Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Llama missing near Driggs, Idaho

NKQualtieri

A friend's llama is missing near Driggs, Idaho and has been for a few wks now. If any of you live/hunt this area, please keep an eye out for Haggy. She's bright red, and probably wouldn't come up to a stranger unless you had some sort of bucket with grain in it. $500 reward for info that leads to her recovery--thanks!

Attachments

• Haggy.jpg
    Haggy.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,093
  • _S4T8184 (1).jpg
    _S4T8184 (1).jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,092
Heartless replies from those who would say that Haggy may have perished.;) Here's hoping she doesn't end up on a plate.:eek:

Llamas have been lost in Colorado and lived for long periods of time. One nicknamed Homer lived on Pikes Peak for well over a month, thinking he was a bighorn. He was eventually captured alive. We had one get loose and take off for a heard of elk across a basin that it must have thought were other llamas. The elk did not run from the thing, he probably would have taken up residence with those elk had we left him be. We also had one escape in the Trinity Alps, the thing lived up there for a week before it was finally captured. Alps are loaded with predators, bears, lions, coyotes...the thing survived. They are pretty hard scrabble animals, I bet she is still alive. Hope you find her.

Don't give up until you check the winter range. They will hang with elk as best they can and end up there sometimes. No ropes or tack on her hopefully, tis the kiss of death.

A friend's llama is missing near Driggs, Idaho and has been for a few wks now. If any of you live/hunt this area, please keep an eye out for Haggy. She's bright red, and probably wouldn't come up to a stranger unless you had some sort of bucket with grain in it. $500 reward for info that leads to her recovery--thanks!

I've seen the lost ad at the post office for a while, then saw the Meateater tweet on Sunday. We did the loop road that evening, figured what the heck, brought the kids along to look for the famous llama. No luck. Sorry.

Last seen actually on Rammel mtn? Or on the Jackpine-Pinochle loop road? Huge area, lots of timber, not much vantage points.

Could combine grouse hunting with the kids and llama spotting, but that place is bear infested. Wyoming F&G was behind us with an empty bear trailer. This is the place where all the problem bears from Cody, GTNP, and surrounding areas get relocated to.

When they drive cattle out of the National Forest in October I'd bet that's when someone sees her, with the cows.

I've seen the lost ad at the post office for a while, then saw the Meateater tweet on Sunday. We did the loop road that evening, figured what the heck, brought the kids along to look for the famous llama. No luck. Sorry.

Last seen actually on Rammel mtn? Or on the Jackpine-Pinochle loop road? Huge area, lots of timber, not much vantage points.

Could combine grouse hunting with the kids and llama spotting, but that place is bear infested. Wyoming F&G was behind us with an empty bear trailer. This is the place where all the problem bears from Cody, GTNP, and surrounding areas get relocated to.

When they drive cattle out of the National Forest in October I'd bet that's when someone sees her, with the cows.

I'm not sure the exact location, that's awesome that you went out to see if you could locate her. Good point on the cattle, llamas are tough, tougher than people give them credit for. Still keeping my fingers crossed for the sweet gal.

My cousin had one get lost while muzzle loader hunting in Colorado. He searched for days with no success, my other cousin his brother and I were up at the same camp two weeks later during rifle elk and woke up one morning to one extra llama bedded in our group. We were happy because we needed him, but not as happy as my cousin who thought he was gone for good.

So, you never know. This area had plenty of Mtn lion's, coyote's and bears too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back