Yeti GOBOX Collection

Leupold differences

Bigjay73

Looking to put a new scope on a 30-06. What are the differences in the VX1, VX2, and Rifleman? They are all about the same price.

Glass coatings is the big difference between most scopes, among other things. Better glass = better light transmission, clearer image, etc... Go with the Vx-2

Last edited:
I have owned all 3 at some point in time. They are all good glass. At high noon on a sunny day you probably couldn't tell much of a difference. I would say that at first or last light (when a lot of shots are taken), is where you'll notice the difference. I use a VX-2 on my hunting rifle and for the money it is definitely a nice piece.

I always use the VX3 variety. Never had any issues with them. That's all I'll buy for my hunting rifles.

I found a vx2 4-12x40 40mm with CDS online. I can't find this scope on Leupolds website. Anyone seen this flavor VX2 before? It's only $367. Seems like a good deal, but strange that Leupold doesn't show it . It's exactly what Im looking for.

I found a vx2 4-12x40 40mm with CDS online. I can't find this scope on Leupolds website. Anyone seen this flavor VX2 before? It's only $367. Seems like a good deal, but strange that Leupold doesn't show it . It's exactly what Im looking for.

I have a VX2 4-12 with CDS. mtmuley

I've used a VX-3, 1.75-6.0 for deer, bear, four sheep, antelope, caribou, moose, elk, and coyotes. I've never taken it off of 4x. I previously used a VX-2, but at last light on a Colorado elk hunt I couldn't see well enough to shoot. The VX-3 has better coatings and are brighter (more light transmission) and I have not missed an opportunity at last light since. If you're an younger person, your iris might open up to 7mm, older farts like me are probably are only good for 5.5-6 mm. The more light in the exit pupil the brighter the image. FWIW. GJ

Last edited:
I've used a VX-3, 1.75-6.0 for deer, bear, four sheep, antelope, caribou, moose, elk, and coyotes. I've never taken it off of 4x. I previously used a VX-2, but at last light on a Colorado elk hunt I couldn't see well enough to shoot. The VX-3 has better coatings and are brighter (more light transmission) and I have not missed an opportunity at last light since. If you're an younger person, your iris might open up to 7mm, older farts like me are probably are only good for 5.5-6 mm. The more light in the exit pupil the brighter the image. FWIW. GJ
I do like the vx3, really like the vx5, but I have 2 rifles that need scopes. Was hoping to get something a little more economical for my 06, and maybe get a 5 for my 6.5 which I want to use for a 1000yd target gun/ coyote antelope gun. Maybe Im looking at it backwards since the 06 will be a deer/ elk rifle and your points of low light conditions will be not nearly as important on yotes and lopes. Decisions decisions

How do you like it? I'll be using it for 500 yd target practice and 300 yd max hunting hunting shots

I like the VX2 line. Great glass for the price. One of mine has lived on a .300 RUM for 15 years. I've twisted it some. So far so good. mtmuley

Nothing not to like about the 2's but for a few more bucks (at Schmalts's pricing) the new 3's are a bargain IMO.

Yeah, Im looking that way now. Actually found a 3.5-10x40 cds on amazon for $400. I think that would be adequate for what Im using it for.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back