Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Leupold CDS System

paul.eshelman

I am looking to buy a new scope for my Remington 700 .300 Win Mag, and have been looking at scopes compatible with Leupolds' CDS System. I currently have a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 with the BDC system and am not the biggest fan of the BDC. I have done some research on the Leupold Scopes but not a ton and am on the fence about using a custom dial. Has anyone had experience with them and if so what do you think? Is the scope with the dial easy to use and sight in? Or does the dial serve as more of an inconvenience greater than the BDC system. I do not shoot anything further than 500 yards and shoot custom handloads. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
To use the CDS you need to get your specs to leupold (velocity, bullet BC, and atmospheric conditions) they build you a turret and you swap it out with the stock MOA turret. The only issue I’ve heard with them is that it takes them a while to get the CDS built and back to you so you need to get the ball rolling way before hunting season.

Last edited:
You will much better served to use the MOA turret and then attach a dope sheet to the stock or scope bell after you verify all yardages that you will be shooting.

The CDS rocks. I shoot 4-5 in groups at 600 with mine. I have them on all my rifles now. Get it and don't look back. You'll need a Chrono to do it right. Current turnaround time is about 5 weeks for the turret. That's pretty good as last summer took a few months. If your going to do it, I would quickly before the wait goes back up.

The CDS rocks. I shoot 4-5 in groups at 600 with mine. I have them on all my rifles now. Get it and don't look back. You'll need a Chrono to do it right. Current turnaround time is about 5 weeks for the turret. That's pretty good as last summer took a few months. If your going to do it, I would quickly before the wait goes back up.

The CDS has no affect on group size.

The CDS has no affect on group size.

When they land in the center of your target it does...

The MOA system works too, that's what I use when I am waiting on the turrets to show up, but it adds an extra step. For hunting application the CDS system is faster and more efficient.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite. I don't like having a dedicated turret MOA dials are plentry fast if you know what you are doing. I din'see them as an extra step. In my opinion, it's more accurate as yardages stretch as well. mtmuley

Will Leopold take your tested drop/yardage in moa or inches to make your custom turret?
I only here reference to load, fps, bc data being used.

I believe the custom turret is the way to go for a hunting rifle at reasonable hunting ranges.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the CDS turret will have a stop at zero so you always know where zero is. I don't believe this can be done with the moa turret.
Being one full rotation off happens to people quite often.

Will Leopold take your tested drop/yardage in moa or inches to make your custom turret?

I believe the custom turret is the way to go for a hunting rifle at reasonable hunting ranges.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the CDS turret will have a stop at zero so you always know where zero is. I don't believe this can be done with the moa turret.

Correct.

Instructions for installing a zero stop on the MOA CDS are easy to find...

Used to have Nikon Monarchs with BDC and tried the Leupold VX3 CDS and love the heck out of them. I now have 3. The original was on my Sako 300 Win Mag and practiced a lot with it shot out to 400 yard every time with an occasional 500 to 600 yard shot. Ordered the custom dial (actually 2) for my ammo and hunting conditions. First elk shot we ranged at 368 yards, shot it 3 times (1st shot was lethal, double lungs) but went by the rule keep shooting until its down. Second elk as a chip shot at 120 yards, with 2 shots, both in the chest. Had some problems with the Sako (didn't always go bang) and got a new Winchester Model 70 supergrade in 300 win mag and moved the scope over to that gun. Still doing a ton of practice typically 400 yards with the occasional 500 yard ad 600 yard shots at the range. Last fall during 3rd rifle season in CO ranged my elk at 450 yards set the dial to 450 and took out the liver and lungs (slight quartering away shot, entered right side liver and left lung) 2nd shot I wasn't to proud of because it spun and was even more quartering away and now exposing it's left side, got the left hip, but it dropped there and rolled down the hill. Have also used it on some deer but now have the same scope on my 30-06 and 270. In 3 elk using the CDS system with appropriate dial for ammo and conditions I can account (via holes in elk) for all 7 rounds from 100 to 450 yards. I credit lots of range time, hunting time and great equipment.

Liked my Nikon, great glass, but never got really used the BDC system on them, to many lines for a simple mind.

As long as you practice at appropriate ranges, and then have time to range the animal and set the dial on the CDS system I have nothing but praise.

I do set my zero spot on at 200 yards (not an inch high at 100) for the exact ammo I'll be using and order the dial for that 200 yard zero, bullet/load, temperature, and altitude. One could argue that you could do the same with any scope and shoot out to 400 yards and never have the crosshairs leave the body of the animal. For me it is a confidence thing I guess , range the animal set the dial and pull the trigger don't have to worry about adjusting for bullet drop even an inch.

Also I could use the MOA dial and a cheat sheet but again, I've developed a ton of confidence with the CDS system and don't mind spending the $80 bucks for dials.

Haven't had to use the dial in shooting whitetails here in SD with the 06 or 270, all my shots have been 200 yards and in. Also tends to be a little windy here which brings in windage and the CDS doesn't adjust for windage, at least mine doesn't. Of course I get to practice in the wind but adjusting for windage on the range is different, If I guess wrong the target doesn't limp off never to be seen again. For me 400 plus shots the conditions must be as near perfect as you can get. My 450 yard shot I had a light snow falling, and it was falling straight down where I was shooting from and where the elk was standing.

And finally just a plug for the Bears Ears Sportsmans Club in Craig Colorado, they run a great range and we always stop there when we get into town to re-sight our rifles and donate to the cause. Always ding the gong at 400 yards with my Leupold CDS VX3

I bought a close-out VX-6 with CDS. When I had my turret made, I did what many on here suggested and just had simple 1/4 MOA markings engraved. Since I don’t have a rangefinder that can be programmed to match a custom dial, and I hunt in different temperatures and at different elevations, that works best for me. If, on the other hand, I had a rangefinder that took my sight in information and the current atmospheric factors into consideration, I would have a dial matched to my load. My brother just ranges, dials and shoots with his G7/Gunwerks set up without worrying about temperature or elevation changes.

I have a CDS on my 300 Win Mag tracks very well out to 700 yards have not checked it any farther.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back