20-30 bull sharks! Never in a million years would I've thought of such.

a Mountain Caribou in NWT is on my list. Sooner, rather than later. My 9 lives are far behind. Living on borrowed time as it is.
One problem with this. I was the same way years ago and when I wanted to buy the place I have now, I couldn't get the loan I needed. Bank said my credit was no good. Completely out od debt for a long time aand no good? They claimed to have good credit I had to have loans out! Well got owner financing and paid it off in 15 yrs! These day I keep just enough credit around so if it's checked it shows up!

Hers is 7 years old now and we will get another 5 out of it before it’s time to take her seriously about a car. It’s gets maybe 40 miles a week. Rust will get it before miles. Lol
I bought a new car once, just nce. Sounds to me like she has a great need for a 60k vehicle! I think most proplr with a vehicle like that are only feeding a huge ego! My son has a fully loaded 2015 F-350 Ford with a diesel motor. Needed hay a while back and had to borrow my 1983 F-250 to get it! Go figure!

I think the line, and where it's located, has a lot to do with someone like your mom, for example, doing something she wanted for HER, and not for what other people think. So much of what we get worked up about in hunting is based on others' perception IMO. Not directed at OP just an opinion of mine.
One of my brother's took his son and daughter in law on a photo safari to Africa. spent three weeks and not counting transportation it cost him $54k! But he's worked all his life and was very sucsessful and paid out of pocket. I suspect a good number of people that take trips like that do do it out of pocket. And so lond as there's people willing to pay astromical amounts to hunt there will be other people willing to charge them for it!

I'm going to up the anty.
Turning the big 6-0 this year. Informed my wife my fantasy is to not work the entire year...it would be a year chock full of adventure in every season, the hunting would be in-state so just a fraction of all other expenses.
Need a years income.😁
Somehow have to swing a sweet 16 celebration and a 20 year anniversary.
Yep, just a fantasy.

This is the way if you are not wealthy. If invited on one I’d pack and help with camp and call that my dall hunt.
Yea, my buddy's wife drew a special sheep tag in the Chugach. Hard to pass that up. I did everything but tug on the trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back