Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

lightweight camping gear

smalls

What are you guys using for lightweight hunting/camping gear. I am looking for insight into tents and sleeping bags in particular. I hope to own everything I'll need for this fall by the middle of July so I can go on a few testing/scouting trips.

smalls

Kifaru has some light weight stuff---I too need to figure out a tent this year as we aren't packing the small 3man 15lb tent this year---would like something to put a stove in but lightweight enuff to pack, but it would be nice to handle 3 men, but I don't think I'll find what I need---maybe a tarp I need to sit down and get it figured out quick though---chris

I got a great deal on a back pack on ebay. Forgot the model but it is awesome and only spent 65 bucks.

Smalls,

I'm guessing you're wanting gear for backpack hunting.

2 methods apply:

1) Pack in and set up a camp. Hunt from the camp every day. Not a bad way to go. If you get in even a couple miles, it seperates you from most of the yahoos. You can use an aluminum external welded aluminum frame. You can get a decent one for $100 from camp trails with a lifetime warranty. Get a $200 3 season tent that weighs about 5 pounds. $200 down bag 3 pounds. $20-$80 sleep pad, 1 pound. Hunt on the daily hunts with a fanny pack or day pack, leave big pack in camp. Kill an animal and bone out the meat and take a deer out in one load, a small elk in 2 loads, a big one in 3. Return and get camp out.

2) Bivouac hunting. Sleep where you stop every night. It offers much more flexibility. This kind of hunting begs for a better and more expensive pack. All other equipment as above applies for the most part.

Attention to clothing material is required IMO. Stick with wool or sythetics and learn the layering concept.

Both methods 1 and 2 work great. I hunted method #1 since age 12. Just in the last 5 years or so, I've started bivy hunting.

I'm not a "down" sleeping bag fan. If they get damp/wet they're useless. I'd go with a high quality fiberfill bag.

Smalls,

If you want to go very cheap and light on the shelter, make one out of plastic tarps. I've used a 10 x 16 one to make a lean to. Use a hiking pole or stick to support the middle. Stakes, rocks, or logs to hold down 3 sides. String to tie off the stake on the open side. Use a 8X8 tarp for a floor. Weighs about 2lbs. Easily will shelter 2 people and gear. Set your stove up in front and cook from your sleeping bag. Will keep you dry in all but the most brutal weather, if you pick a good site (drainage, wind, trees are some of the considerations). Haven't tried it in alpine areas and would prefer a good tent for those areas. Bugs in the summer months could be a problem as well but are usually not a problem come hunting season.

Tbone, I have been looking at a few tents. The one I am considering at the moment is a North Face Dynad 22. It's a single wall three season tent that weighs in under 3 lbs. Are there any cons to going with such a light tent? Am I better off getting a little bit heavier, sturdier tent?

Any suggestions on a specific bag? Most I've looked at seem big and bulky.

I am pretty well set on clothing, I have a good set of wools and lots of quality layers (I absolutely LOVE the underarmour cold gear I got last year).

I plan on starting to hunt the #1 way you to described, but once I have all the gear, I will likely start bivy hunting as well. Since Montana doesn't have a gravel road every mile, this will be a bit of a new experience for me.

I'm not a "down" sleeping bag fan. If they get damp/wet they're useless. I'd go with a high quality fiberfill bag.
I LOVE them for the weight to warmth ratio, plus they pack so darn small. Besides, any decent bag has a good water repellent/waterproof breathable shell that will keep it dry enough unless you dunk it in a lake. Couple that with down being more comfortable for a wider range of temps and the choice is easy...for me. For the Intermountain West, I think a down bag with a good shell is near perfect.

Single walls will give you a bit more condensation. If well vented it can help lower.

Most decent quality 3 season tents, IF the seams are sealed and good tent placement will do just fine for a day or three of rain and snow. A footprint or a Tyvek ground sheet is worth getting IMO.

Thanks for the Down bag imput Pointer. I need to purchase a new bag soon and have heard some of the pros and cons of down vs synthetic. The water repellent shell comment seals the deal for me then. My dad bought a down bag for a hunt a couple years ago and he really liked it. Problem was that it was so comfortable and warm, it was hard to get him out of it in the morning to go hunt.

Mines a Big Agnes. I really like that the pad is attached to the bag as I'm a restless sleeper.

Problem was that it was so comfortable and warm, it was hard to get him out of it in the morning to go hunt.
Down does feel better to me as well. But, it's usually my tired ass or sore legs that try to 'keep' me in the bag.

1 pointer,

What model of BA bag do you have? A very unique idea they have to have bottomless bags. Did you couple it with a BA pad as well?

I have the Lost Ranger which is listed as 15deg bag, but I sleepep warm so have been lower than that. Yes, I use the Air Core pad (unisulated) and have only wanted a bit more insulation a couple of times. Beware they are comfy pads....

I picked up the dyad for $112 bucks on ebay today. That's about half of MSRP for this 3 lb. tent. Hopefully it works out for me.

I may have to wait til next payday to pick up a quality bag and a small stove.

It's pretty expensive, but Zpacks makes awesome lightweight gear. I have a sleeping bag, tarp, and plenty of stuff sacks from them that have lasted forever. Can't go wrong with them.

Zpacks.com

Couple fairly robust threads below that focus on tents and sleeping bags. There are also a couple on sleeping pads, as well, if you're also in the market for one of those, and even more on packs.

Personally, I run a Big Agnes tent (Fly Creek UL2, ~2 lbs) and bag (Lost Ranger 15...3 lbs?). They're not top of the line, but I've found their gear to be a good fit for bigger guys, and they do the trick for the seasons/weather I encounter in the backcountry (three-season weather); they're also fairly economical.

That’s a bit misleading, you have to define “damp” I’ve gotten bags wet from condensation and had them work fine. I have also worn a down jacket under rain gear and had it totally fail.... though had a similar experience with synthetic insulation layers.

Synthetic bags are way cheaper but bulky/heavy.

YMMV but I haven’t any issues keeping a down bag dry.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back