Life without a cell phone or debit card

The continent of Africa lol

There are tons of places that don't have infrastructure. Most of the Rockies/new England/ South/ rural areas in general still don't have access to decent internet. I don't there are areas that had landlines where they are no longer available but there are plenty of areas that never had them that have been built out using only cell.

Land lines/ corded internet are pretty stupid if you think about it. They require so much infrastructure/impact.

Cellular is better... satellite would be best.
I meant places that used to have it. I'm quite familiar with places that basically skipped the wired communication age. I was talking about phone lines specifically, not internet. I live in an area with no power lines, but we do have a landline phone. Satellite is the only internet available here.

I meant places that used to have it. I'm quite familiar with places that basically skipped the wired communication age. I was talking about phone lines specifically, not internet. I live in an area with no power lines, but we do have a landline phone. Satellite is the only internet available here.
When various European powers pulled out of Africa they removed infrastructure, so there are places that had landlines that aren't operable. Not sure if that has ever happened in the US.

I'm not sure I've used a debit card in 2022 yet.
I haven't carried a wallet for at least twenty years. Got tired of the damn thing poking me in the ass. My cards go in a small protective carrier in my right front pants pocket with keys and phone in left front pants pocket. Cash, if I ever carry any, is stuck in with the phone. Our new plastic paper money is terribly slippery and the protective cover for my Galaxy is always grabbing it when I pull the phone out. Bet I've lost at least a hundred bucks that way the last five years. Because I'm worth so much money, the bank generously does not charge any transaction fees. Why carry cash? I still have a checkbook but only utilities and church will take checks up here. And I mean that TOTALLY. So annoying to go back to Montana and have to wait in line at the grocery store while some old gal SLOWLY writes out her check then SLOWLY flips to the back of checkbook and SLOWLY does her bookkeeping. "Jeezus, does this store sell camping licenses!" Then the next gal steps up and pulls out her checkbook. ARGH!!

I should add that essentially all vendors here, large or small, now have chip card tap detection machines. Been that way for at least ten years. This past year ONLY Walmart in Montana had tap machines ... and they didn't work for my card. Oh, and I hate Town Pump where the card gas pumps ask for zipcode. Like the whole world uses US zipcodes. So I have to walk inside to use my card with no one, including staff, wearing masks or keeping social distanced. I would drive an extra twenty miles just to get to a Holiday station with sensible gas pumps.

Last edited:
It would be inconvenient, but the world as a whole would be far better off if we somehow lost the last 100 years worth of "advancements".
I see.
So you're a fan of polio?
You preferred it when there was a little human arm in your hotdogs?
Loved getting eaten alive by mosquitos
... side note, a quote from the pre-deet days.
1657563872356.png
You're not a fan of internal combustion engines?
I too hate Google Maps and those damn mostly right directions...

I see.
View attachment 229592

Quote from someone at Fort Ransom ND in 1870ish:

IMG_20200828_171110161.jpg

I see.
View attachment 229592
Not gonna get into an argument about this, but I'm curious about your reference to a human arm in hotdogs? What's that about?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back