Lever action restorations

It should be case colored, you know. :)

52rn1R6.jpg
nice case colors, the only problem with filling the scope holes is that the metal will not be consistent and the repair will be more visible. Your job looks as good as anything I have seen, including Turnbull restorations.

nice case colors, the only problem with filling the scope holes is that the metal will not be consistent and the repair will be more visible. Your job looks as good as anything I have seen, including Turnbull restorations.
That action came to me like this.... Note the extra holes

Marlin 1895 Nov 2013 A.jpgMarlin 1895 Nov 2013 D.jpg

Marlin 1895 Nov 2013 E.jpg

To be totally truthful, the case coloring turned out to be crap, but that's another story. The holes can be dealt with and case coloring helps in that process sometimes.

Last edited:
I finally got my hands on the model 94 that was my grandfather's. Serial number dates it to 1941. I gave it 5 minutes before I took the scope off, it just bugged me. The bluing on the receiver is in rough shape. And there are 4 holes in the receiver from the scope mount. But the wood is in really good shape for a gun that saw a lot of use.

I'll take it to a local gunsmith and talk to him about it. My initial thought is to have him clean it, check out the bore, and reblued it. I'd like to use it again to hunt with. As I said, it was my grandfather's and will now have a spot in my safe as long as I'm around.
You did good, scopes on 94s are sacrilege.

The first thing I would do is completely disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning until the bore is bright and your patches come out clean.

If you get the bolt out of the 1894, you can easily do a breech-first cleaning on it.

My 1916 30/30 went from an 8 minute shooter to 2 minutes with the rear peep off the bench. I got blue crud, then brown, then black, then blue, etc. Finally got down to a clean bore.
Looking at the bore scope you would think it is so pitted it would never group, but it does.

This rifle came to me as an heirloom and I'm pretty sure it had never been seriously cleaned. It is a rare variant and I wouldn't think of changing it.

leave it alone, restoration takes away all the history, when you are sitting quietly you can speculate on when what nick or scratch happened and who may have carried it. For standard 94's there are plenty of replacement barrels that would match period. Besides when it is pretty and impersonal you will not take it hunting for fear of messing up the restoration!
Just traded for a 94, serial # purse it between 1950 and 1960. Barrel is toast, literal hack job. Any recommendations on a replacement barrel?

Just traded for a 94, serial # purse it between 1950 and 1960. Barrel is toast, literal hack job. Any recommendations on a replacement barrel?
Check Green Mt. Not sure what they have lately, but I have one of their barrels on my vintage Marlin 1895 square bolt .45-70.
Also, watch Ebay and Gunbroker for parts. Barrels tend to be easy to find.

Check Green Mt. Not sure what they have lately, but I have one of their barrels on my vintage Marlin 1895 square bolt .45-70.
Also, watch Ebay and Gunbroker for parts. Barrels tend to be easy to find.
Thanks for the info. Gunbroker has some stuff, I'm gonna have my Smith look it before I buy anything.

Thanks for the info. Gunbroker has some stuff, I'm gonna have my Smith look it before I buy anything.
Relining and reboring may be an option, though if it was hacksawed, maybe not.

I had a .32 Win Sp reboarded to 38-55. I've got a relined .38-40

Well it took awhile but I finally got off my butt and took the rifle to a gunsmith back in June. I got the call this afternoon it was ready to pick up. Allen Springer at Snowy Mountain Blue Gun Restoration in MT did the rust bluing, case coloring and stock refinishing. I had the scope mount holes weld filled and with the case coloring you can't tell they were ever there. I'm super happy with Allen's work, he's a great guy to work with. Just need to find a tang peep sight I like and then get a deer tag in my pocket.

Attachments

• PXL_20220804_235238674.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220804_235238674.MP.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220804_235231286.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220804_235231286.MP.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220804_235312941.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220804_235312941.MP.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220804_235150158.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220804_235150158.MP.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220804_235204280.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220804_235204280.MP.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220804_235157707.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220804_235157707.MP.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 20
Spectacular work! What kind of tang sight do you have in mind?

I'm a big believer in tang sights, especially from Montana Vintage arms. https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

I've used most of those and especially like the #131 on a lever rifle.

This works well also, but is not as repeatable as the verniers.

Picking the right sight can let you use your barrel sights as well as tang for different ranges and situations.

Is that a thumb lever on the hammer spur? Those are usually reserved for use with a scope. Will it be removed?

Looks like you will ready for the coming hunting season.

Spectacular work! What kind of tang sight do you have in mind?

I'm a big believer in tang sights, especially from Montana Vintage arms. https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

I've used most of those and especially like the #131 on a lever rifle.

This works well also, but is not as repeatable as the verniers.

Picking the right sight can let you use your barrel sights as well as tang for different ranges and situations.

Is that a thumb lever on the hammer spur? Those are usually reserved for use with a scope. Will it be removed?

Looks like you will ready for the coming hunting season.
The MVA tang sight you linked is the one I had in mind. The gunsmith I worked with was speaking highly of them.

That is a thumb extension on the hammer. My granddad had it on there. I haven't decided if I'll leave it on or not.

The MVA tang sight you linked is the one I had in mind. The gunsmith I worked with was speaking highly of them.

That is a thumb extension on the hammer. My granddad had it on there. I haven't decided if I'll leave it on or not.
I hate to say it, but you may regret filling in those scope holes one day. I think I'm going to have to drill and tap mine sooner than later. Keep the thumb spur handy (drill a hole under the grip cap or buttplate and stick it in there in a small plastic bag or oily cloth put a firing pin or three in there too). I have to find one someday soonish.

I should add that the verniers have a few advantages over the lollipop Marbles clone. Repeatability being a big one.

I'm a real advocate for MVA. I've bought or won many of their sights. I have one of their scopes on order and another in my safe. They are the gold standard.

Back