Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Loads for .52 Knight Bighorn- Idaho

CountingCoo

I finally managed to draw an antelope tag here in Idaho. My cherished Thompson Center Omega is not legal here, and I just ordered a Knight Bighorn with Western ignition. I was leery about buying a .52 caliber but could not pass up the deal. A Green Mountain barrel and Timney trigger for $269.00 on clearance! I have always used solid copper Thor bullets and Blackhorn 209 powder in the Omega, and have no experience with lead projectiles for muzzy

Twist rate: 1:28 in
Barrel length: 26" in

So now I've got to come up with a load that works. Idaho allows only lead and lead alloy bullets.

Knight sells a .52 caliber bullet:
"HYDRA-CON 52 CAL 530 GRAIN MUZZLELOADER BULLETS"

Also found some 530 grn at Parker Productions:

I'll be using this rifle for antelope and elk. Does anyone have any suggested starting loads, or sources for good .52 caliber bullets?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Lead works great, finding 52cal will be the problem as you're probably finding. 50cal load data will put you where you need for the 52, little to no difference. The basic starting load of 90gr of powder is a good starting point and work up from there.

you might contact the guy at No Excuses and see if he casts 52cal, or has any. He's very reasonable. 50 bullets used to be $25 plus shipping.

Thanks for the response. I spoke with the owner of Parker Productions and he told me that the .52 caliber lead bullets they sell were actually developed specifically for the Knight Bighorn rifles. He's a really nice guy and was happy to answer my questions. I've ordered some bullets from him to test. I'll check with No Excuses as well.

I actually noticed that deal today too! Seems like a sweet rifle for sure. If there was a greater .52 selection, I’d be all over that! Seems like it would shoot great and be legal everywhere. I shoot 2 older .50 cal muzzle loaders with musket caps and use 777 with good results.

52 cal is definitely a bit of an odd duck, but certainly doable. If you've managed to find bullets to use I have some other general tips for you:

50 cal's can run up to 100gr T7, I suspect 52 cal is similar. When pushing higher powder charges (say over 70 grs) the powder charges will start melting the base of the conical and accuracy will tank. To get around this you can use a felt wad or something like the MPP sub base (they don't have a 52cal version though) to create a barrier between the powder and the bullet. You can cut your own from egg cartons or any thin cardboard to validate improvements to accurace.

Warning on powders: some claim that BH209 powder will work with musket caps/percusion caps. While this might be true, the bigger issue is that plunger style-guns (like the bighorn) you can end up with very significant blow-back through the breach plug to the the (much) higher pressure generated by BH209. Stick with T7 or others.

Consider swabbing your barrel with a spit patch between each shot (just a quick up and down). This has helped me maintain speeds/accuracy/ease of loading through many rounds and helps so your initial load in the field will match impact.

FFFg sized powders will ignite more reliably in cold/damp weather than FFg will.

No. 11 MAGNUM (important) caps burn as hot as musket caps AND usually create a water tight seal on the nipple while musket caps won't seal completely. Good for poor weather.

Check GoHunts two articles on improving muzzleloader accuracy. Both are very helpful and can help help push your legitimate effective range out past 150 yds if you can do your part.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Settled on the 530 grn Parker Traditional Bullets over 80grn of 777 (weighed).

I killed a small antelope buck at 20 yards and had a complete pass through with an angled shot and the antelope dropped in his tracks. Extremely tough hunt and a wild ending. Killed my buck as one of the most ferocious electrical storms I've ever seen closed in. Rest of the herd did not even react to my shot because of all the thunder.

I've upgraded my sights to an adjustable Williams peep sight set up. I drew a good muzzy mule deer buck tag this season!

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in responding. Settled on the 530 grn Parker Traditional Bullets over 100grn of 777.

I killed a small antelope buck at 20 yards and had a complete pass through with an angled shot and the antelope dropped in his tracks. Extremely tough hunt and a wild ending. Killed my buck as one of the most ferocious electrical storms I've ever see closed in. Rest of the herd did not even react to my shot because of all the thunder.

I've upgraded my sights to an adjustable Williams peep sight set up. I drew a good muzzy mule deer buck tag this season!
Be sure to send Bob Parker pictures. He will love it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back