• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Good write up and photos. After using llamas, what is your opinion of them for folks who are interested in using them but have not ever done it yet?

@wllm1313,

Congrats man! glad you were able to connect on a nice bull!

After my trip, I can understand the draw toward using llamas. Shoot me a DM, I'm just curious about the rough price of them.

Awesome write up! I too am a millennial, but don't understand what people like about La Croix. Count me in for gatorade and microbrews though.

How did you get the llamas to and from the trail head? Were they delivered and picked up?

My guess is that's an older bull and the ivories are worn down.

You can’t have them delivered unless the person renting them to you has an outfitter license, our rental included a trailer and my AK friends pulled them with their E-150 van.

Good write up and photos. After using llamas, what is your opinion of them for folks who are interested in using them but have not ever done it yet?
I enjoyed using them but like anything it kinda depends on the situation and hunter, you essentially have 3 additional hunting partners and you have to consider their needs and abilities. They were perfect for this hunt, but I had moment were I was like “man if I killed a bull here, it would be a long pack out to where we could get the llamas”.

I would say they seem to be able to go more places than horses, and require less work. I would use them again depending on the hunt.

Great write up, thanks for posting. Would like to do a llama trip one day, looks like a lot of fun.

Congrats. I keep trying to talk my wife into us getting some llamas or goats and she won't have none of it. Seems like there are more and more options on renting them in several states now though.

Glad it worked out for you and you got your money's worth out of them.

I'm still convinced the best way to go about it is to have a friend with pack llamas/goats/horses/mules that likes to get them exercise on short notice. The second best is to have a pack animal or two and bring along a non-hunter who likes to take care of them to mind camp and animals. Of course those aren't always an option. If you gave me the choice today between a string of llamas or a single dedicated pack horse or mule, my uneducated self would probably take the single horse or mule. I bet 20 years from now I will have some form of four legged packing assistance.

@wllm1313 How was their general noise level? As in llama talk, not walking through brush noise.

I'm still convinced the best way to go about it is to have a friend with pack llamas/goats/horses/mules that likes to get them exercise on short notice. The second best is to have a pack animal or two and bring along a non-hunter who likes to take care of them to mind camp and animals. Of course those aren't always an option. If you gave me the choice today between a string of llamas or a single dedicated pack horse or mule, my uneducated self would probably take the single horse or mule. I bet 20 years from now I will have some form of four legged packing assistance.

100% agree with the first two, the nice thing about llamas is that they can do several days without water and will eat anything like ours seemed perfect happy chomping on trees. Also less maintenance as a yard animal. Horse and mules can do longer distances with more weight...

I’m trying to get my in-laws to let me get some llamas and leave them at their ranch, we shall see.

Sound was pretty minimal they “hummed” a bit but were quiet at night. I would say as quiet if not more than any horse I’ve interacted with.

That’s awesome, wllm. Congratulations! And that’s a nice, funky-looking bull with character galore. It’s especially nice as a Corolla hood ornament. 😃

Last edited:
...the nice thing about llamas is that they can do several days without water and will eat anything like ours seemed perfect happy chomping on trees...
That would be appealing.

That was a great write up and a really neat hunt. Cool collecting on a bull someone else messed up on. Must have been real fun for him to have that arrow dangling out of his back for a month.

The more people post on hunting with llamas, the more I wonder if I could convince my wife that we should get a couple to keep in our 400 square foot backyard...

Back