Crispi boots leaking

Cattleman

Put about 60 miles on my summit gtx 3rd week of September in Montana and my feet were soaked every single day(used a kentrek liner sock & ultralight wool) Yes there was plenty of rain and wet snow but my feet would get wet just from the wet grass for and for $330 I was very disappointed. On a side note boots are very comfortable and require next to zero break in. Bought them from Scheels and I returned them for full refund with zero questions asked. Thought about trying a set of crispi Valdres but not sure if I want to give crispi another chance after this experience

Thoughts or Recommendations???

Weird, I stood in about 10 inches of water for about 5 minutes last week trying to get my boat off shore by myself and never had a drop come through.

I've been impressed so far.

Were you wearing gaiters? Wet boots is often a result of wicking from the top and once wet boots need a bunch of time to dry

Boots will get wet eventually...waterproof is more of a misnomer especially if you do a lot of sidehilling which can stretch the membrane.
I was about to say the same.

Once they get wet they'll stay wet for days, unless you get them on a boot drier. But for that initial wetting, I would assume you just got a bad apple. I can't imagine Crispi having the rep it has, and the price it has, and consistently putting our crappy quality. But like others have said, unless you go with a rubber boot waterproof is an exaggeration.

Yes I was wearing the Sitka stormfront or thunderhead gtx gaiters everyday

It's not just Crispi. Gore-tex and the other membranes just aren't durable enough to be in a boot; my boots anyway. One boot in 25 years hasn't leaked and it's stiff enough that the toe box doesn't have a hinge point. All the others have leaked in less than 50 miles of easy use, over 15 pair so far.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Also just seen a thread titled “crispi summits leaking” on rockslide and it seams there is a lot of other guys having the similar issues so may just be a bad batch out there

It's not just Crispi. Gore-tex and the other membranes just aren't durable enough to be in a boot; my boots anyway. One boot in 25 years hasn't leaked and it's stiff enough that the toe box doesn't have a hinge point. All the others have leaked in less than 50 miles of easy use, over 15 pair so far.

View attachment 117855

View attachment 117856

View attachment 117857
Agreed. I've tried lots of boots brands over the years, the boots last a whole lot longer than the waterproof membranes in my opinion. I try to have two pairs of boots when possible, one waterproof and one not and only use the waterproof ones when needed. If the weather isn't wet I use the non waterproof pair, only way I've found to stretch the life of the waterproof membranes.

I had a pair of dakotas leak after 1 year. I own 2 other different models. They’ve been fantastic. I’m a crispi fan BUT, the replacement pair they sent me through warranty were made in Indonesia or Malaysia or something, not Italy. They looked fine, construction seemed fine, but the very first day I wore them I realized there was too much material in the upper allowing my foot to slide around a bit, causing a lot of blisters. They were not as snug as my original dakotas. I contacted crispi right away and they said they couldn’t do anything about it since I had already taken them on a hike. So although I think the original boots are excellent, I will not buy another crispi boot that’s not 100% leather. That way when goretex wears out I can just keep water proofing the leather.

Back