Loading for the next generation

Preemptively load for your kid’s future?

• Hell no, they can figure it out themselves.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely, if I don’t who will

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Not until they are ready to hunt with the ammo

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Wife’s wrong and we just won’t tell her

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Addicting

My wife thinks I’m weird after our conversation today. I’ve built rifles for my kids. They are 9&11. I’ve got most of the load development done for them and have loaded up batches of 50-100 for each rifle. I’ve placed notes and proof targets with the ammo so they can hopefully repeat the loads if something were to happen to me.

So is it just me or is that what you do too?

My wife thinks I’m weird after our conversation today. I’ve built rifles for my kids. They are 9&11. I’ve got most of the load development done for them and have loaded up batches of 50-100 for each rifle. I’ve placed notes and proof targets with the ammo so they can hopefully repeat the loads if something were to happen to me.

So is it just me or is that what you do too?

I mean, I guess if you’re all caught up on everything else.

I always enjoyed the load development process with my dad. It is nice having some data/old targets on where to start, but I don’t know that I’d load it up and be done with it. That’s half the fun of reloading is tinkering. Otherwise one might just find the magic mix, load a case and sell all their crap as they’re set for life.

I mean, I guess if you’re all caught up on everything else.

I always enjoyed the load development process with my dad. It is nice having some data/old targets on where to start, but I don’t know that I’d load it up and be done with it. That’s half the fun of reloading is tinkering. Otherwise one might just find the magic mix, load a case and sell all their crap as they’re set for life.
Fun for me but not so much for them at this point in life. They are content to watch a 22 spinner target go round and round with cheap rim fire ammo.

I have acquired enough for them to tinker if they want. Most of my rifles are one good load and done. I get bored with them and buy something different.

I’ve tried to get my girls in to reloading, so far my 7 y/o is the only one that has stuck with it and will reload with dad(Since she was 5). Seems like the older they get they loose interest. Currently I have enough 168 vld’s loaded in 7rm and 156 Eol’s in 6.5 prc to last at least decade just hunting. Daughters #2,3,4 could go a long time with those 2 guns hunting. On top of that I have anywhere between 1000-2000 6.5 and 6 creed loaded at any given time, about 200 hunting rds loaded for my -06. Couple hundred for the 28 also but doubt any of em other than #2 would fool around with that cannon. I hope to live long enough to shoot all those rds, but Detailed load data is written on the top of every box. They could figure it out if they had to.

I plan on building rifles for my boys as well, and will also develop loads, but will only leave 50 rds or so. After that, they can either choose to learn to reload (with me) or start buying off the shelf stuff.

At least, that’s my plans for now. May change in a couple years.

I plan on building rifles for my boys as well, and will also develop loads, but will only leave 50 rds or so. After that, they can either choose to learn to reload (with me) or start buying off the shelf stuff.

At least, that’s my plans for now. May change in a couple years.
This is about the same as my plan with my son right now. He’s one. If he’s interested we’ll do lots of it together. If he’s not, then someone else can have my stuff when I kick the bucket.

Back