Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Life of a boot/Resoling boots

AvidIndoorsman

Given that there are ton of boot threads on here with the ubiquitous "buy once cry once comment", I thought this might be relevant to some new folks who are trying to decide if it's worth dropping $400 on a pair of boots.

Schnee uninsulated beartooth - March 2015
1582644213399.png

Jan 2020 - These have been my go to boots, 10 elk hunts, bunch of deer/pronghorn, 4 bears, lots of super wet and rainy hikes in AK, Iceland, and Scotland... etc etc.

Miles... no idea really, a shit load definitely north of 1000

1582644417852.png
1582644473842.png
1582644493113.png

After Resole - Feb 2020 ($90)
Boots are still waterproof, I figure with the resole I can get a couple more seasons out of them.

1582644920262.png
1582644962858.png

1582645037759.png

Last edited:
Well used pair of boots! The sole on them (before replacement) look very similar to K-Talon soles on Kenetrek boots. I'm curious how you're going to like the new sole. Looks like it's lacking the toe grooves that they had before. I found out this weekend how nice the toe tread is when climbing icy/snowy hillsides on deer trails! Looks like you've got another 5 years to use them now!

Nice! What do you use for waterproofing? Snowseal? Do you rock them in the snow with heavy socks or do you have another insulated pair?

Given that there are ton of boot threads on here with the ubiquitous "buy once cry one comment", I thought this might be relevant to some new folks who are trying to decide if it's worth dropping $400 on a pair of boots.

View attachment 129098

Jan 2020 - These have been my go to boots, 10 elk hunts, bunch of deer/pronghorn, 4 bears, lots of super wet and rainy hikes in AK, Iceland, and Scotland... etc etc.

View attachment 129099
View attachment 129100
View attachment 129101

Boots are still waterproof, I figure with the resole I can get a couple more seasons out of them.

View attachment 129103
View attachment 129104

View attachment 129105
So what's your judgment? Is it worth it to pay $400 for a pair of boots?

Well used pair of boots! The sole on them (before replacement) look very similar to K-Talon soles on Kenetrek boots. I'm curious how you're going to like the new sole. Looks like it's lacking the toe grooves that they had before. I found out this weekend how nice the toe tread is when climbing icy/snowy hillsides on deer trails! Looks like you've got another 5 years to use them now!

Truth be told I haven't taken them through their paces yet... I'm sure the new sole is 100% better than it was before they were resoled. I did really like the original sole though.

Nice! What do you use for waterproofing? Snowseal? Do you rock them in the snow with heavy socks or do you have another insulated pair?

I used obenauf's for the first couple of years, and if we are being honest I think that is what caused the rand to peal. I have since switched to the Kenetrek sealer. After years in ski boots I feel like I'm pretty much immune to cold feet, I use the same pair of socks from August (80) - February (-15). 🤷‍♂️
Compared to standing around on the top of a course for 2 hours with my size 10 feet crammed into size 8.5 lange's glassing in these boots in the winter is super comfortable.

So what's your judgment? Is it worth it to pay $400 for a pair of boots?

Well given that in 2 years I managed to poke my toe all the way through my previous Vazque Breeze boots... absolutely.

Given that there are ton of boot threads on here with the ubiquitous "buy once cry one comment", I thought this might be relevant to some new folks who are trying to decide if it's worth dropping $400 on a pair of boots.

View attachment 129098

View attachment 129099
View attachment 129100
View attachment 129101

View attachment 129103
View attachment 129104

View attachment 129105
The hunt talk bicep flex for the camera! 😉

The hunt talk bicep flex for the camera! 😉

1582648326470.png

My father keeps buying my Danner's which I blow through in about 1.5 seasons. The soles aren't my problem on those, its everything else.

After some google... Old soles were Vibram 1206 Tsavo, new soles are 012C Maton

Per some add 🤷‍♂️
1582668015626.png

Had a set of Vasque's for 8 years and hundreds of miles on them (All backpack miles in the Cascade's). Had them resoled and they finally gave up the ghost at 14yrs and thousands of miles. The heel finally fell off. Literally fell off on a day hike. Best boots I ever owned. I have since gone through at least half a dozen sets of boots. Currently rocking some Salomon GTX boots on 2nd season. I can't see getting more than a few more years out of them. I love the ankle support, the weight and the comfort of the boot but they don't make em like they use to. I really hope your old boots stick around even if it's just to goof around camp. You just can't beat an old worn in set of leather boots.

I'm not sure the Obenauf's is the cause of your rand problem. I've used Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP on these Meindl Perfekt boots for 12 years and you can see the rand is in good shape.

Attachments

• IMG_0715_zpsc3a82551.jpg
    IMG_0715_zpsc3a82551.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 10
I'm not sure the Obenauf's is the cause of your rand problem. I've used Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP on these Meindl Perfekt boots for 12 years and you can see the rand is in good shape.
Wasn’t meant as an indictment of Obenauf’s, tons of different glues and boot conditioners out there and they are all going to interact differently.

Almost positive this was a problem with Obenauf’s I wouldn’t recommend them for use with schnees.

Wasn’t meant as an indictment of Obenauf’s, tons of different glues and boot conditioners out there and they are all going to interact differently.

Almost positive this was a problem with Obenauf’s I wouldn’t recommend them for use with schnees.

True, different brands may react differently.

The guy that rebuild my Meindl Denali's said Obenauf's was why my rand was peeling. I've been using it on my Zamberlan without issue for a couple years so it's likely different glues.

I had an issue with sole separation on my Meindl's like 2 weeks after the rebuild so make sure your rebuilder isn't using cheap products. They fixed the issue but it was only temporary so I had to gorilla glue them in the field as emergency

The guy that rebuild my Meindl Denali's said Obenauf's was why my rand was peeling. I've been using it on my Zamberlan without issue for a couple years so it's likely different glues.

I had an issue with sole separation on my Meindl's like 2 weeks after the rebuild so make sure your rebuilder isn't using cheap products. They fixed the issue but it was only temporary so I had to gorilla glue them in the field as emergency

The problem with the Denali model is it was made in Asia. You can thank Cabelas for that. If you buy a Meindl boot you have to make sure it was built in Germany.

Some of the coatings can prevent the soles from sticking. I use modified mountaineering boots as an arborist. They are the best boots for what we do and last the longest, that being said I go through two pairs a year. Long story short, because of the oil from the chainsaw they will not resole the boot because it only has a 50% chance of taking.
837DB5A6-E2DF-4ED6-BDE4-FE1737B2C74C.png

I think mine were in an Eastern European country though I could be wrong.

You can tell by reading the description of the boot. It will say one of two things at the end of it. If it says imported it's made in Asia. It will say made in Germany if it's made there. When I bought my Perfekts they were all made in Germany. Cabelas started to add more models and they were all made in Asia. No doubt so Cabelas could make more money on them.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back