Caribou Gear

List of rifles with 3 position safeties?

I really like the Winchester model 70 featherweight but am leaning more towards the all weather version.

However, at $1,100, that seems like a stretch.....

Are there any other sub $700 rifles that have a 3 position safety (ie you can load the rifle with the safety on).

Thanks.
I just picked up a M70 Classic Stainless in 7mm Rem Mag for $511 on GunBroker. With FFL fees and shipping, still less than $600

Cabelas has the savage axis XP on sale for $275. Scope looks garbage, but as for the rifle, is it decent?
No 3 position safety, and they are butt ugly.
However, I haven't seen one that shot poorly but I have seen many that performed exceptionally well.. Very good rifle at that price point.. What caliber are you looking at?

I own 2 of them 1 in 223 and the other is a 308.. Both are sub moa.. Actually the 223 is an Axis 2. The 308 will consistently put 10 rounds in a 1 inch group at 100yrds... The 223 is exceptionally accurate with many groups of 5 being 1/2" at 100yrds

Last edited:
No 3 position safety, and they are butt ugly.
However, I haven't seen one that shot poorly but I have seen many that performed exceptionally well.. Very good rifle at that price point.. What caliber are you looking at?

I own 2 of them 1 in 223 and the other is a 308.. Both are sub moa.. Actually the 223 is an Axis 2. The 308 will consistently put 10 rounds in a 1 inch group at 100yrds... The 223 is exceptionally accurate with many groups of 5 being 1/2" at 100yrds

Can you put the safety on before loading?

Basically I’d like a rifle where I can engage the safety, load it, keep the safety on until I’m ready to take a shot, pop it off, and fire away.

Can this savage do that? I don’t care much about looks. Effectiveness and price trumps that IMO. If also like to get a .243 but a .308 will be fine too.

The bolt lock feature is nice when you are going through thick brush. Have had 700 style rifles open the bolt on me and drop the cartridge on the ground.

Basically I’d like a rifle where I can engage the safety, load it, keep the safety on until I’m ready to take a shot, pop it off, and fire away.

Can this savage do that? I don’t care much about looks. Effectiveness and price trumps that IMO. If also like to get a .243 but a .308 will be fine too.
I hunted that way for many years. I've now come to the place where no animal is so important to kill that I don't have time to chamber a round first.
Safeties fail or get knocked out of the safe position. I fallen and ended up looking down my own muzzle one times too many.

I hunted that way for many years. I've now come to the place where no animal is so important to kill that I don't have time to chamber a round first.
Safeties fail or get knocked out of the safe position. I fallen and ended up looking down my own muzzle one times too many.

what about while walking and you Need to use it in a hurry?

what about while walking and you Need to use it in a hurry?
The word "hurry" in the context of firearms, especially someone else's firearms, makes me want to stay home. Mathematics say the odds of shooting yourself or partner in the face are far greater than being attacked by a Grizzly. Even if you could get your rifle up in time. No deer, duck, or rabbit is worth the risk to me anymore.

The only way to dead certain know you won't have an unintentional discharge is to not have a round chambered.

Yes, you can empty or load a Savage Axis without removing the safety from safe..

The word "hurry" in the context of firearms, especially someone else's firearms, makes me want to stay home. Mathematics say the odds of shooting yourself or partner in the face are far greater than being attacked by a Grizzly. Even if you could get your rifle up in time. No deer, duck, or rabbit is worth the risk to me anymore.

The only way to dead certain know you won't have an unintentional discharge is to not have a round chambered.

You’re speaking wiseness here thanks.

Yes, you can empty or load a Savage Axis without removing the safety from safe..

do you know what rings this rifle should use. I was looking at the DNZ Game Reapers. There are so many different ones. What are the long action ones?

I just have Weaver quad rings on mine and have never had any issues.. I did remove the 2 piece bases and get a one piece bases for my 308.. This was because the scope that I wanted to use wouldn't work and have any adjustments for eye relief without a one piece. It's an EGW base and I have a Vortex Viper 4-16x on it now..

I also worked over my trigger to get it where I wanted it to be.. I lowered the pull to around 3 lbs and lessened the travel on it at the same time..

Funny thing is that I have more than 2 times as much into the glass as I do the rifle..

It's tough to beat a M70 in that list. They're typically beautifully made. I bought mine off of a used rack 18 years ago and it's great. If you go that route it'll shave a lot of money off of that $1100 mark.

While my Winchester Model 70’s both pre and post are my favorites it is also the three position safety that froze in a wet heavy snow. My Remington 700’s have never had this happen.
Both have there pros and cons.

The bolt lock feature is nice when you are going through thick brush. Have had 700 style rifles open the bolt on me and drop the cartridge on the ground.

Same here. Love my Dad's old .270, but I've had this happen with my weapon slung against my pack while antelope hunting. Switched to the Howa with the bolt lock and Kifaru Gun Bearer.

Just throw this out there.I'd guess in theory that if the gun was going to fire while loading it would probably also fire when you took the safety off to shoot. Never understood the assumed advantage of the three position safety. Have heard you can unload safer with three position. But then a lot of people work the bolt all the way, closing the action and cocking the bolt when all they want to do is remove a round, no need to push the round into the chamber at all. I suspect some guy's think it's safer to remove a round from the chamber with the safety on. Alright let's say you take the safety off and the gun fire's Seem's to me it would also fire taking it off to shoot an animal!

Was looking at a sako a7 roughneck on used rack, has a "override" if u will for the bolt so it can be unloaded, loaded with the safety on.....I'm no rifle expert pardon my use of non-tech terms....then I saw they're currently being clearanced at Sportmans and Bass Pro for $799....seems like a pretty good deal for all-weather stainless fluted rifle.

Was looking at a sako a7 roughneck on used rack, has a "override" if u will for the bolt so it can be unloaded, loaded with the safety on.....I'm no rifle expert pardon my use of non-tech terms....then I saw they're currently being clearanced at Sportmans and Bass Pro for $799....seems like a pretty good deal for all-weather stainless fluted rifle.
I'm Remmy to the core, but that A7 Roughtech is an awesome rifle. At that price, grab one. mtmuley

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back