Lion camp is set [aka- this winter's time with the dogs]

mevertsen

Well, I decided this year to set a winter camp for lion hunting. I managed to find a piece of property where I know the rancher. I have the wood stove, a supply of wood, a couple cots, table, and basic supplies in the tent. All I have to do is raise the stove pipe and start a fire to get comfortable. I will just take my food, water and sleeping bag with me in the truck.

It is about 40 miles from my house. My plan is to hunt one day, stay the night, and return home the second day. This will buy me a lot of time in the mornings and evenings. Working 12 hour shifts, I get half the year off now plus vacation time, so hopefully it will be a good winter.

Will update the thread with lion hunting pictures.

Attachments

• 20191109_135529.jpg
    20191109_135529.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Man that’s a heck of a deal. Wish I could leave my tent set up in my chukar hunting spots.

Take lots of pics! Looks like a lot of fun and adventure there! Do you generally have good snow conditions or are you running dry ground too? It sure would be nice to run in country where wolves aren't a major concern.

Very jealous. Looks like a nice setup. I am always trying to find a job/situation that gives me more time in the field. I get plenty of time but could always use more.

Looks like a great home-away-from-home.

Best of luck to you!

Guy

That is the way to go! I live in a wall tent during the summer months and keep my two hounds with me while on field construction jobs.
What type of hounds do you run? I worked three years between Ely and Caliente and that is some great bobcat and lion country. Good luck and looking forward to the pictures

Mutts really. I have a walker,plott/walker cross, and 3 that are walker/leopard/English crosses. I also an retiring two - a bluetick and a redbone/English dog.

Twenty-some years ago, Washington voters decided to ban dogs for cougar hunting.

As you can imagine, there's quite a few mountain lions in Washington now. We can hunt them, but not with dogs. Success is limited. Sigh... I keep trying, but so far without success. Many are taken incidentally by deer and elk hunters. At least the WDFW has kept cougar tags reasonable.

Guy

Mutts really. I have a walker,plott/walker cross, and 3 that are walker/leopard/English crosses. I also an retiring two - a bluetick and a redbone/English dog.

The best kind, I bet the red tick and leopard hound is a good cross. Good luck this season and looking forward to following along. Preston

Twenty-some years ago, Washington voters decided to ban dogs for cougar hunting.

As you can imagine, there's quite a few mountain lions in Washington now. We can hunt them, but not with dogs. Success is limited. Sigh... I keep trying, but so far without success. Many are taken incidentally by deer and elk hunters. At least the WDFW has kept cougar tags reasonable.

Guy
Have you tried a varmint call? You have to be within a fairly close proximity to the lion, from what I have been told, and read, but they will come. Just protect your back! I knew s NM game warden, who had called in several over the years.

Reactions: Guy
Have you tried a varmint call? You have to be within a fairly close proximity to the lion, from what I have been told, and read, but they will come. Just protect your back! I knew s NM game warden, who had called in several over the years.

Yes. I keep working it. Kind of a late fall & winter obsession of mine. Wife thinks I'm nuts. :)

Someday...

Last year a lady I taught to shoot, nailed a cougar threatening her horses. Two shots fired from her 9mm Glock. Two hits. One cougar down. She called me to thank me for the shooting lessons. I congratulated her heartily...

Then I pouted a bit! LOL!

Guy

Yes. I keep working it. Kind of a late fall & winter obsession of mine. Wife thinks I'm nuts. :)

Someday...

Last year a lady I taught to shoot, nailed a cougar threatening her horses. Two shots fired from her 9mm Glock. Two hits. One cougar down. She called me to thank me for the shooting lessons. I congratulated her heartily...

Then I pouted a bit! LOL!

Guy
Damn! That is cool shit.

Reactions: Guy
Ya, she did really well. Contacted me about shooting lessons in October. We spent two or three sessions at the gun club, Oct/Nov. She told me that she was worried about bears and cougars on her property.

January she shot the cougar. Good for her!

Sigh. I think I have a "No Mtn Lions Allowed" sign on me someplace. ;)

Guy

Well, my daughter and I went out today. We worked on camp for a bit, the road the dogs a couple miles.

We then went on a four wheeler ride, checking out country. I found a lion track in the dirt, and we put the two better dogs on it.

Several hours of cold trailing, but no lion in the tree this time.

Still was a fun day. e92c7893-d719-4c7f-b6ec-29c5f42492de.jpg

Attachments

• 20191116_110608.jpg
    20191116_110608.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20191116_111853.jpg
    20191116_111853.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 20191116_111848.jpg
    20191116_111848.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20191116_122919.jpg