Leupold spotting scopes

afullerton

I'm in the market for a spotting scope. I have narrowed it down to the gold ring in either 12x40 or the compact in 15x30. Their does not seem to be a whole lot of difference in size or weight between the two. If anyone has experience using the two or suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.

To clarify is the 12-40 60mm and the 15-30 50mm?

Have you looked at any other scopes? Lost to choose from in this price point, many are better IMO.

yes its 12-40 60mm and 15-30 50mm. haven't looked around at others. I have pretty much stuck to leupold optics. What other brands might you suggest

If lightweight packability is important I might recommend taking a look at Nikon's 50mm ED. Weighs in at a whopping 16oz and has great optics. For what its worth I really like the Gold Ring 50mm as well.

I had a leupold spotting scope once. It was the leupold sequoia that my wife gave me for Christmas one year. I highly recommend that you stay away from that model. It was heavy and although it was a 20-60x80 you could never get a clear picture view past 40x. Leupold would not refund it at all. If you do go with a leupold I would stay with the gold ring but your best bet is to keep leupold for rifle scopes only and move up to a leica, zeiss or swaro spotter. I have a leica now and I love it.

If your wanting a compact 50mm spend less money and get the optically better minox MD50, or jump to the top and get the superior ED50.

I have the 12x40x60 Leupold Gold Ring. Love it. I've had it for about 6-7 years now. The size/design is perfect for a pack. I keep mine attached to the tripod in my MR. Optics are great.
That scope is the perfect fit for my hunting style.

Last edited:
I have the 12x40x60 Leupold Gold Ring. Love it. I've had it for about 6-7 years now. The size/design is perfect for a pack. I keep mine attached to the tripod in my MR. Optics are great.

I have two of those exact scopes. They take a beating, are very "packable" and very good optics for the price.

I PM'ed you a couple prices, check it out. I can probably save you about $100 off what the big stores sell the 60mm for.

I can not speak on a level of rich experience re: spotting scopes though I can speak to the credibility and service Schmalts provides (Predator Optics). Outstanding!

For the price point he assisted me in finding a nice spotting scope (I went with Leupold), I have yet to find one close to his price in the retail world.

Nothing to me feels better then going into a store, browsing their selection of spotting scopes and smiling at my purchase.

Have the 12-40x60 and love it, easy to pack and crystal clear. Definitely hard to beat.
I second what Sytes mentioned above, if you need optics, go to Schmalts first. You will end up with the best price and may even end up with something you thought you might not be able to afford.

I reccomend the Nikon ED50. If you can buy just the body, do it. The eyepiece that comes with it is the 13x30 power. If you can, find the 13x40 power, the eye relief is much better. Also, look into the 27 power fixed wide angle. This is a sweet little scope, and Nikon takes better care of the higher end stuff with thier warranty. I broke mine (my fault), and they sent me a new one for $25.

That little scope is light as a feather and clear as can be, even in low light.

I would recommend actually going into a Cabela's or Bass Pro and taking a look at what they have. The Cabela's products do offer a great buy. Main reason is the price as well as clarity and the biggest thing...... they are made by Swarovski and Nikon. Take a look at the price point. The fact that you can return them to the store and get them replaced. Never would say dont buy Nikon or Leupold or any of the other brands. However, I am all about bang for buck and how well the company supports their product.

I am slowely but surely buying quality gear. 2009 it was a bow (Hoyt Alpha Max 32) 2010 it was a good rangefinder (Leupold RX II) Last year was good boots (Lowa GTX Hunters) this year its a good pack (MR Longbow) 2013 its gonna be good binos. I wanted some Leupold 10x42 Gold Rings but that line has been discontinued so not sure what I will buy. 2014 I plan on buying a good spotter. The Leupold 12-40x60mm is at the top of my list.

Last edited:
I had a leupold spotting scope once. It was the leupold sequoia that my wife gave me for Christmas one year. I highly recommend that you stay away from that model. It was heavy and although it was a 20-60x80 you could never get a clear picture view past 40x. Leupold would not refund it at all. If you do go with a leupold I would stay with the gold ring but your best bet is to keep leupold for rifle scopes only and move up to a leica, zeiss or swaro spotter. I have a leica now and I love it.

Similar experience with the sequoia.

On the topic of spotting scopes what are the pro / cons between an angled spotting scope vs. a straight spotting scope?

Straight is probably better for most window mounted apps, but if you get an agnled that can be rotated in the body they can be just as nice once you get used to them.
I like angled better, I find it less stress on my neck to look down into a scope rather than straight in. An angled you can also use a lower tripod.
Tough choice to make, but both will work in the end. I am not a fan of an angled body that will not rotate in the mount.

I was also in the market two years ago for a spotter....I looked at all the Leupolds as that is what I use for glass. Could not get a clear pictures with any of their spotters at long distances....I then decided to do it right and get a Swarovski and couldnt be happier. Well, I could have if I went with the Leica, but heck we have to have a line drawn somewhere in our finances lol.

But, in that price it was the best of the mid-class spotters I looked at before I went to the top level

i have a vortex razor hd 20x60x85mm. great optics, and an unbeatable warranty. throw it off the hill and they will get ya a new one, no questions asked. with taxes i believe it was about 1600 out the door

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back