Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lever action restorations

Kaitum

I'm debating a project with an old Winchester model 94 that has been in my family a long time. Like most 94s, it was a 'working man's gun' that got used every deer season and didn't just sit in the gun cabinet, so it has seen better days. Curious if anyone has restored a lever action, any lever action. I'd like to see pictures of the work.

I've done what four22 suggests, I've remarried them and I've built them back from the ground up with new barrels, tubes, wood, etc. Depends on what I start with and what I want to finish with. Fun projects.

leave it alone, restoration takes away all the history, when you are sitting quietly you can speculate on when what nick or scratch happened and who may have carried it. For standard 94's there are plenty of replacement barrels that would match period. Besides when it is pretty and impersonal you will not take it hunting for fear of messing up the restoration!

leave it alone, restoration takes away all the history, when you are sitting quietly you can speculate on when what nick or scratch happened and who may have carried it. For standard 94's there are plenty of replacement barrels that would match period. Besides when it is pretty and impersonal you will not take it hunting for fear of messing up the restoration!
I agree, Not to mention original 94s are pretty valuable. Not so much when they've been restored.

I have my GGrandfathers 1929 Mod 94 which fed many war widows in his county during WWII. He worked in Brownwood Tx at a POW camp and drove home to Golthwaite every afternoon. If he saw a deer, he'd shoot it. Take it to his friend the Sheriff of Mills County and they'd cut it up then determine which family to give the meat to. I wouldn't dream of restoring it. That rifle EARNED it's scars!

Attachments

• 20210927_131625.jpg
    20210927_131625.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 40
@Kaitum, I'm a little late to this party but wanted to toss my two cents in. Without pics its hard to say the exact condition of the gun currently. Intent and sentiment play a big part in this decision. If you intend to keep this gun, what do you intend to use it for?

IF you intend to keep it for the sentimental value/reminders of the past (the scratches, gouges, etc.), and/or sell it as a collectors piece, then do not restore it. As others have said, restoration work will remove the reminders of the past and devalues it from a collectors perspective. I would suggest taking it to a professional gunsmith and having them do a complete takedown and cleaning. This shouldn't detract from the sentimental/collectors value and any potential issues could be addressed. ***NOTE - Regardless of the potential detraction to the sentimental/collectors value; I strongly recommend any damaged or "worn to the point of potential failure" parts should be replaced if you intend to ever use the gun again. OR at the very least make a note of these potential issues so the next owner can determine what to do about them. I am lucky enough to have a few guns in this sentimental value/reminders of the past category. Most I inherited from my family and one or two others that I acquired to round out my personal collection.

IF you intent to keep this gun and use it for hunting then I would suggest a restoration. Yes you lose the collectors value and possibly some of the sentimental value/reminders of the past but the gun would be better protected (especially the metal) and stay in functioning condition longer. I've done various restoration work (or had the work done by a professional) on a few lever guns that I intend to hunt with. Full restoration (re-blue the metal, re-finish on the wood furniture, replaced worn/damage parts) on a Marlin336 chambered in 30-30; re-finished the wood furniture on a Savage 99 chambered in 300SAV (see attached pic of the gun and the big woods buck I took with it this past year. he busted his antler off during his after-shot tumble); and I'm in process of a complete restoration on a Savage 99 chambered in 303SAV ← this one was in bad shape, cracks and warping stock/forearm, surface rust with slight pitting on 60% of the barrel (although the bore was somehow still clear), and missing the rear sight. I have identified a company that will rough cut some walnut to match the original Savage specs for the stock/forearm. Working with a gunsmith on cleaning, parts replacement, and re-blue the metal. I'm trying to keep it "looking" period authentic and attaching a Marbles peep sight that matches the time period this gun was made (~1927). All of these guns have lost most of their collectors value but they are/will be in better functional shape than they were pre-restoration and since I intend to use them in the woods that suites me just fine.

To make a long post short, figure out what your intentions for this gun are and then make a plan that fits those intentions. Best of luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20211127_152737053.jpg
    IMG_20211127_152737053.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 36
I finally got my hands on the model 94 that was my grandfather's. Serial number dates it to 1941. I gave it 5 minutes before I took the scope off, it just bugged me. The bluing on the receiver is in rough shape. And there are 4 holes in the receiver from the scope mount. But the wood is in really good shape for a gun that saw a lot of use.

I'll take it to a local gunsmith and talk to him about it. My initial thought is to have him clean it, check out the bore, and reblued it. I'd like to use it again to hunt with. As I said, it was my grandfather's and will now have a spot in my safe as long as I'm around.

Attachments

• PXL_20220214_224719769.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220214_224719769.MP.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20220214_231835744.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220214_231835744.MP.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20220214_231843326.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220214_231843326.MP.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20220214_231851516.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220214_231851516.MP.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 40
The wood looks like it's still in good shape. And as a bonus, the screw holes are in a straight line! That'll look good with fresh bluing.

If that was mine, I would consider that the scope mount screw holes have already effected the collector value so I would reblue. I would also assume that you could have those holes filled prior to refinishing and it would be like they were never there. Then get that thing back into the woods. (y)

When you sent me those pics the other night I was like damn that thing is fugly! I bet it will look great reconditioned. There isn't much value to it with the scope mount holes and like you said it's a working man's gun so once cleaned up I think you need to plink a few stink pigs with it.

I would plug the holes with headless screws, save the scope and hammer extension for the future, and take it hunting. It has more finish than a lot of them do. That scope was on there for a reason. Some day you might have the same reason. It looks like grandaddy's gun. If you blue it, it will look like anybody's gun.
My 2 cents.

Sweet ! Looking forward to more pics.
Look up Turnbull, they do good work but pricey.

I finally got my hands on the model 94 that was my grandfather's. Serial number dates it to 1941. I gave it 5 minutes before I took the scope off, it just bugged me. The bluing on the receiver is in rough shape. And there are 4 holes in the receiver from the scope mount. But the wood is in really good shape for a gun that saw a lot of use.

I'll take it to a local gunsmith and talk to him about it. My initial thought is to have him clean it, check out the bore, and reblued it. I'd like to use it again to hunt with. As I said, it was my grandfather's and will now have a spot in my safe as long as I'm around.cope mounting holes
If he is good he can fill the scope mount holes and refinish over them, rather than a real bright blue a matte finish will hide the holes better and stand up to carrying and handling the action; barrel and tube could go bright blue if you want. the scope holes pretty much wiped out collector value so a good candidate to refinish.

My input is a little different as I bought this 1972 model 94,to refinish. I found out --the post 64' models will not take the ""bluing"" ( hot or cold ) so I sanded down the receiver with some 5000 grit paper and it made it look somewhat better. Mine was missing the screws from a scope too,but I found some on E-Bay to fill in the holes. After about 14 coats of hand rubbed Tru-oil it was dressed up again ****_________good luck with your project and share some pictures,when you finish it**

Attachments

• 1972 Winchester Model 94 30-30.jpg
    1972 Winchester Model 94 30-30.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 29
If he is good he can fill the scope mount holes and refinish over them, rather than a real bright blue a matte finish will hide the holes better and stand up to carrying and handling the action; barrel and tube could go bright blue if you want. the scope holes pretty much wiped out collector value so a good candidate to refinish.

It should be case colored, you know. :)

52rn1R6.jpg

I took it out to shoot just a bit today. The trigger is stiff and the buckhorn sights don't agree with my eyes. But after three shots to figure out the aim, the next three shots are as good as I can do with open sights. Half dollar circle at 75 yards using cheap factory ammo.

Attachments

• PXL_20220215_234541107.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220215_234541107.MP.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 5
Here's a site for the local gunsmith I'll visit with. I've heard good reviews and his gallery is worth looking at over and over.

I'll take it to a local gunsmith and talk to him about it. My initial thought is to have him clean it, check out the bore, and reblued it. I'd like to use it again to hunt with. As I said, it was my grandfather's and will now have a spot in my safe as long as I'm around.
The wood looks pretty good. It should clean up easily with stripper, light sanding, and steam out any dents. Use an oil finish to refinish. I like Linspeed. PM me if you have any questions. I have done a lot of it.

Get it reblued. You don't want it left looking like that. A gunsmith might be able to fill and polish those screw holes or just use plug screws which wouldn't look too bad. I vote for reblueing it but just the typical factory look, not glossy black. Case hardened would look cool though not original.

Here's a site for the local gunsmith I'll visit with. I've heard good reviews and his gallery is worth looking at over and over.

And his prices are pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back