Lever gun and a story

Where can I find one for my 94?

This is what I use, but I modify it slightly on the front end to keep it from occluding my front sight.

You can see the modification in this photo I think.

Beautiful rifle and a wonderful story

Congratulations and best of luck on all your hunts with it

I know some of you guys love these old rifles and some of the history that goes with them so thought I would share. I’m not a great gun aficionado like some of you, but I do appreciate the history and stories associated with some of the classics.

I just inherited this rifle. Winchester .30WCF. Serial number places it’s manufacture in 1916. It’s in beautiful shape. All original as far as we can tell, except I think the sights are aftermarket and it’s missing the saddle ring.

View attachment 224299
View attachment 224300
View attachment 224301
View attachment 224302

My dad researched the history and pieced together the story from old census data, military records, and family stories and documents:

The rifle came to my family sometime in the late 1930’s. One of my great uncles bought it, likely just a couple of years before he was drafted during WWII. He was assigned to help bolster the National Guard 163rd Infantry Regiment (which as we understand is a Montana unit) and went to Ft. Lewis, WA on December 7, 1941, of all days.

The 163rd was eventually sent to New Guinea and fought the Japanese across several islands. My great uncle was killed on the island of Wadke on May 18th, 1944.

At that time, his brother (another great uncle) took the rifle and carried it deer hunting a few times. The last time he took it hunting was 1956. It has been in the safe ever since.

My dad’s cousin recently called my dad and told him about the rifle. He’s had it since my great uncle passed away, and wanted to know if I would take it. His only request was that I take it deer hunting. So I guess I have a mission this fall. We took it out today and shot it. It reliably kills clay pigeons offhand at 50 yards, so if I practice I should be able to shoot it well enough to fill a tag. Looking forward to it.
What a beautiful 94 and great history, thanks for posting. Following w great interest :D

That is a great piece of family history!
I have a 94 it is stamped 30-30 Win so not as old as yours. It was gifted to me along with some other guns from a WWII Vet that I helped years ago until his passing. I haven't done anything with it other than a good cleaning. I should take it out and hunt with it. I am just afraid of something happening to it.

When you tag out, remember...A toast to the East, a toast to the west, then North & South. It's an honorable tribute to the rising and setting sun and to the poles of earth to which give our bounty. Go forth, slay critters, and do the rifle proud. (P.S. pictues are always welcomed)

Yes they can. Nothing like a holy $&%# crack in the stock.
Tragedy is really just patina for the next owner. It's part of the story making process that should never cease. For instance, the rifle I used on that moose was from the late 1870s, so about 140-150 yrs old when I took it to Alaska. It got more patina, of course! The moose didn't care. Use, is not abuse.

Rub it down, oil it up, glue whatever, and continue on!

I have two family Winchesters. One is my grandpa's and his brothers' 1897 shotgun which is my annual turkey killer. Successful yet again this year. It's well worn and I have used it in at least 4 states since I have owned it. The other is an 1890 .22 pump from the other side of the family that still kills squirrels. I shot wore out the barrel as a kid so I had it relined and I continue to make dinners with it.

Use 'em!

Where is the original owner buried? Try to get a photo of his military stone to go with your private family history. I'm guessing the VFW could help you with that.

I don't think I'd change it much. Great uncle undoubtedly removed the saddle ring during the few years he owned it before WWII. I don't blame him. All they do is rattle and wear off bluing. Never could understand the utility outside of shooting at Indians from a running horse and as far as I know the US military never adopted the Model 1894. Anyway, missing saddle ring is part of the story that you'll be erasing by replacing it. But I'm a doctor of history so kinda biased about that kinda thing.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back