Leupold

This is why I stick with Leupold, they have the best customer service and their glass the past 5 years has definitely gotten better. Love their scopes more then the two ziess scopes that I have

Interesting, cause the glass in the upper class Leupold scopes is actually Zeiss xD

I'm having a nightmare experience with Leupold's service department right now over a new spotting scope.

So far it's been one service disaster one after another. I'm okay with a couple of oops, but not multiple mistakes over and over.

Last edited:
I've never had an issue with anything Vortex and own a pair of their binos, an 85mm spotter, a crossfire 3-9, and two PST line scopes. However, I recently went with Leupold VX-3i CDS scopes for my wife and my hunting rifles. I figure once I get the CDS dialed, it will be easier to tell her to dial to a range than give an MOA correction. Easier for me while hunting too.

Interesting, cause the glass in the upper class Leupold scopes is actually Zeiss xD
How do you know this? I know they say their upper end is sourced from Japan and Europe, but specifically which models have Zeiss as opposed to Japanese? Not that there is anything wrong with Japanese glass.

Just spoke to Leupold today... they've promised to ship my order today. Fingers are crossed.

Six years ago I guided a group of Leupold big shots. Learned on that trip they knew they had dropped the ball in competition, had new management and planned to come roaring back. I’ve guided them since and come to believe they will continue to improve and develop good product. They admit there is still work to do, the Vx3 line is probably a great example of improved value.
couple of examples of poor customer service read to me like a perfect opportunity to go up the chain of command.

I emailed CS a week or more ago about availability of an item and have yet to receive a response. Usually they are pretty good about answering emails.

I've had nothing but trouble with Leupold rangefinders. The first one had the LED display start to go out just after the 2yr warranty on the electronics expired. So I bought a new one (stupid, stupid me). That one lasted a year and wouldn't range anything except metallic objects. I sent it in to Leupold's customer service 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing. Not even an email saying it was received. I called yesterday and was 31st in the que, so left my number for a call back. Maybe they will call me today I guess?
I like the product when it works, but I am having trouble believing I keep getting lemons. Especially when there are 30+ people on the phone line ahead of me. If it is supply chain or fires or whatever, I am fine with all that. Nothing irritates me more than lack of communication from a business. It's a solvable problem.

I inquired about 3 CDS dials I ordered. They responded within a couple of hours, and I had tracking info within 48 hrs. This is only the second time I have had to reach out to them, the other was for tech support, and they have been great both times.

Its a large company juggling many things and burning many candles. Even Michael Jordan missed the occasional jump shot.......

I inquired about 3 CDS dials I ordered. They responded within a couple of hours, and I had tracking info within 48 hrs. This is only the second time I have had to reach out to them, the other was for tech support, and they have been great both times.

Its a large company juggling many things and burning many candles. Even Michael Jordan missed the occasional jump shot.......

Except that MJ was EXPECTED to miss about half the time.

Except that MJ was EXPECTED to miss about half the time.

Yeah, we all know that. Point is, even those who are considered one of the best at what they do, still aren't perfect.

If you go back and read this thread, you will find that almost everyone is very happy with Leupold, to the point where it seems they have a better shooting percentage than Jordan......

Vortex has been mentioned as well. I can tell two stories in the past two years where they have gone OUT OF THEIR WAY to accommodate me with warranty fixes after my heavy-handed/don't care because I didn't pay for it co-workers, have broken a spotting scope and brand new set of binos.

Both companies will keep getting my money.

Yeah, we all know that. Point is, even those who are considered one of the best at what they do, still aren't perfect.

If you go back and read this thread, you will find that almost everyone is very happy with Leupold, to the point where it seems they have a better shooting percentage than Jordan......

Vortex has been mentioned as well. I can tell two stories in the past two years where they have gone OUT OF THEIR WAY to accommodate me with warranty fixes after my heavy-handed/don't care because I didn't pay for it co-workers, have broken a spotting scope and brand new set of binos.

Both companies will keep getting my money.

I know they are good and I own a number of Leupold scopes. My point was that while 50% success is great in some areas, it won't cut the mustard in a lot of the business world.

I know they are good and I own a number of Leupold scopes. My point was that while 50% success is great in some areas, it won't cut the mustard in a lot of the business world.
Agree. If you buy something and it works, you think it is great and probably buy more. If it does break, you measure the "value" on the customer service experience you receive to rectify the situation. 50% is not an option. The company needs to shoot for making customers happy 100% of the time. Once you lose a customer to a bad experience, you will probably never get them back. I am getting there quickly. Nothing irritates me more than to have a service that says you will be called back and they never call you back.

Hey guys n gals heres an update
Came home from work and had a package in it was a new pair of luepold BX2 alpines they couldnt fix my old cascades abt 25 to 30 yr old these new ones are very nice, harnees and carry bag that can go on belt or my pack Im very happy with the service this sealed the deal on my new cds scope !!!

I just put a new VX-Freedom with the "Tri-MOA" reticle on my .270. When sighting it in, I had alot of issues getting the reticle to focus on a black&orange target. I tried adjusting the eyepiece, but it didn't do much good. I didn't have an issue with bright targets though. Anyone else have experience with this?
I'm worried about having this issue in the field on a dark/shaded target.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back