Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Llama Life

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
If you watched much of our content from last year you know we did two elk hunts with the use of llamas. A serious game changer. I think we have six llama hunts on the books for this season.

Our friends, Beau and Kirstin Baty, have started adding a lot more videos to their YouTube page. They have started an entire playlist called "Llama Life." That covers a lot about raising llamas, selecting them for breeding results, training, and a lot of interesting information that answer many questions people have of me regarding llamas.

If you are interested in llamas as a hunting pack animal, there is no person more informed than Beau. If you want to see some funny stuff that comes with raising llamas for a living, there is plenty of that, also.

Their channel link is here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCSv__DpRxEa0XuBiU-4vVg

Their first video is getting ready for one of their spring pack trips in Capitol Reef NP in southern Utah. As the seasons progresses, expect more backcountry and hunting-related videos.

[video=youtube_share;wMpbgOPI97M]https://youtu.be/wMpbgOPI97M[/video]

I've always wanted a couple of llamas. I read up on them for packing years ago but have never had the place to keep them. A friend of a friend had a couple. He transported them in his van. They ducked in through the back door and laid down. One heck a lot easier than horses!

I haven't watched any of the youtube videos. But ... how much does one Llama cost (roughly)?

It seems that (some) llamas are much easier to transport than horses. Who needs a trailer??

[video=youtube;NGZZvHp5EHU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGZZvHp5EHU[/video]

I haven't watched any of the youtube videos. But ... how much does one Llama cost (roughly)?

From free to $10 K or so... sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you don't! Lots of people say to be wary of the free ones, my thoughts are the opposite. How can you bitch about getting screwed when it cost little/nothing? Try before you buy is always the best, and you are buying a llama not his papers, you may want to read that last part twice...

IMG_5388 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Just rented a pair of llamas for week long elk hunt this fall, will be a learning experience if nothing else.

been looking at this subject a lot called Beau I think this may add a lot to my back country trips being 56 now soon 57 going back to Idaho in 2020 and planning to go more often as I have last few yrs
We have had some serious health situations in the family so havent been out west for 4 yrs

Many years ago we had a llama we named "Dolly". My 10-year-old daughter had that thing wrapped around her little finger and it would follow her anywhere without a lead but it didn't like to cooperate quite so much with us adults. It never once spit at a person, but one of my wife's other rescue animals was a miniature pony stallion that "had issues" and was utterly obnoxious trying to dominate everyone and every other animal. When the llama had enough of pony's crap it would get this Clint Eastwood look, lay its ears back, and hack a big green goober right between its eyes. It only took a couple of treatments for the pony to become very polite around Dolly. But we never did go packing with her.

I looked into llamas again about five years ago just for packing and couldn't find any reasonably priced ones in our area. I wound up getting four pack goats instead; a local goat dairy gives away its young wethers every spring. The biggest goat, a Saanen named Clyde, is about 200 pounds and they pack 40-50 pounds apiece. The best part of the deal for us was that we can just drop the tailgate and haul all four in the pickup topper.

If you watched much of our content from last year you know we did two elk hunts with the use of llamas. A serious game changer. I think we have six llama hunts on the books for this season.

Our friends, Beau and Kirstin Baty, have started adding a lot more videos to their YouTube page. They have started an entire playlist called "Llama Life." That covers a lot about raising llamas, selecting them for breeding results, training, and a lot of interesting information that answer many questions people have of me regarding llamas.

If you are interested in llamas as a hunting pack animal, there is no person more informed than Beau. If you want to see some funny stuff that comes with raising llamas for a living, there is plenty of that, also.

Their channel link is here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCSv__DpRxEa0XuBiU-4vVg

Their first video is getting ready for one of their spring pack trips in Capitol Reef NP in southern Utah. As the seasons progresses, expect more backcountry and hunting-related videos.

[video=youtube_share;wMpbgOPI97M]
The Llamas that you use are amazing, the llamas I have run in to in the Fairbanks area are kinda nasty!😁

Randy. Curious have you ever been paid by state governments to publicize hunts in those states. If so how much. Just curious

so what's the answer? Did randy accept any money from state fish and game agencies ( my tax dollars) to film hunts? If so is this ethical?

so what's the answer? Did randy accept any money from state fish and game agencies ( my tax dollars) to film hunts? If so is this ethical?
No idea, but I think you’re gonna fit in great around here.

Back