Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Little Tuesday conversation

HuntingJudge

What is something that you have done or do that makes hunting a little easier?

For me I have my pack separators I bought 4 little plastic boxes that are different colors. One box holds all my tags, tape, zip ties its about 4"x 3" x1" locks and is water proof. The next three boxes are bigger 9"x 5"x 2" but hold all of my field dressing gear, I have a medical box for minor things, and a electronic box with extra head lamps and batteries. This has seemed to keep my pack really organized the last two years. Its also nice when hunting with the kids I can ask them to get the green and blue box out for field dressing and tagging the animals.

I also made a chuck box this year that holds my two burner stove, propane, pots, pans, plates, forks spoons, seasonings, paper towels, every thing i need to cook. it will be nice to have all of that in a lock box to put int he back of the truck when we are hunting a week at a time.

Just wondering if anyone has something they do to make it a little easier.

For me it was the realization that I needed/wanted a truck dedicated to hunting and chores rather than using a daily driver. I got a good, reliable "beater" truck that I don't have to worry about scraping up or dinging and that can carry everything I need. Takes a lot of worry off me. Also, organization like you listed is a great way to ensure you don't forget things last minute.

An organized storage setting seems the best method to reduce the most common "stress" factors.

For me, I always keep things in the same location. I always keep my extra ammo in my left breast pocket. I keep my tags and sharpie in my bino harness. The list goes on but I found that keeping things in specific spots helps myself function when my mind is racing to kill an animal.

For me it was the realization that I needed/wanted a truck dedicated to hunting and chores rather than using a daily driver. I got a good, reliable "beater" truck that I don't have to worry about scraping up or dinging and that can carry everything I need. Takes a lot of worry off me. Also, organization like you listed is a great way to ensure you don't forget things last minute.

Definitely want to get one someday, so much less worrying about "ehhh will I take that rock/tree to the door? I think I can make it" haha!

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?"

Albert Einstein

During deer season I'm fortunate to have matching ammo...elk trips are a whole nuther level of organizational methodology.

For me it was pairing down my gear to exactly what I need, always taking the same stuff, limiting myself to airplane baggage requirements (carry-on(backpack) 2 checked bags (cooler, gun case), and keeping all that gear together.

Sounds kinda boring but all fall I know I can just stuff my sleeping bag into my pack, and load everything I'm going to need into my car in one trip. I feel like I go out way more than I did before, as before I was packing the kitchen sink and loading unloading everything was a huge burden and sometimes I would be so exhausted on a Friday I would bail on the endeavor.

I built a drawer system for $100 in the back of my F150 w/topper so I could sleep nice and have all my gear organized.

The other thing is a list. I have one for every type of hunting. It's a little OCD, and it gets refined constantly, but I hate thinking I've forgotten something.

Yep. Had a new truck before last elk season. After multiple hunting trips through Idaho and Wyoming, my truck was no longer new. The mountains are not a place for nice shiny things...

I built a drawer system for $100 in the back of my F150 w/topper so I could sleep nice and have all my gear organized.

The other thing is a list. I have one for every type of hunting. It's a little OCD, and it gets refined constantly, but I hate thinking I've forgotten something.

I am crazy about my list. I will join the OCD train about that

I will pile on with doing your best to be well organized and add to that having good habits.

A couple of examples:
My range finder is always in one of four places. The same pocket in my turkey vest, in my scouting/hanging pack, in the corner of my gear tote, or in the right leg pocket of my scentlok.
Every time I get out of the vehicle to hunt, my keys and phone go on the windshield. After I grab my weapon, clothes, and gear the vehicle gets locked and the phone and keys go in their ZIP pockets. As soon as I get back to the vehicle the first thing I do is put the keys and phone back on the windshield. Gear is then stowed and I grab my stuff off the windshield and drive off.
Having and using good safety equipment. For us easterners it means always having and using a tree stand harness, a fall arrest device, and a good pull rope. I also do a safety check at the base of the tree every time.

JohnCushman.

I hoped it worked; are you still trying to get organized?

The only organization I do is in my wallet. DL is always in same spot. Credit card in same spot. Medical crap in same spot. I have a wife that looses her ATM every 3 months. Method to my madness.

As others has said, organization. I bought a half dozen clear plastic storage bins. They're stackable, sized to fit the truck bed and clear so i don't have to open them to see what inside.

In addition to hunting i also backpack, car camp and fish. Seems i was always stealing small items from my hunting gear (headlamp, gloves, etc.) to do other activities and could never find everything come september. So i ended up buying two or three of everything and i don't allow myself to pillage the hunting bin. It may be a bit excessive for a guy to own four headlamps but it sure is nice to just throw some bins in the truck and not worry about what may be missing.

I have a checklist that has been refined over the years and if I'm diligent in actually using it, I'll have everything packed that I will need. I have camping stuff in its own container, food in a tote, my pack loaded and ready to hunt, hunting clothes go in a dry bag, overnight bag with toiletries in the truck. I keep a shoebox sized plastic tote in my truck with all the things I wished I'd had over the years.....spare boot laces, havalon blades, plastic knife and fork, one wipe charlies (dollar shave club), a couple pens, odd sized batteries, spare knife, extra knife sharpener, extra headlamp, electrical tape, ear plugs

HA! I have a whole file folder on my PC dedicated to 'Packlists' - each one is a version of the same excel file with Checkboxes and covers Gear/Clothing/Food for various scenarios and times of year. Not just hunting - in fact - it may be more useful for family trips than anything else because I can print 'Packlist_Beachhouse_Spring' and hand it to my wife and she can work on her stuff :) .

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back