Light weight game bags for bone out Elk

CMF

I'm looking for a lightweight set of game bags for boned out Elk. I've seen good reviews on the Tag game bags and I'm looking at the BOMB set at 10 oz., but also found a set on ebay at 8.5 oz and cheaper. Anyone have any experience with the bags on ebay listed as "UL HIKER - Ultra Lite Set 5 Reusable Big Game Bags- Boned Out New" or have any other suggestions?

Caribou gear. My set has done 2 elk, 1 deer, 1 antelope, and a bunch of quail and rabbits in the last 2 years. Don't know if they're as light as you'd like, but they're tough.

I have a set of the Caribou Elk sized game bags and a set of the Black Ovis Elk sized game bags. They are both the same material and have reflective markings on them (which is a huge plus when finding bags in the dark). The Caribou brand bags are bigger and will fit a bone in elk quarter. The Black Ovis brand is smaller and designed more for bone out quarters. They will fit a bone in quarter but the the bone will stick out a bit.

If you are really looking at lightweight the smaller bags are going to save maybe a couple ounces. I'm very happy with both brands of bags.

I’ve used both BOMB and caribou, both are great. I’ve taken out 5 or so animals in my set of caribou and they are still in excellent condition.

The “caribou” size set will fit elk quarters boned-out, but the mouths of the bags aren’t wide enough to accommodate hindquarters bone-in.

I’ve used both BOMB and caribou, both are great. I’ve taken out 5 or so animals in my set of caribou and they are still in excellent condition.

The “caribou” size set will fit elk quarters boned-out, but the mouths of the bags aren’t wide enough to accommodate hindquarters bone-in.
There are 2 sizes of caribou game bags, one size for bone in, one size for de-boned meat. I went with the bone in size to ensure I had enough space and haven’t been let down.

Get the Wapiti size for elk as elk are larger than Caribou and you won’t have any fit issues.

Naming their company “caribou game bags” kind of confuses this conversation.

Caribou, read sizes in inches not large med etc. I use 3-24x48" i think. 2 bags get deboned HQ each, shoulder each. 3rd bag gets straps and trimmings. Cheap game bags work till they dont and then its to late...

VIAM makes some great ones and I’m betting they are half the weight of my caribou set I use for bone in quarters.

You know you can have your wife make you some or if you use a sewing machine you can make your own. You want it made from synthetic material such as polyester. You do not want cotton as cotton absorbs moisture both from contact and the humidity and draws water to the meat which in turn facilitates rots. Wool material traps heat you don't want. Poly pillow cases work too. Just add a nylon or poly string in the opening seam. The advantage of this method is the bags are reusable for several years. Just wash them with bleach at end of each use like you do linens.

Would 5 - 14" x 28" bags be enough to for a deboned bull elk?

Caribou Bags are awesome.
I've used the big cotton re-usable HS bags. They're a little bulky, but they're very tough do great. I've had the same ones for many years, after use you just turn them inside out and run the in the washing machine and dryer. Caribou Bags seem a little thin, but I've never used them. I think they are re-usable, is that correct?

I think they help with the desication and the hard crust you get from the low humidity and wind.
I used the Cabelas bags last year and they worked great. They are one and done but for the cost I’m fine with that.

Best advice for bags whether you go for disposable or reusable types is you do not want them so flimsy that they tear. Biggest thing is protecting the meat from insects and debris. I go for the synthetic washable ones. You don't want cotton, because cotton attracts and absorbs moisture. Size wise you should be fine, but when in doubt, buy another package of them. Never hurts to have too many bags. I got caught short one year so I now keep enough on hand for twice what I ever need.

Last edited:
Back