Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lightweight Rifle ?

buckykm1

My age is sneaking up on me 64, I am thinking about going to a lighter weight rifle, I currently use a Remington Model 700 in 300 Win Mag. and love it, but at 9 pounds with the scope something lighter would be nice.
if possible ? I would like to stay with a 300 Win. Mag. but would consider a 30-06.
This Rifle will be for Elk hunting only.

Any suggestions on what might get me 2 or 3 pounds lighter ?

Thanks
Kevin

I don't like control round fed actions, but Kimber makes a light weight rifle. I'm The

I'm just a couple of years behind you Bro, but for the life of me I can't understand why you would want to put yourself through the recoil punishment of going 'light' with a 300 WM. I'll not jump on my soap box and espouse the virtues of a 7-08, but maybe a lite 280 would fill the bill for you nicely. Just my pondering mind floating in the breeze as it seems to do sometimes............

It is hard to get a magnum in a light-weight rifle, and you will pay for that with recoil. The other option is a brake, which will take out your hearing, if you do not have muffs. You do not need a magnum to kill an elk. The bullet is what matters. Go with a .308. 7-08, .260, or 6.5 Creedmore in a lighter rifle and go hunt. Just stoke them with Partitions, Accubonds, Interlocks and do what you have to do.

Magnums are over-rated and I shoot them! I am not into extended ranges (past 400 yards) and if I had it to do all over again, I would own .260s and 7-08s exclusively for all of my hunting.

I'm just a couple of years behind you Bro, but for the life of me I can't understand why you would want to put yourself through the recoil punishment of going 'light' with a 300 WM.

^^^^

My thoughts as well. The 300 win mag. is an elk killing machine, but so are 308 win. and 7-08 without the abusive recoil. A lighter rifle will make that recoil even more noticable. I would second the suggestion for a Tikka T3 or Howa alpine in either of the above rounds. This is my first year carrying a Tikka T3 in 308 win. and I love it.

I am not into real long range either, I practise out to 500 yards. but prefer my shots to be 300 yds or less.
I am not familiar with a lot of the lighter calibers. like the 7-08, 260 or 6.5. I,m not a 308 fan, but I would definitely consider going down to a 30-06.

Kevin

I am not into real long range either, I practise out to 500 yards. but prefer my shots to be 300 yds or less.

From 300 yards in (in reality more) the .300 Winnie isn't going to make an elk any more deader than a good old .308.

Short an elk last week with the Kimber Mountain Ascent in .300 Win Mag. I think it weighs less than my Howa Alpine Mountain. The Kimber is a real nice gun, it's also very loud.

I don't think of myself as recoil sensitive but I'd rather shoot my 300 win sendero then my wife's 7lb fully loaded 30-06. But that 06 and my 7.5lb 270 are a lot easier to pack around.

A light 30-06 is no walk in the park to shoot, that is for sure. In the short barrel, you will get essentially the same ballistics out of the '06, as the .308. Most '06s that I have shot, did not kick much, if any, less than my 7 mags.

I would not personally consider a light rifle in anything but a short action. It just fits.

I have a Browning Xbolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 300WinMag scoped with a Vortex Viper PST. It comes in at 7 lbs. Recoil is not bad at all with the screw on muzzle break (you can unscrew for a simple flush front end). I haven't ever felt recoil when I am shooting an animal anyway. I can't say enough good things about this setup.

A lot of hate on the 300 WM on this topic.

I like the 300 Win Mag, it is a versatile caliber with good ballistics.

If I was going to get a light weight rifle in 300 win mag or long action, I would look into Tikka or Kimber.

If I was going to get a light weight rifle in a short action, I would look strongly at the Howa alpine or Kimber models.

As far as noise and muzzle brakes go, I would recommend that all people where hearing protection whether their gun is braked or not.

If you do not wear hearing protection you will pay for it later in life.

I have a Browning Xbolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 300WinMag scoped with a Vortex Viper PST. It comes in at 7 lbs. Recoil is not bad at all with the screw on muzzle break (you can unscrew for a simple flush front end). I haven't ever felt recoil when I am shooting an animal anyway. I can't say enough good things about this setup.
Wouldn't that rifle and scope combo be much closer to 8.5# than 7#? Or were you just listing the weight of the rifle?

Tikka is the value solution.....beaucoup spendy choices. I'm sorta eyeballing the new Kimber Hunter for a 243 hand me down'r.

@1_pointer: When I put it on a scale here at the house it was 7lbs, 5oz.

@1_pointer: When I put it on a scale here at the house it was 7lbs, 5oz.
If that's with the scope then either the scale is off or Brownings specs are off. They have it listed as 6#13oz for the rifle alone. Add in 20oz+ for the scope, bases, and rings...

Either way, I'm glad you like the rifle. I kinda did the color combo they did on the HC Speed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back