Yeti GOBOX Collection

Little bragging....

ThunderNocked

I haven’t bought myself a nice rifle. I have a nice shotgun, nice bow and some nice knives, but I got frustrated and decided I didn’t like my Rifle setup.
So I sold 2 rifles and got a Semi Custom job done by Double Broomed Mountain Rifles.
Platform is a Kimber M84 Montana.
Caliber 280 Ackley Improved
22” Barrel.
TriggerTech Trigger inbound
Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 scope.
223BBBCF-AAFC-4CD6-B36B-07E0197FB937.jpeg

I broke it in following the instructions over 5 shots- cleaning between each shot. Then went to the range and tested out the 4 different bullets I’d collected locally at 100 yards.
C7709058-38D6-4BDA-8B7C-6E118EDE794B.jpeg
Shooting Nosler 140 gr Ballistic Tip, Nosler 140 gr AcccuBond, Nosler 160 Grain Partition and Hornady 160 gr ELD-X.
Honestly for shooting in conditions that were 15*F with snow drifts causing terrible shooting positions I was really happy.
So I proceeded to shoot the 140s both at 200.
F951321D-6BB7-4FCC-9B9D-7B20C0B505FF.jpeg
Shot three Nosler Ballistic at top Right.
Then 2 Nosler AccuBonds at top left but couldnt find the second bullet (cause they were inside eachother) so shot three at center.and first two were good but rushers the 3rd (wide right).
Was super happy.

Took them out Sunday and tagged out for the year harvesting 2 Alaska Caribou at over 200 yards.

I am super excited to keep using this round, dial in the 280AI - Dial in my Kimber - and go after Moose, Dall Sheep and Caribou.

Going to hang out with my friend who is a Long Range shooter and hoping to have him help me get out to 400-500 for some targets!
B66301E0-B2BF-4609-97E9-C3D04367FB7E.jpeg
A922BD22-E558-4478-A3DB-C6343374F409.jpeg

Neat rifle! Not much you can’t do with it! What is the weight?
I haven't thrown it on the scale yet. But it is light. With the bipod and scope it is lighter in hand then my Ruger American in 6.5 - but it does have the slightly heavier barrel.

He offered as part of the package to HydroDip the stock - so once the vendor he uses can guarantee a 10 day turn around the stock is going to get dipped Kuiu Vias which will be sweet. I really like the gray but with the work he did bedding the stock/barrel, working on the magazine, etc it has gotten scuffed up. So the new dip will look good.

If I choose to have him cerakote the barrel/action he will also flute the barrel and bolt. It is supposed to be a lightweight mountain rifle for Sheep/Goat/Backpacking but it is going to be my all around rifle. I'm playing with the 140s and 160s so between those I think that this is going to be a great Alaska Gun. I'm super stocked.

It is an amazing deal and I am super excited! Heading to Washington today where my buddy has his 2000 yard range to have some fun and play around.

Would look awesome fluted. I use the weight savings rationale also...but it's miniscule...I like the look.
I think it will look awesome fluted. I'm mostly trying to decide or not. He also said he could rebarrel it with a custom barrel. I don't think I'm going to go that route. But I'm going to use it through the rest of the year and then decide.

Sweet setup!
And congratulations on the sucessful hunting so soon after the build!

With the Accubonds, i've found that either your rifle loves them, or hates them! No in between.
The Ballistic Tips shoot well in everything, and just flat out work on game.

With my 280 Rem, i've switched over from the 140gr bullets to the 150gr.
The Ballistic Tips being the good performers they always are, but the added BC proving beneficial at longer ranges.
The 150gr ABLR has proven easy to find accurate loads for, and the high BC really helps when the distance open up!
I haven't had the opportunity to try them on game yet, but i wouldn't overlook them!

So an update - took two Caribou in March and I have since shot out to 770 yards with accuracy. 3" group at 338 yards and 4 shots in a row at 770 yards at 5200+ feet at 102*F. I was ecstatic. I have decided not to flute the barrel, skip the Vias hydrodip for something simpler and will possibly Cerakote the barrel/rings after the season is over. I also got a TriggerTech Trigger that is being installed now.

I'll post an updated picture once i get the stock done - but it is shooting the factory 140 Grain Accubond so good I couldn't be happier. I'm excited to get it out for Moose, Caribou and hopefully sheep this year!!!

So an update - took two Caribou in March and I have since shot out to 770 yards with accuracy. 3" group at 338 yards and 4 shots in a row at 770 yards at 5200+ feet at 102*F. I was ecstatic. I have decided not to flute the barrel, skip the Vias hydrodip for something simpler and will possibly Cerakote the barrel/rings after the season is over. I also got a TriggerTech Trigger that is being installed now.
Nicely done. I had my Kimber 308 (Classic) out this past weekend as well. 1.75 inch group at 200 yds and 3.1 inch group at 300. These with 168 gr SMKs. I can get nearly the same performance with 165 gr TBTs which is what I took my Wyo mule deer with last fall. I find I have to wait 5-6 minutes in between strings of 2 shots to hold the accuracy though. Its not fluted and no where near as "light" as the Ascents/Montanas so curious if you are seeing barrel heating having any impacts on accuracy with your setup.

Nicely done. I had my Kimber 308 (Classic) out this past weekend as well. 1.75 inch group at 200 yds and 3.1 inch group at 300. These with 168 gr SMKs. I can get nearly the same performance with 165 gr TBTs which is what I took my Wyo mule deer with last fall. I find I have to wait 5-6 minutes in between strings of 2 shots to hold the accuracy though. Its not fluted and no where near as "light" as the Ascents/Montanas so curious if you are seeing barrel heating having any impacts on accuracy with your setup.
So these 5 shots are at 100 yards as fast as I could cycle the bolt loaded 4+1.
So first 4 shots were about 1".
When I take my time - it tightens up.

IMG-0042.jpg

As you can see in this group I shot .466 MOA at 100 yards really giving it time between shots @Alpine01 .
This Montana is a freaking awesome rifle and I am so excited about it. Got my new TriggerTech in last night and he is going to paint it when he gets back next week - he has a 5 day trip scheduled over the weekend so I should have stock painted by next weekend. After season I'll have him cerakote and do the rest of his final touches - I have to save up for that.
IMG_0728.jpg IMG_0727.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back