Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting boots

Ozarkshunter95

I have a pair of cabelas gortex boots I was wondering what if anything I need to do to help extend their life and on the topic of gators are all gators pretty much created equal or is one brand better than another

I threw out $25 gaiters the first time I tried them out. Worthless junk. Not sure how much of a difference there is between the premium variety though.

I use pretty cheap gators, like $25. They work fine for me. Sometimes the foot strap gets loose, but that isn't a deal breaker for me personally. Other people would find that annoyance worth spending $100+ for a premium gator, I am not one of them....

I can't help with the boot tho, sorry.

Grease them up with Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP or something similar, like Nikwax. Keeps the leather from drying out and helps keep water out. As for gaiters I don't really like to wear them unless absolutely necessary. You can get anything from knee high gore tex gaiters to ankle height ones that just keep debris out. Outdoor Research has been a favorite of many for a long time and I like their gear.

If they are leather, do what you can to keep the leather treated with something like Obenauf's or SnoSeal to help them keep the water out. Leather will also thank you for cleaning it regularly, especially if you have been in dusty conditions. It is amazing how much leather will dry out from dirt and dust, and dry leather cracks.

As for gaiters, I ditched my cheaper ones a few years ago and picked up some Kuiu Yukons and have been very happy with them. Not sure how much they help my boots, but they help me stay dry and from tearing up pants in heavy brush.

Grease them and waterproof them at least once a year. Make sure the grease you use is approved for Gore Tex since some of them can hurt the breath-ability of the boots.
From what I read on line from the gortex guys all I need to do it use warm soapy water to clean them no need to grease them

From what I read on line from the gortex guys all I need to do it use warm soapy water to clean them no need to grease them
Are your boots all leather? If not, i don' t know if there is much you can do other than keep them clean. None leather boots will leak eventually, gore tex or not, at least in my experience.

The goretex lining should keep the boots waterproof for a while until it wears through with time, but the grease is to condition the leather to keep it from drying out and cracking at the flex points, as well as to keep it from soaking up as much water when they do get wet. Properly waxed boots won't get wet easily, but if it's wet enough eventually they'll saturate, but won't hold as much water if well waxed. I've compared Obenauf's, Kenetrek and Nixwax paste side by side, with similar results. The nikwax has a glue like smell and comes in a tube that is too small and hard to get it all out of, so gave up on it. My current everyday boots have Obenauf's on one and Kenetrek on the other and can't tell the difference. Waxed them new out of the box and again about 10 days later and they've been good ever since about 4 months ago. I get them covered in mud and pig shit and just hose them down, wipe them up with a rag and they're good as new. Haven't tried mink oil, but probably plenty who swear by it and plenty who refuse to use it, like about everything!

I read recently you should wash the inside of the boot with warm soapy water to clean the Goretex, the leather should always be treated, when wet I spray them, then treat with Nikwax.
Concentrate around the eyes and stitching and also a quick way to ruin Goretex inside the boot, long toe nails!

Gaitors, the best ones are the worst ones to get on, Berghaus Yeti, heck they even produce YouTube videos on how to go about it!

Cheers

Richard

I really like the Nike SFB army boots; I wore something like these in the military and they're just overall really well put together. They're light and dry super fast, so I never have to worry about swamp feet.

I have used Mink oil, Obenauf's and Kenetrek. I like the Kenetrek for ease of application. Obenauf's was created by a wild land firefighter for their boots, so that should tell you something about it. It is a bit harder to apply. It is real good on cracked hands, also.

As to gators, I had a pair of expensive Kenetreks, that I got for free for buying some of their expensive boots. I also have some Cabela's. I sold the Kenetreks and still have the Cabela's, I think. I could not see one bit of difference in them, personally. If I can find them, I would sell the Cabela's to you, as I don't use them anymore.

I have used Mink oil, Obenauf's and Kenetrek. I like the Kenetrek for ease of application. Obenauf's was created by a wild land firefighter for their boots, so that should tell you something about it. It is a bit harder to apply. It is real good on cracked hands, also.

As to gators, I had a pair of expensive Kenetreks, that I got for free for buying some of their expensive boots. I also have some Cabela's. I sold the Kenetreks and still have the Cabela's, I think. I could not see one bit of difference in them, personally. If I can find them, I would sell the Cabela's to you, as I don't use them anymore.
What size are they

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back