Leupold scopes love or hate em?

I’ve got 2 VX5 and 1 VX Freedom. They’ve been great so far. I have several Nikon scopes and they’ve been excellent. The new VX4 are very interesting to me.
 
My first Leupold was a vx2 2-7. Lived on a 12gauge slug gun, then a .270, now a .22 lr. Never had an issue.
Bought a vx freedom 3-9 that will hold zero for months then shifted 2 inches left. No wind to blame. Did it again a couple months later.
Have a vx6 2-12 that the zero floats a little, seems like it is 3/4 to an inch different every time I take it to the range. But always right around my original zero. The freedom and vx6 both take a couple shots to asjust when I click them.
Vx3 3-10 has never had an issue. Adjusts as soon as I click it, holds zero fine between range sessions.
 
The zero retention/return to zero issues I've seen across VX-2's/3's/5's/6's is such that I couldn't recommend one for anything beyond plinking. The MK5's have a better track record that I've personally observed, not perfect but much better. If I had to use a Leupold it'd be a MK5 3-18 or 5-25, and I'd put it through some paces before I trusted it.
 
The zero retention/return to zero issues I've seen across VX-2's/3's/5's/6's is such that I couldn't recommend one for anything beyond plinking. The MK5's have a better track record that I've personally observed, not perfect but much better. If I had to use a Leupold it'd be a MK5 3-18 or 5-25, and I'd put it through some paces before I trusted it.
I have "plinked" a bit with several VX2's. mtmuley
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,186
Messages
2,252,756
Members
39,107
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top