Caribou Gear

Litter or Stealing?

Big Sky Guy

This raft had been hanging in a tree for over a year near a lake where I elk hunt. Yesterday I decided it was becoming more like litter than someone’s cache. I debated within myself, but looking at the cardboard degrade it seemed another year the raft rubber would likely be next. I’ve left it there the half dozen times I’ve past it in the last year. What do you all think? Did I remove litter or did I steal someone’s property? If this is anyone’s on here let me know where you had it stashed and I’ll gladly return it.

Attachments

• E0BA97CD-AD62-49FD-8897-27D41A50FE2D.jpeg
    E0BA97CD-AD62-49FD-8897-27D41A50FE2D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 141
Visited a remote lake last weekend. Somebody apparantly feels a particular site on the lake is their spot since they leave wood cutting tools and tarps. They also claimed planks supplied for bridge repairs by Forest Service now serving bench seats around two different fire rings on the lake. As well, a newly placed granite memorial to a deceased regular to the lake.
More packing in than packing out.
Decayed blue tarps bother the shit out of me.

This raft had been hanging in a tree for over a year near a lake where I elk hunt. Yesterday I decided it was becoming more like litter than someone’s cache. I debated within myself, but looking at the cardboard degrade it seemed another year the raft rubber would likely be next. I’ve left it there the half dozen times I’ve past it in the last year. What do you all think? Did I remove litter or did I steal someone’s property? If this is anyone’s on here let me know where you had it stashed and I’ll gladly return it.
You did the right thing. Id have removed it after the third time.

I think you are right packing it out. If someone ever claims it, I would give it to them but packing it out is the right thing to do. As someone else suggested, you might give it to the landowner, but if I were to be doing it, I would take it home and make use of it. Setting for a year, it was likely abandoned, probably deliberately.

We found a pontoon boat one year on the brakes of the Missouri river. They had to have been using it when the river was Very high, BIG boat.
It was squared by a cottonwood tree that was dislodged and going downstream, Big tree.
It set there two years, we were making a plan to get it, on a scouting trip to salvage the boat it was gone, well most of it.
The deck and seats were scattered all over the bank, the 'toons and motor was gone. Never did hear what the deal was.

Big Sky Guy I would suggest contacting the agency owning the land where the raft is located and turning it over to them. Explain the situation to them and let them decide what they should do with it.
You are putting an awful lot of faith in a government official to do the right thing. Not sure I would be so charitable, as I could easily see this disappearing from the Lost and Found.
After a year with no apparent use, I'd say it's free to anyone who wants to pack it out. While I understand the idea that people who pack stuff into remote areas want to leave it there for future use, I think it's wrong to use public land that way that is meant for everyone's use. It creates situations where people get territorial on public land and act like they own it.
If whoever left the raft there was really concerned about what happened to it, they would have taken it back out with them.

rbinhood
Sorry if you distrust government involving this situation. My comment was to help the OP not to make a mistake and put himself in a bad position. If he doesn't trust the agency that own's the land then he should turn it over to the local law enforcement agency.

Also 61-6-302 may apply in this situation.

Thanks,
Dan

Theft
45-6-301. Theft. (1) A person commits the offense of theft when the person purposely or knowingly obtains or exerts unauthorized control over property of the owner and:
(a) has the purpose of depriving the owner of the property;
(b) purposely or knowingly uses, conceals, or abandons the property in a manner that deprives the owner of the property; or
(c) uses, conceals, or abandons the property knowing that the use, concealment, or abandonment probably will deprive the owner of the property.

"If" the raft/trash is on public land I believe you did the right thing. I hauled a huge tarp out of a designated wilderness area last weekend that was left at a well established campsite. I left the fire grate and busted toilet seat for the next trip.

You are putting an awful lot of faith in a government official to do the right thing. Not sure I would be so charitable, as I could easily see this disappearing from the Lost and Found.
After a year with no apparent use, I'd say it's free to anyone who wants to pack it out. While I understand the idea that people who pack stuff into remote areas want to leave it there for future use, I think it's wrong to use public land that way that is meant for everyone's use. It creates situations where people get territorial on public land and act like they own it.
If whoever left the raft there was really concerned about what happened to it, they would have taken it back out with them.
Government officials get calls to remove abandoned crap all the time. If the owner can’t be identified, it gets destroyed. Or publicly auctioned, depending on the entity and the item. Pretty routine. Also implying gov officials can’t be trusted because they steal stuff, while advocating for a private person to steal it instead is nonsensical. If it is abandoned property, the government official is the only one with the authority to remove it. Or certain law enforcement entities with jurisdiction. Joe Public could technically be charged with theft.

Regardless, glad the junk isn’t there any more. A year is much longer than most regulations require to establish abandonment.

If it is abandoned property, the government official is the only one with the authority to remove it. Or certain law enforcement entities with jurisdiction. Joe Public could technically be charged with theft.
Interesting, didn't know that. Would that mean that technically when your "picking up trash" your committing a crime?

And here I thought this thread was gonna be about tree stands or game cameras.

Id say you did the right thing. Now, if I go up to check my cameras next week and they're missing after two weeks of being up, I'll be pissed. If I went back next year and they were missing, that's on me.

Its been abandoned. I think you are perfectly ethical in taking it. I like the idea of leaving a number. Write it on a cheap life jacket and snorkel set and hang it in the same place. That way if they need to cross the lake for some reason, they can safely.;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back