Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Leupold Alumina caps

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Use caution with the cover for the eyepiece. I had one, which was open and folded over all the way, turn on the scope while the cover was open. I didn't notice it was turned when I shot the rifle. When I cycled the bolt to reload, I managed to completely jam the folded over cover between the bolt handle and the scope, locking the bolt up. Genuine wtf moment, with an elk on the far end of all of this. I won't use them on the eyepiece any more. Objective cover is fine and they work well, I still use those. fwiw

I have them on both my VX-5HD scopes.

I grew up having butler creek caps on every scope so maybe how I carry/handle a rifle is different than those that have trouble. Compared to the Butler Creek caps the Alumina’s are much higher quality and a bit quieter.

The only thing I don’t like about the Alumina caps is with gloves on they are a tad more difficult to open than the butler creek (both the objective and eyepiece). Butler Creek objective cover has a slightly more protrusive tab that is easier to find without looking with gloves on. The Butler Creek eyepiece has the “red button” that is also much more pronounced than the Alumina’s black and more integrated/streamlined button latch. They are also almost too silent, I sometimes have to look to make sure they are opened after pressing the button with gloves as the positive feedback whether it’s the sound or feel is not as strong as the Butler Creek caps.

It still amazes me how many scopes I see with no covers, the bikini covers etc. Then hearing stories I couldn’t get a shot because the scope had snow in it etc. baffles me. Maybe my dad was ahead of his time but Butler Creek caps were always a must have accessory and carrying my .22 around in the squirrel woods all those years I would practice opening and closing the caps as I walked through the woods so when I’m cradle carrying a rifle to the point it’s part of the process when I draw my rifle up to my shoulder now.

Butler Creeks used to be around $20 for a set, last pair of Alumina caps I got was right at $100 I believe. I do not think they are $80 better, but on a nice rifle they sure look better. They also don’t cover the “Gold Ring” on the Leupold scope.

My advice: if you haven’t used scope covers before maybe try the Butler Creek ones first to make sure you like having the covers. My step brother is like some above and he refuses to use them, he somehow had one of the butler creek caps torn off walking through brush carrying one of my dads guns so idk what my dad and I do different - I guess we aren’t hard on stuff.

How much clearance do they need? Can’t find that in the spec sheet data.
I dont know for sure. The setup is a leupold 40mm objective on tikka t3 rifle. I normally buy medium height rings. Ill try to pull it out of the safe and take a few pics once im back home. On a hunting trip currently.

The butler creek ones i had broke while pulling the rifle out of the scabbord which is integrated into the pack i was using - eberlestock x1a.

How much clearance do they need? Can’t find that in the spec sheet data.
I have a set of Burris branded covers that appear to made by Butler Creek. Thickness of the cover for a 44mm objective is 0.067".

They are not the quality of Leupolds but I am glad I spent the few dollars I did for them.

BTW - After learning the proper way to install the Leupolds per KoolBreeze's post, I have a new respect for the price they charge and better value than I realized. Not quite the wallet shock I felt earlier but it's still there.

Well, I’m trying to give Leupold some of my money, but for some reason I cannot order from their website. Given I likely won’t have them from another vendor before I leave on my hunting trip next week, it’ll just have to wait until I get home.

Personally, I hate the ones I have on my vx-6hd. There are still on there, for now….

Butler Creeks used to be around $20 for a set, last pair of Alumina caps I got was right at $100 I believe. I do not think they are $80 better, but on a nice rifle they sure look better. They also don’t cover the “Gold Ring” on the Leupold scope.

My advice: if you haven’t used scope covers before maybe try the Butler Creek ones first to make sure you like having the covers. My step brother is like some above and he refuses to use them, he somehow had one of the butler creek caps torn off walking through brush carrying one of my dads guns so idk what my dad and I do different - I guess we aren’t hard on stuff.
I agree with this 100%, Butler Creeks have been nothing but good to me and are very reasonably priced, always wanted the Leupold ones simply for the cool look but could never justify the price tag because the Butler Creek ones have always worked for me, have Butler Creek caps and leupold scopes on all my rifles

Those Leupold Alumina covers definitely look nice, but they sure are $$$. I have used the Butler Creek Flip Open covers for many years, and have them on all of my scopes on my guns from .22 to .300 Wby mag, and have never had a problem with them. Just ordered another set for my incoming Leupold 177228, that will go on my muzzleloader. They work great for me.

Last edited:
I have them on both my VX-5HD scopes.

I grew up having butler creek caps on every scope so maybe how I carry/handle a rifle is different than those that have trouble. Compared to the Butler Creek caps the Alumina’s are much higher quality and a bit quieter.

The only thing I don’t like about the Alumina caps is with gloves on they are a tad more difficult to open than the butler creek (both the objective and eyepiece). Butler Creek objective cover has a slightly more protrusive tab that is easier to find without looking with gloves on. The Butler Creek eyepiece has the “red button” that is also much more pronounced than the Alumina’s black and more integrated/streamlined button latch. They are also almost too silent, I sometimes have to look to make sure they are opened after pressing the button with gloves as the positive feedback whether it’s the sound or feel is not as strong as the Butler Creek caps.

It still amazes me how many scopes I see with no covers, the bikini covers etc. Then hearing stories I couldn’t get a shot because the scope had snow in it etc. baffles me. Maybe my dad was ahead of his time but Butler Creek caps were always a must have accessory and carrying my .22 around in the squirrel woods all those years I would practice opening and closing the caps as I walked through the woods so when I’m cradle carrying a rifle to the point it’s part of the process when I draw my rifle up to my shoulder now.

Same here...can't imagine a hunting scope without some type of flip open scope covers on it.

Don't use them either, can't remember not getting a shot because of crap on the scope lenses. Had a Redfield scope years ago that fogged up internally after falling over onto hard ground, shot a real nice buck with it, just centered the blur. The Alumina caps do look good though.

There is no comparison. The Leupold caps are the only quality legitimate flip up caps out there, in a class of their own and worth every penny. I used to use butler creeks back in the day. Now my two main rifles have Leopolds with alumina caps. Everything else gets no cap at all. I'm not wasting time struggling with junky caps taped onto my scope.

Oh and loopys warranty covers the caps too. I had one lost the o ring. I called loopy and the guy didn't argue or ask questions about how it happened, but he wanted my address so fast I couldn't give it to him quickly enough so they could mail me out a new o ring asap.
It's stuff like that that makes me not even question me purchasing another Leopold.

There is no comparison. The Leupold caps are the only quality legitimate flip up caps out there, in a class of their own and worth every penny. I used to use butler creeks back in the day. Now my two main rifles have Leopolds with alumina caps. Everything else gets no cap at all. I'm not wasting time struggling with junky caps taped onto my scope.

Oh and loopys warranty covers the caps too. I had one lost the o ring. I called loopy and the guy didn't argue or ask questions about how it happened, but he wanted my address so fast I couldn't give it to him quickly enough so they could mail me out a new o ring asap.
It's stuff like that that makes me not even question me purchasing another Leopold.
This alone makes me want to get a pair for my main hunting rifle, might have to after reading this. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back