• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Awesome! I love it, especially the pic of the head atop your car. I'd guess he was an older bull based on tooth wear and antlers. The bull I killed last year had worn ivories like those and was aged at 11.5 years old.

Great write-up and story! I definitely appreciate your style of humor and travel, both frontcountry and backcountry. Nice bull too! To roll through the Starbucks drive-thru...wish I was there to see and applaud that move! 👍😃

Very interesting with the llamas. How many pounds could each carry and how far is furthest you went in a day with them? Great write-up and excellent pictures.

You damned near lost me at LaCroix. Being the open minded person I am, I finished the story. The Corolla photo provided you much redemption. Well done.

A Corolla with La Croix in the cup holders and an Elk strapped to the roof. Now that's the Colorado way! John Denver is proud.

Now to the guys with posts about how you wish your wife would let you get llamas . . . A few years ago I had an Elk down and my wife met me at the trailhead after she left work to help with the pack out. A few heavy trips through difficult terrain at night did the trick! Six months later we bought 4 llamas. Use this strategy wisely.

Great story and photos. Congrats on a great bull! You know you've got your act together when you're bring 12 packs to the backcountry. Well played.

+1.

Maria Von Trapp or Mary Poppins? Victor/Victoria, perhaps?

4 out of 5 since 2015, way to slip that tidbit in (y)(y)
Von trapp for sure, The Hills are Alive has me written all over it. Plus I like to think of myself as a blonde...

‘16 was a cow and I didn’t even think to look for ivories on a cow... do cow’s have them as well?

The picture of the horns on the roof of your carolla is great. Almost like a Clark Griswold moment but better.

So after grinding out my muley hunt I decided I no longer wanted to carry heavy things. I debated getting a lighter rifle, tried to rethink what was in my pack, briefly (very briefly) considering going to the gym more per @JLS and @Europe 's advice... but that didn't really sound enjoyable.

So I took option Randy and found some llamas, I also recruited some naive friends from Alaska to come down hunt with me... those suckers fell for the old "oh yeah it's gonna be great... camp fires... micro brews... it's gonna be great"...

The trip commenced...
View attachment 117263

The hired help wasn't amused by walking 9 miles the first day... Juniper thought the 12 pack of La Croix (we are entitled millennial's) was a little BS... I don't know what his problem was I felt great after that hike. Also pro tip a 10lb rifle feels like nothing, when that's all your carrying (starting to see what people like going guided, I enjoyed prancing down the trail like a little sprite... I almost had Julie Andrew's moment 5 miles in)
View attachment 117264

Moral improved once we made camp and busted out the llama treats.

View attachment 117265

Hunting commenced and elk were located.

View attachment 117266

View attachment 117267

#coloradoherdbull
View attachment 117268

The scenery was appreciated
View attachment 117269

Sheds were found
View attachment 117270

Naps were enjoyed

View attachment 117271

Artsey photos for instagram were taken #nature
View attachment 117272

While walking back to camp, a bull presented himself and a shot was fired. (120 etip, from my .264 win mag... 150 yards on the nose)

View attachment 117273

Found something that belonged to another hunter

View attachment 117274

Packing commenced... walking out with a cold la croix in my hand while my elk was born by others I almost felt a little guilty (lies I didn't, but I want to keep up my image)

View attachment 117275

Given that it was a 11.5 mile pack out we took it in two days and gave packers a break.

The ubiquitous tent shot for @Art Vandeley (got your back brother ;) )

View attachment 117278

The corolla was filled to capacity with the goods, the adventured was concluded, and I headed back to my desk job.
View attachment 117277

Fun facts since I had a scale:

The front leg bone after boning out the front shoulder weights 10.4 lbs, the rear 11, and the hide + lower jaw, + meat of the skull after you clean it up weights 15... so yeah if you aren't boning out/cleaning up your skull in the field your are unnecessarily carrying out close to 60lbs of stuff that will end up in a dumpster.

That was a great trip. You guys covered your details pretty well. LLamas are cool. I am glad to see someone actually put it out for people to see and understand, how much that bone weighs, that they needlessly carry out of the mountains on their back. Not as much of an issue, with pack animals, but still useless weight. Great job!

Ive shot one cow with no ivories (I looked hard haha). All the others did.

Back