Caribou Gear Tarp

Sell Me on What My Next Tent Should Be

PorterHouse

Looking for a new backpacking tent to use for hunting. Not overly interested in a tipi with stove set up. More so looking at good 3 season options that would also work fine in a pinch in some serious cold (I have a good 0 Deg bag and pad). While Hilleberg is honestly probably the answer, I don’t have a grand to spend on a tent at the moment.

There are obviously plenty of options out there (which is a good thing as a consumer). I’m just looking for some input and first hand user experience.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on your size requirements, but I think I’ll be investing in a Stone Glacier 2P tent this year. Rated as 4 seasons, way lighter than a hilleberg, and a good quality company. I’ve looked at one pitched and seems to be plenty room for one person and gear, and could squeeze two in and still have room for gear under the vestibule.

Does anyone have any experience with big Agnes tents?

I was looking at Hillberg tents as well but big Agnes has some new ones that are making me take a second look.

I wonder if because big Agnes is larger larger company, if they put more R&D into materials and designs then Hillberg based on its size and push for innovation?

Does anyone have any experience with big Agnes tents?

I was looking at Hillberg tents as well but big Agnes has some new ones that are making me take a second look.

I wonder if because big Agnes is larger larger company, if they put more R&D into materials and designs then Hillberg based on its size and push for innovation?
I run a Seedhouse SL3 3-man, 3season. It seems like it would be tight for three grown men. I've used it for two and gear.

One solo trip this last September I was in a downpour for two days. My gear stayed dry inside and in the vestibule.

EASY to pitch. I got to my spot at very last light and had it up and staked out in a couple of minutes. Got my gear inside and the stove boiling water for dinner in no time at all.

I was shopping for a Copper Spur and the Seedhouse was all the store had in stock. I'm glad I got it. I'm still planning on getting a Copper Spur as well at some point.

P9184317.JPG

I’m a really big fan of my tarp tent. So light and packs really small. The quality is outstanding. I got the 2 person stratospire and put a 1 person liner in it for more floorless space. Only downside is not free standing. They have other designs that are though. Mine still held up to 40-50mph winds out in the wide open.
C3AA8C15-132B-4DAA-8A29-3E6C515B7071.png
21A739EF-7A51-4467-83CA-476BF8A9D1BB.jpeg

Easy choice for me, two person hornet from Nemo. Lightweight, two vestibules, well made, not much more you can ask for.

I have a bunch of tents. My solo 3 season goto is...Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. So simple, light, and roomy. Large dual vestibules and dirt simple to set up in the dark. Plenty of room for me and all my gear. Waterproof. I often run just the inner under a tarp.

If you expect high winds just use the guy outs, but not like they recommend. Tie them at 45 degree angles away from the center (toward the tent corners) instead of tying them to a common center stake. This photo shows this, though it's a bit hard to see the line.
Big_Agnes_Copper_Spur_UL2_-_5_1024x1024~2.jpg

I've camped in 25 mph winds without the guy out lines.
Screenshot_20201001-084350_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20201001-084614_Photos.jpg

I don’t know if there’s a better all around tent for the money than the BA Copper Spur.
This is the tent I’m looking at the CopperSpur2. Now from a weight prospective, how do you feel about it? I’m trying to just gauge how more experienced people view what a good weight is?

I have a bunch of tents. My solo 3 season goto is...Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. So simple, light, and roomy. Large dual vestibules and dirt simple to set up in the dark. Plenty of room for me and all my gear. Waterproof. I often run just the inner under a tarp.

If you expect high winds just use the guy outs, but not like they recommend. Tie them at 45 degree angles away from the center (toward the tent corners) instead of tying them to a common center stake. This photo shows this, though it's a bit hard to see the line.
View attachment 172155

I've camped in 25 mph winds without the guy out lines.
View attachment 172156
View attachment 172157
Any issues with the copper spur in the southeast? I’m just south of ya on the GA coast. So curious your experiences? Would use this tent on the coast, the GA mountains and then hopefully out west in the very near future?

I don’t know my ass from a hole in the ground but I’ve got a copper spur hv/ul2 for warm months and a hilleberg nammatj 2 for the winter.
I never plan on upgrading either one.
Yolo/boco
Lots of people have motorcycles, boats, fancy treadmills, I have a couple cool tents 🤷‍♂️

Now, let’s all appreciate this pic that I’ve already posted on here like 5 times one more time.

+1 ba/cs2

598D86DF-CF69-4F22-8D9D-584D250654F9.jpeg

Any issues with the copper spur in the southeast? I’m just south of ya on the GA coast. So curious your experiences? Would use this tent on the coast, the GA mountains and then hopefully out west in the very near future?
Like you say, we're neighbors. There isn't anywhere from the Lowcountry to the mountains of NC (or Georgia) I wouldn't use this tent in 3 seasons, even in light snow. Heavy snow or 60 mph winds? I'll use the Hilleberg.

Also, don’t forget to wait for a sale if you buy one of these.
I’m pretty sure you can find big Agnes’s 20% off somewhat regularly.

It’s my understanding that hillebergs don’t go on sale but some websites can give you store credit.

If you can’t afford a new Hillberg, go find a used Hillberg. They’re worth the extra cost.

Attachments

• 1DAAE5B6-3BE8-4C6B-B43C-E10D6B806E8C.jpeg
    1DAAE5B6-3BE8-4C6B-B43C-E10D6B806E8C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
Thanks all for the replies...keep em coming.

Copper Spur is getting a lot of love. For those that do have that specific tent, what have your experiences been using it for winter camping?

And good advice on looking for sales. That is definitely what I plan to do. Just trying to decide which tent I want to purchase so that way when a sale does pop up, I’m ready to make moves.

Thanks!

Back