Canning question

LukeDuke

So I was pressure canning some of Mama’s elk today and I had three jars break…the other 13 made it. I’ve pressure canned meat in each of the last 4 yrs and this is the first time I have ever had this happen? The jars I used today were on their second yr, but they all looked good. Followed all of the instructions/etc. Bums me out. I have another batch to do tomorrow, so I need to get my crap together👍. Appreciate any thoughts or advice on the matter.

I haven't had it happen yet but have only canned maybe 30 jars of meat. My pressure canner has a rack on the bottom so the jars don't sit directly on the bottom. I have to assume the rack is somewhat of a preventative measure for jar breakage? Not entirely sure though!

What is your process? We do 14-21 quarts/yr and do very occasionally have a break. I cold pack with @ 1-1.5" of headspace, set on rack, then turn on stove to begin heating the canning/pressure water. once it's just starting to roll we crank down the lid and proceed to pressure.

If you have the water in the canner rolling and are packing cold then putting them in, that can definitely be an issue. I have read that temp related breaks are usually around the bottom of the jars, which is how mine have broken when they do.

If you have the water in the canner rolling and are packing cold then putting them in, that can definitely be an issue. I have read that temp related breaks are usually around the bottom of the jars, which is how mine have broken when they do.
This was my thought. Pre heat jars so not a big temperature swing.

Thanks everyone. I have the rack at the bottom and cold pack the meat. I will warm the jars up better tomorrow. I wonder if that is what happened today as now that I think about it, I did have to grab a few extra jars to finish off this first batch and I didn’t warm them like I did the others.

Yup, guessing it was the temp swing. If your canning water is already warm, then start with warmed jars. I usually just swap out the water each time so I can bring everything, water and jars/contents, up to boiling temp together.

I start with lukewarm water as mentioned above. Haven't had one break yet and use some of the jars several times. Hopefully your new procedure continues to work - best of luck!

Ive had it happen to me also, its temp swing as mentioned. I use an expedition 3 burner stove to do my canning. 30 quart American pressure canner on one burner with water already simmering, and two 25 quart pots just to keep the jars in water barely simmering on the other two. Haven't had any break since I started keeping the jars hot.
Unrelated to your original post, but I wipe the rim of every jar with a rag moistened with white vinegar after they've been filled. I've had 100% seal success doing it this way regardless of the jars contents. Just did 26 quarts of chicken stock last week. I enjoy canning, it's almost as rewarding as reloading ammo. 20231002_182954.jpg

What is your process? We do 14-21 quarts/yr and do very occasionally have a break. I cold pack with @ 1-1.5" of headspace, set on rack, then turn on stove to begin heating the canning/pressure water. once it's just starting to roll we crank down the lid and proceed to pressure.

Agreed, my wife cans at least 300 jars of different items a year.

Yep. Haven’t had it happen again since that first round a few weeks ago and I’ve done a couple more batches.
Definitely heat shock. I used to have it happen once in a while. Now I throw the jars into the oven, set it to 180 degrees. I also heat up any fluids that may get added. Several hundred jars later never a break.

Random tip: I started doing this during covid because lids were impossible to get. Don't throw them out. As long as you don't kink them they are reusable. I go five times, then I will toss them.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back