Leupold/M1 turrets/custom shop?

huntin24/7

I recently decided to go the route of the M1 turret with a leupold vx-3i scope after debating that option, cds, and b&c reticle. After talking to leupold today to make sure the scope I was looking at(great deals at midway USA right now and offered by schmaltz recently too) was compatible with the M1 turret, was told the leupold custom shop was restructuring, they didn’t know if they would be retrofitting these scopes in the future, and they weren’t sure when the custom shop would be up and running. The dilemma is that I want to buy the scope now with the good deals. I’d like to just buy the scope, check with leupold when the custom shop is up again and do the retrofit if possible at that point. If not, have a different turret put on. Thoughts? Any other recommendations for elevation turrets if leupold no longer offers this option?

SWFA 3-9 SS if you need variable, 6x or 10x fixed if not.

You could just build a range card for the m1 turrets. That way if you ever swap the scope to a different rifle or change anything with the current set up, you wouldn’t have custom dials for a specific load collecting dust.

Kinda leaning toward the 4.5-14 Vx3i since that’s what I have on the rifle my wife and I mostly use and we both really like it. Any reason to not go that route? Also, any reason to go 30mm over 1” for shooting up to 600-700 yards max? Great info so far guys. This turret business is kind of a learning curve after years of holdover. Lol

VX3i is a decent scope...are there better ones for your purpose? definitely spend more money on the VX5 or Zeiss V4 and a host of other scopes. If you opt for the 4.5-14 be sure you buy the one with the parallax adjustment. The 30mm version will give you more elevation adjustment to work with

I’ve noticed a lot of guys seem to like scopes with less zoom like the 3-9 when shooting longer distance with turrets. Any reason for this? I would’ve thought being able to zoom in more at 500+ yards would be ideal.

I got my scope and called leupold. My plan was to get M1 turrets installed if they end up still offering that when the custom shop reopens. I can still get the s1 dial as a backup plan. The scope came with the cds dial on it. I don’t want to go the custom load route with a dial so I can use my turret for different loads at times. If they don’t do anymore retrofits for M1 turrets, could a guy just use the cds dial and figure out your own drop chart? I’m wondering if an s1 dial is any better, minus the zero stop, than the regular cds.

I got my scope and called leupold. My plan was to get M1 turrets installed if they end up still offering that when the custom shop reopens. I can still get the s1 dial as a backup plan. The scope came with the cds dial on it. I don’t want to go the custom load route with a dial so I can use my turret for different loads at times. If they don’t do anymore retrofits for M1 turrets, could a guy just use the cds dial and figure out your own drop chart? I’m wondering if an s1 dial is any better, minus the zero stop, than the regular cds.

I thought that all the cds scopes could be used with a MOA cap...if that's the case...not sure why you would even go M1...

I thought that all the cds scopes could be used with a MOA cap...if that's the case...not sure why you would even go M1...
Ok. I’m trying to figure out this whole turret thing for the first time and don’t hunt with anyone who has them. Do you think I’d be just as well off just using the cds dial it comes with and figure out my own drop chart? I appreciate the tips!

If the cds comes with an MOA turret cap...yes, that is what I would do.

No matter if you have an M1 or a cds cap marked MOA, you're still going to have figure out your own drop chart. You're going to have to confirm come-ups via shooting and IME, I've almost always had to adjust my charts some. As long as your chart reflects range verification...you're good to go.

Use what makes sense to you for a chart...mine I tape to the rifle stock, some tape to scope covers, etc. I cant see up close for chit these days so I prefer the bigger font on a chart taped to the stock.

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4698.JPG

I’ve noticed a lot of guys seem to like scopes with less zoom like the 3-9 when shooting longer distance with turrets. Any reason for this? I would’ve thought being able to zoom in more at 500+ yards would be ideal.

It doesn’t take a lot of magnification to shoot at “reasonable” shooting distances.

Personally I run 4x handgun scopes to 400 yards on single shot handguns for big game and don’t have issues.

The more magnification the more it magnifies your wobble.

This is how it comes. I would think it should work fine.

Yep. You will be fine. Just figure out your drops for your specific bullet and load.More important learn about MOA and learn to read wind.
Also you can retro that MOA turret with a ball bearing and make it a zero stop.

I just saw that the VX-3i CDS is now available with the ZeroLock turret. It looks like it might be limited to one revolution but that would probably take me farther than I should shoot anyway.

I have an M1 elevation turret on an older 4.5-14. For hunting, I would prefer the lower height of the CDS turret.

Have the CDS custom dial made. If you take time to chrono the load and give them accurate info there is a chance you will not need any charts to mess with. In the event the dial (free of charge) is not quite accurate enough then make a chart. But I would at least give it a try, that is what the CDS is all about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back