Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Llama Life

I prefer a pack animal that can also serve as riding stock. I once contracted giardia way up the Middle Fork of the Flathead and would probably still be there if I had to lead a couple of lamas back to the rig. As it was I could barely get back in the saddle for the ride out. It's easy to wear out one horse riding it day after day in rugged country, especially if it's out of shape and/or on a limited diet. Having riding stock in camp also affords the hunter the option of ranging farther to pursue game and not being plum wore out when he finds it. I think the advantages of using riding stock clearly outweigh the unique but limited advantages of using lamas.
Pretty much 100% of horse and mule people feel there is no other proper alternative... there seems to be more in their water than just giardiasis cysts. Any animal that is carrying what would otherwise need to be on my back...IS A GREAT PACK ANIMAL!

I've been screamed at more times than I can remember about how my animals have no business being there, as they calmly eat a bush while the horse is bouncing the guys head off the lowest 12' branches of the nearest tree. I used to be concerned, but I outgrew that.

Ass, grass, or gas, nobody rides for free! Sticker on the dash of my first float plane ride. Still applies today.3F9BD852-5717-47D3-92C0-031601B61827.jpeg

Pretty much 100% of horse and mule people feel there is no other proper alternative... there seems to be more in their water than just giardiasis cysts. Any animal that is carrying what would otherwise need to be on my back...IS A GREAT PACK ANIMAL!

I've been screamed at more times than I can remember about how my animals have no business being there, as they calmly eat a bush while the horse is bouncing the guys head off the lowest 12' branches of the nearest tree. I used to be concerned, but I outgrew that.

Ass, grass, or gas, nobody rides for free! Sticker on the dash of my first float plane ride. Still applies today.View attachment 190624
I don't scream at anyone on the trail unless they take the entitlement high road. I think I made that clear enough. The problem with many self-righteous alternative stock users (and backpackers) is they don't appreciate that the horseman is vulnerable to injury sitting on top of a spooked animal. Do your best to help him out by getting your herd out of the way. Much easier and safer for you on the ground to control your animals than for him to dismount and try to control a community rodeo. Horses are typically controlled from the saddle. They usually don't respond well to someone on the ground.

A goat or lama is not going to carry you out if you get hurt. And unless it's just a weekend excursion, that Lab won't safely carry any more weight than the food it will take to keep it alive ... if that.

In a pinch on a 1977 fire in California I loaded the entire gear for two sawyers on a big Dodge City mule: huge saws, gas, oil, chaps, tools, etc. Well over 500 lbs. She sweat out a lake underneath every time I stopped to let her blow. Eight miles to the fire line in Marble Mt Wilderness, some of the roughest country I've ever seen. That mule did it and without a sore afterwards. If I'd had a corral full of lamas or goats it would have been a hopeless endeavor.

Mind you, I never was much for great big riding horses. They look impressive but have higher centre of gravity (= more problems in steep terrain) and burn more fuel.

The Llamas are awesome and all of that, but if someone doesn't use "You don't know chit from apple butter" as their signature, then there is no hope left for humanity.
I’ll take it if it’s not already spoken for lol

If you watched much of our content from last year you know we did two elk hunts with the use of llamas. A serious game changer. I think we have six llama hunts on the books for this season.

Our friends, Beau and Kirstin Baty, have started adding a lot more videos to their YouTube page. They have started an entire playlist called "Llama Life." That covers a lot about raising llamas, selecting them for breeding results, training, and a lot of interesting information that answer many questions people have of me regarding llamas.

If you are interested in llamas as a hunting pack animal, there is no person more informed than Beau. If you want to see some funny stuff that comes with raising llamas for a living, there is plenty of that, also.

Their channel link is here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCSv__DpRxEa0XuBiU-4vVg

Their first video is getting ready for one of their spring pack trips in Capitol Reef NP in southern Utah. As the seasons progresses, expect more backcountry and hunting-related videos.

[video=youtube_share;wMpbgOPI97M]
Love the video.

If you watched much of our content from last year you know we did two elk hunts with the use of llamas. A serious game changer. I think we have six llama hunts on the books for this season.

Our friends, Beau and Kirstin Baty, have started adding a lot more videos to their YouTube page. They have started an entire playlist called "Llama Life." That covers a lot about raising llamas, selecting them for breeding results, training, and a lot of interesting information that answer many questions people have of me regarding llamas.

If you are interested in llamas as a hunting pack animal, there is no person more informed than Beau. If you want to see some funny stuff that comes with raising llamas for a living, there is plenty of that, also.

Their channel link is here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCSv__DpRxEa0XuBiU-4vVg

Their first video is getting ready for one of their spring pack trips in Capitol Reef NP in southern Utah. As the seasons progresses, expect more backcountry and hunting-related videos.

[video=youtube_share;wMpbgOPI97M]
Good Content

Back